I WON a Carnival Cruise! Which ship do I choose?

tamtot

43 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I agree with this.I have cruised on many different Carnival ships and compared each of them. Had I never cruised on Carnival, I would have really liked everything about the Vista class ships. But when I compare that class to the Dream class, I prefer the Dream class. 

I think that new cruisers will really like the Vista class because the ships are newer and have more to offer. Having sailed twice on this class, I can't get over the bad theater set up and the comedy club setup. This will not bother new cruisers.

I agree.  I did not like the theater set up on Vista.  I too prefer Dream class ships.

13 hours ago, tamtot said:

Ah, I'm glad to hear this, as that's the one we're leaning towards.

What type of cabin did you have? Pros/cons?

Thank you!

We had an interior.  I've done pretty much all types of cabins but I just don't spend much time in the cabin so I usually go with the interior.  Also, I love how dark it gets in an interior so I can sleep well.  We had no problems at all.  We just returned on the 25th and I posted my review with lots of pictures and the Fun Times here on Cruise Critic if you might find that helpful.  We did the six day itinerary.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mlshum said:

We had an interior.  I've done pretty much all types of cabins but I just don't spend much time in the cabin so I usually go with the interior.  Also, I love how dark it gets in an interior so I can sleep well.  We had no problems at all.  We just returned on the 25th and I posted my review with lots of pictures and the Fun Times here on Cruise Critic if you might find that helpful.  We did the six day itinerary.

I had one more thought....if you’re like me and love a busy itinerary, our favorite itinerary is the Southern Caribbean out of Puerto Rico.  The downside is that the ship, Fascination, is the sister ship to Sensation, which I know you said you didn’t like.  

19 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I’d do Horizon in a Havana cabana. That’s next on my Carnival list.

This is my recommendation.  Especially since you like to relax and they have their own private shared pool/hot tubs.

2 hours ago, tamtot said:

What's the theater set up issue?

No issue really. On the newer ships, Carnival reduced the number of seats so as to not have half empty theater shows. I've been on older ships and even when the cruise was at full capacity,  the theaters always looked half empty during shows. Basically, the theaters were too big for the average audience. 

Because of this, long time cruisers think the space is now too crowded.  Also, some people get to the shows late and are left sitting in the handful of seats without the best sight lines.

If you want to see a show and you want to get a floor seat,  plan on arriving early to get the best seats. 

Edited by cruizergal70

20 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

No issue really. On the newer ships, Carnival reduced the number of seats so as to not have half empty theater shows. I've been on older ships and even when the cruise was at full capacity,  the theaters always looked half empty during shows. Basically, the theaters were too big for the average audience. 

Because of this, long time cruisers think the space is now too crowded.  Also, some people get to the shows late and are left sitting in the handful of seats without the best sight lines.

If you want to see a show and you want to get a floor seat,  plan on arriving early to get the best seats. 

I have noticed in the upper level a lot of people walk in and if they can't get a seat right by the entrance they either leave or just stand in the doorway giving others the illusion of it being standing room only.

Edited by Saint Greg

That is not the issue I have with the theater. The Vista class theater has movable chairs on the bottom floor. The balcony only offers good seats in the first row. Anything else and you see someone's head in front of you. The seating is such that there are very few decent views of the stage. It reminds me of an old high school gym. I was surprised that Carnival would put something like this in its newest and largest ships.

We always arrive early for shows, so that has nothing to do with it. They put in a two level theater instead of a three level. The balcony seats aren't like the ones in the Dream class.  Anyway, it's the worst theater set up in any cruise line I have ever cruised. 

Edited by TNcruising02

52 minutes ago, ummgood said:

This is my recommendation.  Especially since you like to relax and they have their own private shared pool/hot tubs.

I wonder if his boss gave him a carte blanche on a spending limit, suites?

18 minutes ago, coevan said:

I wonder if his boss gave him a carte blanche on a spending limit, suites?

Not unlimited. no. But am I super grateful. SO excited. Plenty for a nice balcony cabin:-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coevan said:

that's an awesome boss you have, take the balcony. I mentioned this because people are talking about Havana on the Horizon which are quite pricey.

I showed the Havana to hubs, but he wasn't a fan. (I think the swing looks phenomenal). We love walking right out and looking down at the water from the railing. Soooo, I think we're gonna do Horizon balcony, do adjoining,

and hopefully we'll be able to remove the divider and share our balcony with our travel buddies:-)

A little off topic, but on Carnival do you need to book specialty restaurants ahead of time?

most people do, we always book on board, so if we don't like the MDR menu, we go to the Steakhouse. We have always got a table. Teppanyaki does require a reservation as they like to fill the tables and it can sell out. 

On 2/6/2020 at 5:48 PM, tamtot said:

Thank you. I was leaning towards Horizon,

but it seems to get such mixed reviews.

But I sort of think how bad can it be? ===> Exactly.

Built in 2018, must be pretty great.

Stop reading reviews, seriously. They're the most off-putting things.
I haven't read or written a review in decades now.

Just GO. You'll have a great time.

On 2/6/2020 at 8:01 PM, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I’d do Horizon in a Havana cabana. That’s next on my Carnival list.

I'd second this recommendation.   Regarding specialty dining,  you can get a 3 night package for 60 pp instead of 68 consisting of 1 night in steakhouse and 2 nights in either Jiji's Asian, cucina del capitano italian or 15pp credit at bonsai sushi.

2 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I'd second this recommendation.   Regarding specialty dining,  you can get a 3 night package for 60 pp instead of 68 consisting of 1 night in steakhouse and 2 nights in either Jiji's Asian, cucina del capitano italian or 15pp credit at bonsai sushi.

Such a helpful tip! Thank you.

1 hour ago, Aplmac said:

Stop reading reviews, seriously. They're the most off-putting things.
I haven't read or written a review in decades now.

Just GO. You'll have a great time.

That's great advice. Thank you!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cbaker1974 said:

Former RCL fan here...sailed the Horizon last summer and absolutely loved it, preferred it over RCL Oasis class.  Just a more "fun" cruise all around, yet still having the conveniences of a modern ship.

It’s interesting how people’s perspectives change over time. I am in the opposite situation in that I have been a long time Carnival fan and have enjoyed cruising on Carnival, but lately find RCI more appealing to the point our next 5 cruise are booked on RCI. I have always thought RCI’s ships were far superior to Carnival’s ships, but I enjoyed the atmosphere on Carnival’s ships more. But over the last few years that has slowly been changing to the point that I now enjoy the atmosphere on RCI’s ships more.

I think both Carnival and RCI offer a great product and it basically comes down to what each person expects/wants from a cruise. For me one of the biggest negatives with Carnival is I am not a big fan of their Vista class ships for several reasons, even though they are Carnival’s newest ships. I know a lot of people who love Vista class ships based on the Havana area. I have read countless posts on this site from people saying they will only cruise in a Havana cabin from now on. In my opinion that isn’t an overall positive point when you consider Havana cabins are only a small percentage of the cabins available on Vista class ships. Hopefully Mardi Gras will be a significant improvement over Vista class ships and will help renew my interest in cruising on Carnival. 

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

It’s interesting how people’s perspectives change over time. I am in the opposite situation in that I have been a long time Carnival fan and have enjoyed cruising on Carnival, but lately find RCI more appealing to the point our next 5 cruise are booked on RCI. I have always thought RCI’s ships were far superior to Carnival’s ships, but I enjoyed the atmosphere on Carnival’s ships more. But over the last few years that has slowly been changing to the point that I now enjoy the atmosphere on RCI’s ships more.

I think both Carnival and RCI offer a great product and it basically comes down to what each person expects/wants from a cruise. For me one of the biggest negatives with Carnival is I am not a big fan of their Vista class ships for several reasons, even though they are Carnival’s newest ships. I know a lot of people who love Vista class ships based on the Havana area. I have read countless posts on this site from people saying they will only cruise in a Havana cabin from now on. In my opinion that isn’t an overall positive point when you consider Havana cabins are only a small percentage of the cabins available on Vista class ships. Hopefully Mardi Gras will be a significant improvement over Vista class ships and will help renew my interest in cruising on Carnival. 

I think this is a great perspective...at the end of the day, what we may be looking for is "something new" or "something different".  I admire all of the folks who are diamond or platinum or whatever top loyalty statuses are for different lines - some of the perks are really nice.  However that also comes with having to eat a lot of Guys Burgers or Chops steakhouse, or Cagney's ... I'm sure it gets old after awhile.  I'm eager to check out NCL next and will probably try to rotate lines to keep things fresh...some people like consistency, but I want to be careful not to fall into too much of a routine while on vacation.

3 hours ago, cbaker1974 said:

I'm sure it gets old after awhile.  I'm eager to check out NCL next and will probably try to rotate lines to keep things fresh...some people like consistency, but I want to be careful not to fall into too much of a routine while on vacation.

I can relate with what you're saying.  14 out of my first 18 cruises were on Carnival  and only 4 out of my last 17 have been on Carnival.   As you can see from my signature, I have future sailings booked on the Enchanted Princess, Mardi Gras and Apex, all of them the newest from their respective lines.  Will also be cruising on the newly refurbished Oasis when she cruises out of Bayonne  for the first time this summer.

I can highly recommend the Celebrity  Edge, which we were just on as well as the NCL Escape, which is the only ship I have sailed on 3 times.