Considering the Amsterdam to Canada

ShaniBell

Good morning,

My husband and I are considering take the 7 day cruise out of Boston in June.  We'll be on that side of the country for other reasons and thought it would be a nice option since we'll be there.  We have never cruised Holland America before.  We've been on Carnival, Disney, Norwegian and I was on RC eons ago.  

I usually just book online myself directly through the cruiseline website but I am having the hardest time with their website.   Every time I try to choose a specific room the site blanks out.  I've tried to book through Costco and Expedia to see if the same issue persists and it does not.  Is this a common problem with the website or is it just me (I have tried different browsers, clearing cookies, all the standard trouble shooting efforts).

That aside, anything you would like to share about the line would be appreck iated. It'll just be me (49) and DH (47) for the week.  We're looking at a suite in order to get a balcony/veranda.  Probably won't do a drink package this time around as neither of us are big drinkers and this seems like a pretty laid back itinerary but may opt for wine.

40 minutes ago, ShaniBell said:

Good morning,

My husband and I are considering take the 7 day cruise out of Boston in June.  We'll be on that side of the country for other reasons and thought it would be a nice option since we'll be there.  We have never cruised Holland America before.  We've been on Carnival, Disney, Norwegian and I was on RC eons ago.  

I usually just book online myself directly through the cruiseline website but I am having the hardest time with their website.   Every time I try to choose a specific room the site blanks out.  I've tried to book through Costco and Expedia to see if the same issue persists and it does not.  Is this a common problem with the website or is it just me (I have tried different browsers, clearing cookies, all the standard trouble shooting efforts).

That aside, anything you would like to share about the line would be appreck iated. It'll just be me (49) and DH (47) for the week.  We're looking at a suite in order to get a balcony/veranda.  Probably won't do a drink package this time around as neither of us are big drinkers and this seems like a pretty laid back itinerary but may opt for wine.

I live  very nearBoston and my late dh and I sailed Boston to Montealb-to-b many  times and loved it. IMO it is one of HAL's bes short itineraries.  For a 7 day cruise, with a port very day but one, you get  to see so m

uch and learn about Atlantic Canada and New England.  some really  great ports. 

You have chosen a lovely itinerary. We have done it twice and would happily do it again. The ports are very interesting and the scenery is beautiful. Your start and end cities are both fun to explore on foot or by subway as well.

We also enjoy the smaller ship experience. The wide wrap around promenade deck and the less crowded more intimate feel are very appealing to us. 

You are not alone. The HAL website is a hot mess most days. I just call to book. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

I live  very nearBoston and my late dh and I sailed Boston to Montealb-to-b many  times and loved it. IMO it is one of HAL's bes short itineraries.  For a 7 day cruise, with a port very day but one, you get  to see so m

uch and learn about Atlantic Canada and New England.  some really  great ports. 

I'm originally from the Boston area, we'll be there visiting family for a week in June.  Our daughter will be staying for longer so we'll be taking advantage of the opportunity to travel sans kiddo.

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I consider myself web-savvy and I consider HAL not to be.  Often I look it up on the website then call the phone number once I have my selections prepared.   

HAL's website is awful.  I really lost my chance, I had some IT guys in the elevator w/ me in Rotterdam, and didn't grump at them once!

If you can afford it, I'd suggest the Neptune Suite.  Otherwise, if it's an old Amsterdam (not the Nieuw Amsterdam), the Vista is the cheapest way into a room w/ a balcony.  You'll get double loyalty credit in the Vista or Neptune Suite.  I also suggest getting the laundry package.  

We boarded the Veendam in Montreal once, and boarded by walking thorough a rather short gangplank (no switchbacks), took the elevator up to our deck, and found our cabin right outside the aft elevator.

We just booked the Amsterdam for June 13-27, Bos-Montrael-Bos. This is the 10th year in a row we have taken this very relaxing NE/Canada trip. We also wanted to experience the Amsterdam after its drydock in May. We will be going on a long cruise on it in the fall.

Thanks everyone!  We are looking forward to trying out another line.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds their website to be completely worthless.  My teen keeps telling me it must be me because apparently I'm just "old" and dont' know how to use the internet!  1.  49 is not OLD and 2.  my generation invented the internet.  But I digress.  

On 2/15/2020 at 5:16 PM, ATC said:

We just booked the Amsterdam for June 13-27, Bos-Montrael-Bos. This is the 10th year in a row we have taken this very relaxing NE/Canada trip. We also wanted to experience the Amsterdam after its drydock in May. We will be going on a long cruise on it in the fall.

That sounds lovely!  Wish I could do the return trip but we would have already spe nt a week in the Boston area before boarding and I'm not sure I could convince my boss to let me have a 3rd week of PTO.