Explorer: What Kind of Step Up is it After Sailing X and Princess?

3 hours ago, MamaFej said:

We have our first and second Oceania cruises in about 13 months. We have the lowest Concierge Veranda cabin. Would we be better off switching to a regular veranda and saving some money?

TiA

MamaFej, this is a question that you may have better info if posed in the Oceania forum.

Here is a link to a recent thread that may help.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2721224-current-info-on-concierge-benefits-please/?tab=comments#comment-59062551

Bob

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MamaFej said:

We have our first and second Oceania cruises in about 13 months. We have the lowest Concierge Veranda cabin. Would we be better off switching to a regular veranda and saving some money?

TiA

I think this is the wrong board for this question.  The folks over on the Oceania board will be happy to advise you.

• Thanks 1

Oceania is one level above Princess and Celebrity  (Princess/Celebrity is Premium and Oceania is "Premium Plus" or "Luxury Light". ) We have sailed on Celebrity in a Royal Suite (and (Oceania).  The suite-only restaurant on Celebrity was good and the suite-only lounge (Michael's) was exceptional.  However, once you join the rest of the ship, it reminds me of a lower level ship (like NCL, Royal Caribbean or Carnival).  

Most people that try Regent do not go back to Celebrity or Princess (if they can afford Regent).  Actually, when you add the cost of specialty restaurants, tips, airfare and excursions, Regent is not much more than Celebrity (or Princess).  

The one thing that some people from larger ships do not like is the lack of craziness and other things to do that may or may not include children.  With the exception of SOME summer cruises, Regent is not set up to handle children.  If they cannot entertain themselves, they will be bored.  

In any case, although Oceania is not equal to Princess or Celebrity, they could give you some comparisons as many Oceania cruisers started with Celebrity (more than Princess) and graduated to Oceania, Azamara and Viking Ocean.  

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2020 at 10:30 AM, DavidTheWonderer said:

In another post you mentioned you like preferred boarding, which I think you already have. You also said you like priority tendering and a specialty restaurant whenever you want. Are there any other perks that you think you should have?

Would it be just as good if instead Regent took away some amenities from folks in the lesser cabins? Maybe they could be barred from the Observation Lounge, for example.

Ahhh David.  I think Wendy is your wife.  I know her.  Met her years ago and if she remembers me, she will remember I am just a regular girl.  Don't EXPECT anything over the top.  Love life, but there are some things I "would like".  Doesn't mean I demand.  Doesn't mean I elbow my way, but I do think if I am making an effort to be somewhere and pay for it, I would pay more for more.  I suspect it is a different way of thinking.  You might also know I am willing to let others have my perks should they need them (needy or ill).  Nothing I can say would change how you "view" me, but you are amiss I believe and also all of you who have made sour comments.  Maybe someday we can be in a situation where I would help you--I would be the first!

• Like 2

I love cruising with Cunard.  I really enjoy travelling in the Queen's Grill and all the perks that come with it.  The Q5 or Q6 cabins suit my needs perfectly.  The larger suites are a waste of my resources.  But, I'm glad they offer them to people who wish to spend their money in that way.  When I am in other parts of the ship, no one knows my class of travel.  That's okay.  It's how it's organized and sold.  It's great.

I also love cruising with Regent.  I like the F1 and F2 cabins.  They suit my needs perfectly.  The larger suites are a waste of my resources.  But, I'm glad they offer them to people who wish to spend their money in that way.  When I am out and about the ship, no one knows my class of travel.  That's okay.  It's how it's organized and sold.  It's great.

You can love both and not be unfaithful.  I like both because I encounter really nice people who make traveling around the world fun and interesting.  If you are getting a perk because you spent "X" more, please enjoy it.  You paid for it.

I can't compare Regent to X or Princess as we've only strayed from Regent once, a 15-night Christmas cruise on Cunard, which was nice...but not our cup of tea.

We chose Regent back in 2009 for a 'once-in-a-lifetime' cruise - 7 nights Monte Carlo - Athens, and figured it would be a good vacation and we'd have some nice memories and photos to show for it.  Well, by the 3rd day we'd booked another one.  We just completed our 11th with three more booked.

Although we didn't *hate* Cunard, we did hate having to swipe our card for everything.  We didn't care for the hordes of people on board.  We also disliked the nickle-and-dime feeling we got the entire trip.  When it was all said and done, the cruise on Cunard was close to what we'd have paid on Regent - and we just enjoyed the Regent experience much more.

So as others have said, one's choice of a cruise line is a personal choice and what works for one may not work for another.  We were just having a discussion with some people last week about cruising - we said we prefer Regent, and someone else in the crowd pretty much said we were stupid for spending so much on a cruise when you can get the same experience on Carnival.  Really.  Since it was a work function, I let it go...but it made me think that there are cruise lines for everyone, and just because I love Regent, not everyone will.  And that's cool.

I'd say give Regent a try - you'll either find it a good fit for you, or not.  Either way, you'll know.

• Like 1

I'm an odd duck in that all my of my adult cruising (save an econo cruise with a now defunct cruiseline in 1998 on the MS Sundream) have all been with Regent.. and we only, just to try it, went on Princess just this past fall to give it a whirl on a 7 day California coast cruise.

While it was OK, so many things were lackluster it's worth the premium for us to go Regent, likely going forward.

Princess wasn't a horrible experience, but just so many small things that are a non-issue with Regent. The food was generally quite good on Princess, I'd actually go so far as to say I might have preferred the buffet there, but everything else was just not even in the same league. Of course, it should go without saying, but that's not saying Princess is bad, it isn't.

The attention, the quality of food (in general), a real room service menu, the ship condition, genuine care of staff, not pressured for upselling, NOT ENOUGH SEATS IN VENUES (my most surprising issue that I took for granted!), just so many things.

Edited by slidebite

• 2 weeks later...

As others have said ...trying to compare Princess or X or Cunard to Regent is  like  apples  to mangoes or Plonk  to a good Bordeaux 

I agree that Oceania is a step or 2 up from Princess .....i do not think its fair to try and compare Princess Grill on Cunard or various suites on any mass market ship to anything on  Regent   ....the bottom line is the quality of food and service on Regent is superb .....yes the quality of any the staterooms on Regent is superb (i dont think you need a suite but thats my opinion ) as is the attention to detail by housekeeping ...the all inclusive nature of Regent along with the service , with drinks, internet, tours etc  is what sets it apart ....compare Regent to Seabourn or Crystal or Viking of course is fine but you have to factor in everything ....recently Regent prices have shot up therefore if you do not drink or use internet or go on tours its pricey because your paying for things you dont use .....but the bottom line is you get what you pay for or can afford 

On 3/2/2020 at 12:55 AM, phillipahain said:

As others have said ...trying to compare Princess or X or Cunard to Regent is  like  apples  to mangoes or Plonk  to a good Bordeaux 

I agree that Oceania is a step or 2 up from Princess .....i do not think its fair to try and compare Princess Grill on Cunard or various suites on any mass market ship to anything on  Regent   ....the bottom line is the quality of food and service on Regent is superb .....yes the quality of any the staterooms on Regent is superb (i dont think you need a suite but thats my opinion ) as is the attention to detail by housekeeping ...the all inclusive nature of Regent along with the service , with drinks, internet, tours etc  is what sets it apart ....compare Regent to Seabourn or Crystal or Viking of course is fine but you have to factor in everything ....recently Regent prices have shot up therefore if you do not drink or use internet or go on tours its pricey because your paying for things you dont use .....but the bottom line is you get what you pay for or can afford 

See, we DO use all of those 'Regent-included' things so when the dust clears, Regent is usually the value leader for us in the luxury cruise field.  Yes, they're expensive up front.  But for us it's better than being charged for EVERYTHING and/or getting a big bill when we disembark.

I guess I really am becoming a Regent cheerleader.  🙂