Explorer: What Kind of Step Up is it After Sailing X and Princess?

We got info from our travel agent that Regent has some great deals on cabin fares for upcoming May 2020 cruises on Explorer.

My DW and I have always wanted to try Regent and this may a good time to jump on with the great savings.

What kind of cruise experience will we have versus our 2 favorite cruise lines (X and Princess)?  I've read some reviews here and some good and bad, some people indicating food not up to par with expectations and issues with the onboard internet.

Our last Princess cruise was Regal and X was Solstice which we enjoyed very much. 

I appreciate all the responses and look forward to sailing Regent.

Thanks,

Need2Cruise

Edited by need2cruisesoon

14 hours ago, need2cruisesoon said:

We got info from our travel agent that Regent has some great deals on cabin fares for upcoming May 2020 cruises on Explorer.

My DW and I have always wanted to try Regent and this may a good time to jump on with the great savings.

What kind of cruise experience will we have versus our 2 favorite cruise lines (X and Princess)?  I've read some reviews here and some good and bad, some people indicating food not up to par with expectations and issues with the onboard internet.

Our last Princess cruise was Regal and X was Solstice which we enjoyed very much. 

I appreciate all the responses and look forward to sailing Regent.

Thanks,

Need2Cruise

Need2Cruise, with the proviso that everyone has their own opinion, and that your opinion may vary from any that you read here, I will chime in.

My wife and I had cruised quite extensively on Princess, RCCL, Celebrity.  Several years ago for my wife's milestone birthday, we decided that for a special event, we would give the luxury cruise market a try, and booked a cruise on Regent.  I told her to bear in mind that this would be for a special occasion only, and that we would be returning to our usual lines thereafter.  I was quite adamant about this.

Being a man of my word 🙄, we will be embarking on our 11th Regent cruise next month, our 12th in June, and are in the process of looking to book more. So I must caution you that if you do sail on Regent, you may have a problem, in that going back to the other lines may be difficult!

So the short answer is that for us, there is a world of difference between Regent, (and other luxury lines such as Crystal and SS) and the mainstream lines.  The quality and offerings of cuisine, the level of service, the size of the ships, little touches here and there, make sailing on Regent an entirely different experience.  I must say, however, that the recent reports about internet are somewhat troubling. Other negatives?  If you dislike cruise line excursions and prefer to tour on your own, you must bear in mind that you are paying for these excursions in your fare whether you want them or not. (This is not a problem for us as we are generally well satisfied with Regent's variety and quality of excursions, but not everyone is.)

Yes, you will read some negative reports, that is true of every cruise line.  Everyone has their own opinion, no more or less valid than anyone else's, and it is always possible that any given cruise may have it's glitches.  FWIW, when I am cruising, when I meet fellow passengers, I generally ask how they are enjoying their cruise.  The responses are consistently positive, usually enthusiastically so.   The number of negative responses I have received could probably be counted on one hand.

If you have any specific questions, please ask.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I must say, however, that the recent reports about internet are somewhat troubling."

Bob - just read a report from someone on Splendor right now who says the internet is working well.   That is good news for us for next month!  And if they have got it to work on Splendor surely they know what the problem is on the other ships and can fix it.

Need2Cruise - I have never sailed a mid or low range cruise company (aside from the Union Castle line and the Italian line but that was a long long time ago when ships were transport and not "cruising") so it is hard for me to make comparisons but I can tell you that both Regent and Oceania are excellent choices.  We sail both.  In terms of how the ships look, the comfort, the service etc, I see nothing between them. I find the food better on Oceania but Regent seems to have "upped its game" lately on that score.    But there are times when we do not want "all inclusive" because we don't need the excursions.  So that is when we opt for Oceania which is sort of an "à la carte" basis rather than an all-inclusive basis.

Edited by Hambagahle

At one time we cruised, almost exclusively, on Celebrity, but I found a good deal on a Regent cruise through the Middle East and persuaded my DH to go although he was rather nervous about the location. We were hooked - not exclusively it has to be said - but we are now drawn to Regent as most things are definitely a cut above. The only area where I find Celebrity to be better is at breakfast but, frankly, I can manage on slimmer pickings for one meal a day. If only I could go without the meal altogether!

We took 2 cruises in suite class with Celebrity and enjoyed both of them. However we prefer Regent as everything is included. Overall we have had good luck with the included excursions.  I have had the same good and bad luck with private tours as included tours so i never expect perfection on any tour. 

I think the food taste and selection on Regent is by far better than X. Though we enjoyed the food in Luminae, i believe Regent is overall more superior.  Another plus is having a hot breakfast served promptly in our cabin on a port day with early excursions. 

need2cruisesoon, a good way to get an idea as to what a Regent cruise is like is to read live trip reports.  There are 2 currently on this forum, one from the Explorer and one from the just launched Splendor, which is a sister ship to the Explorer.

• Like 1

No comparison, apples and oranges( not pears!!)

Size, space, service, food, drinks, no tipping, no nickel and dime costs everywhere, relaxed approach, no set dining,, no tuxedos at dawn, everything Regent is manageable and feels like luxury. Cost upfront may look high but in reality that's it, last year 22 days to Norway, ships bill at the end £0.

• Like 2

First, here are some numbers to compare.  The gross tonnage (GT) is a rough measure of how much space is available on the ship.  Dividing by the number of passengers gives an indication of how uncrowded the ship is, so the higher the better.

Regal Princess: 40 GT / passenger

Regent Explorer: 72 GT / passenger

The number of passengers per crew member will be correlated with the level of service the crew can provide.  The lower the better.

Regal Princess: 2.6 passengers / crew

Regent Explorer: 1.4 passengers / crew

Both space and staff are expensive, so Regent is similarly more expensive but gives you a lot more space and much more personalised service.

Regarding a cost comparison, when you factor in the included air, excursions, gratuities, alcohol, etc. on Regent, the "all in" price difference between Princess and Regent is much less than you might think.

Others have nicely summarised the comparisons for general ambience, etc. so I won't go much further, except for one observation.  Because Regal has 3560 passengers compared to 750 on Explorer, the breadth of entertainment options on Regal will be broader than Explorer; the other side of the same coin is that the ambience on Regent will be more casual and relaxed.  Some prefer the former, and others the latter.  Personally, I have about 160 nights on Regent with another 117 booked for a 2021 world cruise, so my preference is pretty obvious.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer
  • Like 2

Bit don't forget it's all perception - it's what you like or dislike.  what's great for one person may not important to someone else.  You'll need to cruise for yourself , you'll like it, maybe like it or dislike it.  Once you cruise you'll know if you want to cruise again. 

I can say we enjoy Regent, but again it's what we like.

7 hours ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

Personally, I have about 160 nights on Regent with another 117 booked for a 2021 world cruise, so my preference is pretty obvious.

Dave, thanks for all the information and statistics regarding Regent and the other lines.

Hopefully I'll see you onboard one of these days, a world cruise is certainly on our bucket list....

On 2/7/2020 at 5:32 AM, boblerm said:

Need2Cruise, with the proviso that everyone has their own opinion, and that your opinion may vary from any that you read here, I will chime in.

Yes, you will read some negative reports, that is true of every cruise line.  Everyone has their own opinion, no more or less valid than anyone else's, and it is always possible that any given cruise may have it's glitches.  FWIW, when I am cruising, when I meet fellow passengers, I generally ask how they are enjoying their cruise.  The responses are consistently positive, usually enthusiastically so.   The number of negative responses I have received could probably be counted on one hand.

Bob

Bob: thanks for the detailed report regarding Regent. We will have to give them a try and look forward to sailing Explorer.

Just curious if you have sailed Viking Ocean and what you think?

Need2Cruise

2 hours ago, need2cruisesoon said:

Bob: thanks for the detailed report regarding Regent. We will have to give them a try and look forward to sailing Explorer.

Just curious if you have sailed Viking Ocean and what you think?

Need2Cruise

Nees2Cruise, sorry, I haven't cruised on Viking Ocean, so can't help you there.  (I believe that their staterooms do not have bathtubs which does not sit well with DW!)  

What itinerary on Explorer are you looking at?

Bob

We are elite Celebrity cruisers plus have been on several other lines.  I can say hands down that Regent is a huge cut above.  From stateroom size (every room is a suite with a big walk in closet, double sinks, bathtub and separate shower).  Service is extraordinary.  But most of all, what I enjoy when I am on Regent is the fellow passengers.  If you are on Regent, it’s fair to assume you have a certain amount of expendable income and have probably achieved success in your career and life.  The people tend to be professional, down to earth, friendly and inclusive.  We made many good friends on our first Regent Cruise within hours of being on board.  They were all people with extraordinarily interesting lives and pasts and have nothing to prove or need to show off.  It’s expensive... yes!  And we still slip back to Celebrity for family cruises since we can’t afford to take everyone on Regent.  But to treat ourselves we choose Regent every time.  

• Like 2

We have over 400 days cruising, from insides on Carnival to suites on Holland and Celebrity.  We started on Radisson some time ago and now sail Regent exclusively.  You know the total price in advance so if you do a complete comparison it's not that much more expensive and the food, service and feeling of being remembered just can't be beat.

A Foodies Point of View    :{))

Yum...

Have cruised all the cruise lines and have had great & not so great great experiences, but Regent...

Example. I am not necessarily against buffets but certainly not for breakfast. On Regent, I love the breakfast buffet.

All sorts of wonderful things to pick from and then, the egg station. Not like the other cruiselines. You can order omelets, scrambles, swedish pancakes, etc. and then you just give them your table number and it is delivered to you when ready.

You have to try a cronut... It is a donut made out of a croissant and filled with custard. There every morning with a different topping. Could be chocolate, maple, coconut, etc.

Ice Cream ??? Everyday with many flavors to choose from and all the topping nearby for you to add. At our last Alaska cruise, they even included a bottle of Baileys and Grand Marnier with the regular toppings for you to add...at your discretion. No one hovering over you or asking for your cruise card since alcohol is included.

The Compass Rose changed their menu awhile back and it is quite extensive. You can have lobster every night if you wish. They also offer a special on most nights. Last year I got to try Kobe beef....fabulous.

On 2/7/2020 at 5:32 AM, boblerm said:

My wife and I had cruised quite extensively on Princess, RCCL, Celebrity.  Several years ago for my wife's milestone birthday, we decided that for a special event, we would give the luxury cruise market a try, and booked a cruise on Regent.  I told her to bear in mind that this would be for a special occasion only, and that we would be returning to our usual lines thereafter.  I was quite adamant about this.

Being a man of my word 🙄, we will be embarking on our 11th Regent cruise next month, our 12th in June, and are in the process of looking to book more. So I must caution you that if you do sail on Regent, you may have a problem, in that going back to the other lines may be difficult!

So the short answer is that for us, there is a world of difference between Regent, (and other luxury lines such as Crystal and SS) and the mainstream lines.  The quality and offerings of cuisine, the level of service, the size of the ships, little touches here and there, make sailing on Regent an entirely different experience.  I must say, however, that the recent reports about internet are somewhat troubling. Other negatives?  If you dislike cruise line excursions and prefer to tour on your own, you must bear in mind that you are paying for these excursions in your fare whether you want them or not. (This is not a problem for us as we are generally well satisfied with Regent's variety and quality of excursions, but not everyone is.)

Bob

Bob is really spot on.  We cruised on X in the best suite (can't remember the name) and the same for Princess, but no butler on Princess.  I don't mind that Regent includes tours since we have traveled so extensively, we frequently use the tours to get where we want to be and leave the tours, do our own things, and meet them to go back to the ship.  One thing I do not like on Regent as we travel in the Master Suite is that they don't differentiate in how they treat you no matter the class of suite you are in.  Personally, if I am paying 3 to 4 times I would like some perks.  I have heard that they are doing a little better now, I don't know.  We have several coming up.  Their food and entertainment is better, except Crystal who has better speakers.  

5 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

Bob is really spot on.  We cruised on X in the best suite (can't remember the name) and the same for Princess, but no butler on Princess.  I don't mind that Regent includes tours since we have traveled so extensively, we frequently use the tours to get where we want to be and leave the tours, do our own things, and meet them to go back to the ship.  One thing I do not like on Regent as we travel in the Master Suite is that they don't differentiate in how they treat you no matter the class of suite you are in.  Personally, if I am paying 3 to 4 times I would like some perks.  I have heard that they are doing a little better now, I don't know.  We have several coming up.  Their food and entertainment is better, except Crystal who has better speakers.  

Can see where your coming from, having paid for the master suite. However for me, one of the delights of Regent is the way that everybody is treated the same, not a ship within a ship. The haven concepts, or the class system of Cunard put me off. You do have the study on Explorer and Splendour, plus unlimited prime7 etc and the Captains table guarantee. Meeting and mixing is good, some upper suites do, others keep themselves to themselves.

3 hours ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Can see where your coming from, having paid for the master suite. However for me, one of the delights of Regent is the way that everybody is treated the same, not a ship within a ship. The haven concepts, or the class system of Cunard put me off. You do have the study on Explorer and Splendour, plus unlimited prime7 etc and the Captains table guarantee. Meeting and mixing is good, some upper suites do, others keep themselves to themselves.

We generally do not do the Captains table.  I like preferred boarding and tendering.  Also, I pretty much like to have a Specialty when I want one.  Those are the things I like.

On 2/10/2020 at 10:49 PM, Caroldoll said:

...  One thing I do not like on Regent as we travel in the Master Suite is that they don't differentiate in how they treat you no matter the class of suite you are in.  Personally, if I am paying 3 to 4 times I would like some perks. ...

In another post you mentioned you like preferred boarding, which I think you already have. You also said you like priority tendering and a specialty restaurant whenever you want. Are there any other perks that you think you should have?

Would it be just as good if instead Regent took away some amenities from folks in the lesser cabins? Maybe they could be barred from the Observation Lounge, for example.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

In another post you mentioned you like preferred boarding, which I think you already have. You also said you like priority tendering and a specialty restaurant whenever you want. Are there any other perks that you think you should have?

Would it be just as good if instead Regent took away some amenities from folks in the lesser cabins? Maybe they could be barred from the Observation Lounge, for example.

Sounds a bit too Cunard for my taste. That is about 50% what attracted me to Regent. That there were only limited differences of services  between cabin types (after all you do get the bigger cabin). The other 50% is the lack of formal nights on Regent.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Belfast Taxman said:

Sounds a bit too Cunard for my taste. That is about 50% what attracted me to Regent. That there were only limited differences of services  between cabin types (after all you do get the bigger cabin). The other 50% is the lack of formal nights on Regent.

Totally agree!!! Cunard to me sounds like the film Titanic with steerage and first kept apart-  ugh

After all where you eat which restaurants depend on your cabin, one reason we dislike the sister line Oceania is the suite lounge, not for all, would hate having to show ID to get into a lounge and being told 'this area is not for you sir' even SS events are not that monitored by Regent.

2 hours ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Totally agree!!! Cunard to me sounds like the film Titanic with steerage and first kept apart-  ugh

After all where you eat which restaurants depend on your cabin, one reason we dislike the sister line Oceania is the suite lounge, not for all, would hate having to show ID to get into a lounge and being told 'this area is not for you sir' even SS events are not that monitored by Regent.

Having been on Oceania a number of times in concierge and penthouse suites, the lounges are not much.  They have the air of a business center to them rather than a comfortable lounge.  With all the food and coffee/tea that is available on an Oceania cruise we really never used it, except when my DH needed to send some documents for business.  I find that the Regent Coffee Connection is much more enticing and is open to everyone.

14 hours ago, Ladys Mom said:

Having been on Oceania a number of times in concierge and penthouse suites, the lounges are not much.

I agree with you about this.  I only used the lounge to grab some coffee to bring back for my wife in the morning since it was close to my suite, but there was really nothing very special about it.

It does have a dedicated concierge with limited hours, but I had no more or less success in getting extra specialty restaurant reservations than I did when I did not have lounge access.