What do you do with your tiles?

palolake

I loved the idea of using the tiles in a shower.  We are building a new home.  But then I started thinking about when we are gone, and a new owner comes along, the tiles would mean nothing to them and probably be pulled off and discarded. Our children may like to have them someday. They also love cruising.

I have several older tiles that belonged to both my parents and grandparents.  I think I will take both their set of tiles, and our set, and try the shadow box idea.  I could do one box with each set.  Thank you for the great idea, ellbelle!

BTW - No need to have Hobby Lobby or Michael's custom frame these for you.  All sizes of shadow boxes can be purchased very inexpensively at both places, especially using a discount coupon or waiting until they are half off.  I have framed unusual silver pieces myself using sticky Velcro to secure. Of course, the tiles weigh more and would require a heavy duty adhesive glue. 😉

We used to take the tiles and toss them in a basement storage  room drawer with all kinds of cruise and travel junk.  But in the last few years we simply do not accept the tiles or any other of the cruise junk such as medallions.  We have also stopped going to most of the Mariner functions since we generally found them boring.   When they have the Mariner Luncheons it means that its must less crowded in the Lido where the menu is much better then in the more formal luncheon.  And the idea of leaving a comfy deck chair on a sea day to get properly dressed for the luncheon is not our ideal way to spend a sea day.

In retrospect I do like the idea of adding cork bottoms to the tiles and using them as coasters.  If we had thought of that idea a few years ago we would now have a nice set of drink coasters.

Hank

We have our tiles lined up along the our bathroom counter top between the sinks.  I use them to put bottles on or things that get wet on the bottom. They can easily be wiped down and re arranged.  Makes an interesting counter top display and reminds me everyday of all the wonderful voyages we've had on HAL.  I still have a few of the canvas tote bags we used to get in our staterooms as well.  They make decent grocery bags since single use plastic bags have been outlawed where we live. Can't say much for the papery bag we got on the Oosterdam last September but hey, it's a bag.

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We used to take the tiles and toss them in a basement storage  room drawer with all kinds of cruise and travel junk.  But in the last few years we simply do not accept the tiles or any other of the cruise junk such as medallions.  We have also stopped going to most of the Mariner functions since we generally found them boring.   When they have the Mariner Luncheons it means that its must less crowded in the Lido where the menu is much better then in the more formal luncheon.  And the idea of leaving a comfy deck chair on a sea day to get properly dressed for the luncheon is not our ideal way to spend a sea day.

In retrospect I do like the idea of adding cork bottoms to the tiles and using them as coasters.  If we had thought of that idea a few years ago we would now have a nice set of drink coasters.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to post an update!

I copied ellbelle idea and put some of my HAL tiles in 3 shadow boxes.   I plan to line them up on a wall in my Guest bath when we build.  I purchased the 3 wood shadow boxes at Michaels for less than $9 each.  Loved the cream linen backdrop.  Blends with the tile borders pretty well!

BTW-Mine all have cork backings.

IMG_4186.jpg.290cec3289d9f77603dac6db29b1593b.jpgIMG_4187.jpg.4923ee37a31da852cc8302dd56b7b4d9.jpgIMG_4188.thumb.jpg.8c777587ca0ecd5803aec1cdb077ea36.jpg

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, Brewgirl1 said:

I really love them are they not giving them to everyone anymore?

They are set with table place settings as part of the Mariners' luncheon now, versus being laid out on the bed at turn-down.  Since we almost never go to the lunch, I will go down to the front desk and ask for a pair, which they will gladly dole out.     Scott.    

58 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

I copied ellbelle idea and put some of my HAL tiles in 3 shadow boxes.   I plan to line them up on a wall in my Guest bath when we build.  I purchased the 3 wood shadow boxes at Michaels for less than $9 each.  Loved the cream linen backdrop.  Blends with the tile borders pretty well!

BTW-Mine all have cork backings.

That's an awesome idea.  I love the look and may steal it one day 😄

6 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

They look wonderful!  I use have my tiles on my kitchen counter top in an area near the oven and have my spoon rests, salt, pepper and olive oil on top of them, using them like one big coaster.  I wipe them clean and wash them periodically but several have cracked, not from misuse so not sure why.  The tile area has grown over the years and it makes me happy to see the ones I have collected.  I also have a collectors plate issued for the Volendam Inaugural 1999 which I won somehow won on our Panama cruise back then.  The plate hangs in the kitchen near my tiles.  Happy memories.

• Like 1

I have layered the tiles onto a table that sits next to my recliner. I have all my HAL mementos on it including a picture of Mom and I getting our silver Medallions.  I am now working on layering them to a dresser in my bedroom. I got a lot of them!