Lack of information from Azamara

sunlover33

With only eight weeks until our cruise, departing from Singapore I wonder when we will have any update from head office re any changes, or cancellation to this cruise. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have informed they’re guests with regard to changes to March and April cruising in South Asia. However we have been given absolutely no information. We need to know soon if this cruise will be changed significantly or cancelled as this will affect many factors such as, booked time from work, vaccinations, visas and re booking flights if the cruise is to depart from elsewhere. I feels that Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are being very considerate to their guests with information and updates and making alternate arrangements and feel disappointed  that Azamara are not giving their guests the same courtesy.  I realise that this is an unknown and changeable situation that is evolving but if the parent company and Celebrity can make decisions, then why not Azamara?  We are in a limbo situation, unable to cancel but unsure if, where and when we will be cruising. 

• Like 2

8 weeks ago we were still looking forward to our cruise out of Singapore on Celebrity Millenium. Two days ago, 3 weeks before the cruise we were notified that the cruise has been cancelled and the ship is leaving the region all together. I understand that it was a difficult decision for the cruise line but I'm content that in that fluid situation Celebrity has decided to do so. Moreover Celebrity "Constellation" has been changed to embark and debark in Dubai as some countries in the VAE/Qatar were not happy about ships leaving out of Singapore - this was last-minute change but Celebrity was rather generous with paying for flight changes etc.

So I think you should be prepared for changes even at the last minute as I don't believe the situation in S.E. Asia will change fast. More and more ports are closed to cruise ships and most cruise lines have already left the area . Cunard for example has flown passengers about to embark in Singapore directly to Australia at the cruise line's cost - better safe than sorry! Perhaps The "Journey" if that's you one you'll be boarding will go straight to Dubai and leave out a few ports? Just speculation, of course.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that  Azamara can find a solution as early as possible to the crisis.

• Like 2

Are they waiting for a miracle cure?  It makes no sense why they have cancelled four weeks out, but not eight.  Right now, outbreaks are on the rise and not the decline.  Maybe they'll announce this week that they'll pull out of Asia altogether.  They're starting to feel the heat on this one.  Good luck.  

• Like 2

I'm not sure what can happen with Journey. In effect, her current location has her repositioning to Europe at some point and she HAS to go through Asia.  It's not looking great for getting through Singapore.

One thing I personally feel?  This "health crisis" has been totally blown out of all proportion and it makes no sense to me. The over the top and heavy handed actions taken by China do nothing to help. I don't trust China as far as I can throw them. 

Phil 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The question Phil, is does she go through Asia empty or will Azamara decide to re route and board us elsewhere? I realise it’s difficult for them to make decisions but its equally difficult not  knowing if this cruise will go ahead. I can’t see them cancelling altogether,  they wouldn’t want to sail an empty ship from Australia to Dubai, and as she needs to re position into Europe via the Middle East, they have to make this journey. But  I’m not sure where they will  find a suitable port to  embark seeing as most cruises are cancelling all stops in South Asia at the moment. 
As for a health crisis, although the numbers are pretty low in most countries except for China and influenza causes many more deaths worldwide,  the cruise companies are taking it pretty seriously and losing millions of pounds in the process. 

I’m on the Singapore -Dubai cruise as well.  I have every confidence that Azamara will make the decision as soon as they can, and in the worst case scenario, will make things right for their guests.  I just had to buy a second ticket to Singapore, as my original one connected through Hong Kong.  It’s all very frustrating, but I have faith Azamara will resolve this situation (which is not their fault), as best they can.  Still almost two months to go.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

One thing I personally feel?  This "health crisis" has been totally blown out of all proportion and it makes no sense to me. The over the top and heavy handed actions taken by China do nothing to help. I don't trust China as far as I can throw them. 

Phil 

Any "crisis" will be played up by the media and this is no exception.

A few figures for contemplation :

The population of China as at 1 January 2020 was 1,408,526,449

There have been 66,498 cases of coronavirus reported in China equal to 0.0047 of the population.

There have been 1,523 coronavirus related deaths reported in China equal to 0.000108% of the population.

*Addit : numbers in China have increased in the past half hour, but I'm not going back to re-calculate. Just anticipating a correction to my figures from a fellow CC member.

The rest of the world :

Population of the world minus China approximately 6,356,139,451 (fluctuates by several every minute).

Cases of coronavirus outside China 697, approximately 0.0000109% of the population of the rest of the world.

Deaths related to coronavirus outside China 4.

I am not complacent and will at this stage travel from Sydney to Dubai direct in 4 weeks time (I will be in the air at this hour).

We will be even more vigilant than usual as we travel through doubtless crowded airports at both ends and sit near unknown people in the lounge and on the aircraft.

If the current situation worsens outside of China and Azamara alter or change our planned cruise, I am confident we will be well looked after by the company.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Any "crisis" will be played up by the media and this is no exception.

A few figures for contemplation :

The population of China as at 1 January 2020 was 1,408,526,449

There have been 66,498 cases of coronavirus reported in China equal to 0.0047 of the population.

There have been 1,523 coronavirus related deaths reported in China equal to 0.000108% of the population.

*Addit : numbers in China have increased in the past half hour, but I'm not going back to re-calculate. Just anticipating a correction to my figures from a fellow CC member.

The rest of the world :

Population of the world minus China approximately 6,356,139,451 (fluctuates by several every minute).

Cases of coronavirus outside China 697, approximately 0.0000109% of the population of the rest of the world.

Deaths related to coronavirus outside China 4.

I am not complacent and will at this stage travel from Sydney to Dubai direct in 4 weeks time (I will be in the air at this hour).

We will be even more vigilant than usual as we travel through doubtless crowded airports at both ends and sit near unknown people in the lounge and on the aircraft.

If the current situation worsens outside of China and Azamara alter or change our planned cruise, I am confident we will be well looked after by the company.

Nobody will correct your numbers and those numbers are incredibly understated. Everyone is saying that now.  I wouldn't believe a thing Jinping says.  

6 hours ago, chromered7 said:

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have made their decision, Azamara who are part of the same group are prevaricating to the detriment of their passengers. 

I think you’re comparing apples to oranges. RCI and Celebrity have (had) ships in the region now, sailing back and forth between Singapore and Hong Kong - and even Shanghai. They had to make a decision. Azamara has one ship transiting from Australia to Europe, 8 weeks from now. Maybe they’ll cancel and sail to Europe empty. Maybe they’ll change the route and go via Western Australia to India or even South Africa. Or maybe they’ll go via Singapore after all. They’ll need time to figure this out and that’s understandable. And whether they cancel now or in 3 weeks’ time, you’ll get a full refund in either scenario. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, florisdekort said:

And whether they cancel now or in 3 weeks’ time, you’ll get a full refund in either scenario. 

That’s not my concern. I’m sure they will refund and we have good travel insurance anyway. However we are due to have vaccinations in three weeks time, I really don’t want to have them if it’s not necessary, we need to obtain visas for Sri Lanka and India, there is no point if we don’t go. I have booked a month from work, I cannot expect them to change my annual leave at the last moment to accommodate a cruise company. We can’t cancel as we wouldn’t get a refund. Need to make arrangements for my elderly mother, dog, house sitters etc etc. I know it’s a first world problem but frustrating nevertheless. I know it’s no ones fault but I think it’s the total lack of communication from Azamara, that’s annoying, when other companies are making decisions. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, florisdekort said:

I think you’re comparing apples to oranges. RCI and Celebrity have (had) ships in the region now, sailing back and forth between Singapore and Hong Kong - and even Shanghai. They had to make a decision. Azamara has one ship transiting from Australia to Europe, 8 weeks from now. Maybe they’ll cancel and sail to Europe empty. Maybe they’ll change the route and go via Western Australia to India or even South Africa. Or maybe they’ll go via Singapore after all. They’ll need time to figure this out and that’s understandable. And whether they cancel now or in 3 weeks’ time, you’ll get a full refund in either scenario. 

Unfortunately the apples and oranges in our case are expensive ones. We work hard  to have cruises, something that Cruise  Companies have lost sight of in their quest to charge more for a declining service. You may be in position where you can change holiday plans at a moments notice ,we cannot. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, florisdekort said:

. And whether they cancel now or in 3 weeks’ time, you’ll get a full refund in either scenario. 

Hello, 

Not sure about that because X is rerouting lots of cruises and if someone cancels, the usual penalty fees is in force. So we might have to take whatever they offer us even if we have to go through a lot of trouble (new flight, new departure port, new itinerary...) 

We are on the same cruise as sunlover33 and like said, we have to buy visas, excursions, pre night hotel, post night hotel, seats on the plane (we are on premium seats and wish to have the same comfort), etc. 

Since this is our 25th anniversary and the leg of the cruise we are doing is to finish our « around the world  cruising tour », we will be very disappointed if Az cancels our cruise or change it in something we don't want. But if so, better doing it now than later so we can find something else and not make irrational decision. 

At least, if AZ is going to reimburse our fees (visas, pre booked hotels, etc.) flights fees, we won't loose much but it doesn't seem the case for now.

So expecting the worst and hoping for the best

Have a great day

We are on the March 24 Sydney to Singapore Journey cruise and leave for Australia in two  weeks.  Someone on our cruise called AZ but they had no information yet, but it would be nice to know sooner than later ... am reluctant to book private shore excursions in some of the later ports because we just  don’t know when we will know where we are going!  I doubt Singapore will be allowing cruise ships if the situation worsens... but this wait and see situation will have everyone scrambling at the last minute.. we run what if and where to scenarios but I would really like Corporate to let us know sooner...I’m happy to stay in Australia and avoid the worsening situation in Singapore!  

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 6:56 PM, excitedofharpenden said:

I'm not sure what can happen with Journey. In effect, her current location has her repositioning to Europe at some point and she HAS to go through Asia.  It's not looking great for getting through Singapore.

Phil 

Erm..... that's fine, Phil, from the safety of Harpenden (not sure where this is, but it sounds sort of English)...spare a thought for those setting off this week...or sometime soon... without that safety blanket.... into the unknown really. Azamara will do her very best. (Sorry if you are American or Spanish or Chinese or something else.)

37 minutes ago, Lookyboy said:

Erm..... that's fine, Phil, from the safety of Harpenden (not sure where this is, but it sounds sort of English)...spare a thought for those setting off this week...or sometime soon... without that safety blanket.... into the unknown really. Azamara will do her very best. (Sorry if you are American or Spanish or Chinese or something else.)

We just need for AZ to get their act together and make decisions.

43 minutes ago, Lookyboy said:

Google it. There is only one place in the world called that. 

Phil 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chromered7 said:

We just need for AZ to get their act together and make decisions.

I have every faith in Azamara to do their very best. Not helpful at this time is anyone undermining the very real fear that is out there.......not helpful at all.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lookyboy said:

I have every faith in Azamara to do their very best. Not helpful at this time is anyone undermining the very real fear that is out there.......not helpful at all.

No one is “undermining “ as you put it. As for Azamara they are probably the last cruise line to make a definitive decision . It’s all well passing judgment because this does not affect you. 

3 minutes ago, chromered7 said:

No one is “undermining “ as you put it. As for Azamara they are probably the last cruise line to make a definitive decision . It’s all well passing judgment because this does not affect you. 

It's not you... don't worry.... and it's not just this post. Sorry - just a wee bit sensitive to another poster.... in the midst of such a worrying time. Sorry...

• Like 1