Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

LittleFish1976

Many thanks for your help. In one way if someone travelling from Sydney to Southampton was going to be left in Perth then they wouldn't have boarded in the first place, but I still understand the pro-rata approach regardless of the inconvenience caused.

Costs of hotel+flights should naturally be refunded as well. What do you mean by "something extra by way of compensation" in such cases? What could one expect from Cunard apart from the pro-rate + hotel + flights compensation?

1 hour ago, astera said:

Many thanks for your help. In one way if someone travelling from Sydney to Southampton was going to be left in Perth then they wouldn't have boarded in the first place, but I still understand the pro-rata approach regardless of the inconvenience caused.

Costs of hotel+flights should naturally be refunded as well. What do you mean by "something extra by way of compensation" in such cases? What could one expect from Cunard apart from the pro-rate + hotel + flights compensation?

Obviously I am giving my personal opinion.  But if someone has enjoyed many days at sea and the first half of a cruise itinerary, I don’t see a case for a full refund.  Compensating for the interruption of a holiday - over and above any additional costs such as hotel bills and flights home - is at the discretion of the company, but if someone had booked say the full round trip to Southampton I would expect the company to offer something over and above a partial refund.

3 hours ago, mandtpa said:

Does Cunard really think they will get the QM2 into and out of NY for our 31 May transatlantic?

Who knows what, if anything, Cunard is thinking!?  But we are booked on that cruise and the return, and we intend to ask for full refunds (not FCC) as soon as Cunard cancels those cruises.  Ditto our NCL Pearl cruise out of NY the week prior. After about 70 great cruises, we may be done with cruising altogether. This pandemic has really opened our eyes to cruise lines' shortcomings. We've long said the lines do OK when things go as planned, but they are usually lacking when problems arise, and the current crisis has demonstrated that in spades. And it will be a different world when this is over, and cruising, if it survives, may be a very different animal.

• Like 3

Greetings, well I am relieved to see that I am not the only one for the June 7th sailing!  I have been combing these boards and the Cunard site twice daily for updates - only to find the same old information.  I am hoping for this to be cancelled in order to obtain a cash refund - I will most likely book for next year, however, I would prefer the full refund and full flexibility to book whomever I choose!  Its really a shame that the companies are dragging this out.  

On 4/16/2020 at 9:27 PM, Trevor33 said:

. When cancelled Cunard will offer you a Future Cruise Credit(125%) or a cash refund but you will not receive the refund for up to 6 months. Seems wrong but you can still actually book

So they give you 125% credit against a cruise in the future that then said future cruise just happens to be increased in price by 25%. No, that will never happen. 🤠

• Like 1

It was the end of March before Cunard extended their cancellation from mid April till mid May. So some of those passengers were only a couple of weeks from sailing.

i should think they are still dealing with  those passengers. 
maybe the next slug of cancellations will be announced at the end of April? Maybe may 15th to June 15th? Then they will have another months worth of passengers to sort out.

I wouldn't be surprised if they rolled it forward like that.

30 minutes ago, beaveh said:

It was the end of March before Cunard extended their cancellation from mid April till mid May. So some of those passengers were only a couple of weeks from sailing.

i should think they are still dealing with  those passengers. 
maybe the next slug of cancellations will be announced at the end of April? Maybe may 15th to June 15th? Then they will have another months worth of passengers to sort out.

I wouldn't be surprised if they rolled it forward like that.

Depends what you mean by "dealing with". Our cruise was cancelled less than 24 hours before boarding and all I ever got was the initial cancellation email. No further advice, instructions, calls, nothing. Everything we've done since then has been from our own research and initiative. Not happy.

On 4/17/2020 at 3:19 PM, resordanis said:

No sign of mine either for 15th March cancellation!

I'll see you and raise you by 3+ weeks. My cruise was cancelled on 19 Feb - but supposed sailing date is still 3 weeks away.  Because they promised a full refund back on 19 Feb , I very foolishly allowed myself to be sucked into booking and paying in full  for another expensive cruise - which has now also been cancelled. My next cruise would have been my 10th with Cunard - I doubt that I will bother with another!!!!  Frankly the food on Princess (at least in Australian waters) is far superior to Cunard!!!! I have mostly sailed out of Southampton with Cunard ( 7 times) - and the food is (well) English!  Having said that however, I have also sailed a World Cruise with P&O UK and the food was also "English" there too.   The beers ( Ales) are good though! 🙂 

On 4/17/2020 at 9:20 PM, Poole Boy said:

Don't waste you time watching it. Nothing of any relevance except the crew are doing Zumba classes.

No information on when we get our refunds or a realistic date when sailings will start.

Just Cunard are wonderful, and hey book another cruise with us so we can cancel it  next week and hang onto you cash for 60 days.

60 days!!!!! Don't be a Muggins and fall for that!! 

50 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

I'll see you and raise you by 3+ weeks. My cruise was cancelled on 19 Feb - but supposed sailing date is still 3 weeks away.  Because they promised a full refund back on 19 Feb , I very foolishly allowed myself to be sucked into booking and paying in full  for another expensive cruise - which has now also been cancelled. My next cruise would have been my 10th with Cunard - I doubt that I will bother with another!!!!  Frankly the food on Princess (at least in Australian waters) is far superior to Cunard!!!! I have mostly sailed out of Southampton with Cunard ( 7 times) - and the food is (well) English!  Having said that however, I have also sailed a World Cruise with P&O UK and the food was also "English" there too.   The beers ( Ales) are good though! 🙂 

This was to be our 4th cruise with Cunard but all long cruises! This time last year we were in Yokohama on QE, what a difference in a year!

We did not enjoy the food last year, which is why we went for a PG. I find food very subjective, but had some absolutely wonderful food on Ovation of the Seas in February. The best in many years in their Coastal Kitchen!

We were almost due to book one of the super cheap Sapphire Princess circumnavigation cruises but at the last minute decided to wait until after the QE one. How glad I am that I waited!

Now  we are waiting, waiting and waiting.!

Edited by resordanis

Now the government has extended the lockdown for a further three weeks it seems obvious to me that Cunard will not be sailing from the middle of May. The suspension will unfortunately need to be extended further. Do others agree?

Yes completely agree,  however, Cunard are  well on top of things and will be making announcements from time to time, in line with updates from the WHO & the Government . 

We all need to be realistic, even though some Cunard cruises/voyages are still available for sale, no one will be going anywhere  (either by ship or aircraft) for several months yet, possibly into the new year I'm afraid.  

1 hour ago, Edithclara said:

We've also been told it may take up to 60 days for a refund. How do you suggest we get the refund sooner? Thanks.

Dispute it on your credit card. Can be done online in the US. Not sure in Britain

1 hour ago, Edithclara said:

We've also been told it may take up to 60 days for a refund. How do you suggest we get the refund sooner? Thanks.

Why not just be patient?  Carnival, and the whole cruising industry, faces an existential crisis, not of its making.  Meanwhile people in every country across the world are dying, losing their relatives to the virus, or losing their jobs.  

• Like 4

It is all well and good Simon Palethorpe telling us about how well the remaining crew on board are doing but what about the monies owed and wont be repaid for 60 days or worse if you booked with a Travel agent. He must be well aware that  other Carnival cruise lines have already advised that they will not be returning to cruising any time soon and he makes matters worse by not mentioning it. These are very sad times, Cunard have never been slow in asking for a deposit or payment but don't think it has anything to do with patience having been waiting since February 24th for a promised reply. 

What a lovely video by the Cunard president showing us how good the scones are and the recipe will be online soon, and the crew are enjoying themselves doing Zumba and fencing.

Come on man what about all the money you have not returned for the cruises you cancelled, no mention what so ever, except look at the website which is pathetic.

Can I please have my money back for the cruise you cancelled Cape Town to Southampton, I paid you deposit/full fair on time as per the contract - your obligation is to return it in 14 days as per the contract?

If I contact your website I can book a future cruise instantly, why can I not be refunded instantly for yur cancellation?

This is leaving a bad taste with me ever booking Cunard again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Edithclara said:

Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi

BEFORE you file a dispute in America please be sure to read up on what qualifies for a chargeback.  Easily researched on internet.  Plenty of resources.  You do not want to dispute casually.  Also, check out the Fair Credit Billing Act for more information.  I have a feeling having to  wait for a refund cannot be disputed.

Deck Chair

Edited by deck chair
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, deck chair said:

Hi

BEFORE you file a dispute in America please be sure to read up on what qualifies for a chargeback.  Easily researched on internet.  Plenty of resources.  You do not want to dispute casually.  Also, check out the Fair Credit Billing Act for more information.  I have a feeling having to  wait for a refund cannot be disputed.

Deck Chair

Thanks for the advice. 

16 hours ago, Trevor33 said:

It is all well and good Simon Palethorpe telling us about how well the remaining crew on board are doing but what about the monies owed and wont be repaid for 60 days or worse if you booked with a Travel agent. He must be well aware that  other Carnival cruise lines have already advised that they will not be returning to cruising any time soon and he makes matters worse by not mentioning it. These are very sad times, Cunard have never been slow in asking for a deposit or payment but don't think it has anything to do with patience having been waiting since February 24th for a promised reply. 

In mitigation, the company has had one or two more pressing matters to deal with meantime.

Some posters seem to assume that, although we are all confined at home, the companies that they deal with are somehow magical entities that keep on running regardless - rather than consisting of real people most of whom are also confined at home.  If you've tried contacting any sort of company recently - banks, broadband, food delivery, you name it - you will find that response times are immensely slow.  And some cannot yet perform many previously easy transactions - for example opening new accounts - at all.  Every company is struggling with how to cope without its workforce on site.  For the cruise industry, in the absolute epicentre of both the medical and financial hurricane, things are clearly much worse.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, IB2 said:

In mitigation, the company has had one or two more pressing matters to deal with meantime.

Some posters seem to assume that, although we are all confined at home, the companies that they deal with are somehow magical entities that keep on running regardless - rather than consisting of real people most of whom are also confined at home. 

Add into the mix the fact that across the travel industry finance departments are being asked to perform in bulk a function they're not usually resourced to do in any great volume at the best of times, and it's quite understandable that they're struggling to meet their normal customer service levels.

Edited by kentchris
  • Like 2

OK folks, some advice please. There is no point phoning Cunard customer service at present because they will be up to their necks in sorting out cruises that are likely to be cancelled in the next 2 months so my question is posed to those much more experienced in these things than I.

A) We are due to cruise on QM ex New York (flying out of Heathrow with American Airlines) early September, 14 days to Quebec and back to NY and then onwards back to Southampton - effectively two cruises back to back.  Deposit paid for both cruises of some £500+

B) Final payment is due June 13th.

C) Hmmmm...beginning to think that we may well be sinking(!) a large wad of money into a Cunard cruise that may well not happen (dependent on the flight being available as well).

D) We have already made a deposit on a QV cruise next February ex San Francisco to Brisbane.

So, my question is IF the September cruises are cancelled can I transfer monies paid to pay for a large part of the February cruise? What I don't want to do is pay final payment on September and then discover that I can't transfer to an already booked cruise (February) which would mean Cunard would be holding on to £000's of my money.

I can only speak with regards to bookings and refunds in the UK but having contacting Cunard UK with regards to refund of a cruise cancelled by them they informed me that the reason why refunds are taking such a long time that Cunard staff are also carrying out refunds for P&O due to low staff numbers.                As a result, we have minimal staff operating their day to day functions remotely from home, as well as refunding guests for our sister company, P&O Cruises.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1