Holland America laundry water temperature

sohoda

I will be sailing in next month on the Veendam.  We like to purchase the laundry package on Holland America as in the past they have done a wonderful job.  I usually write “cold water, delicate cycle” on the laundry slip.  I honestly do not know if they follow my request but have been very happy with laundry upon its return.

My question is: is laundry washed as requested or are all clothes washed in hot water?  Has anyone noticed a change in their laundry now that coronavirus has appeared?  Trying to determine if it is worth it to purchase the laundry package or if I am better off packing additional clothes/luggage.

Thank you in advance.

21 minutes ago, sohoda said:

I will be sailing in next month on the Veendam.  We like to purchase the laundry package on Holland America as in the past they have done a wonderful job.  I usually write “cold water, delicate cycle” on the laundry slip.  I honestly do not know if they follow my request but have been very happy with laundry upon its return.

My question is: is laundry washed as requested or are all clothes washed in hot water?  Has anyone noticed a change in their laundry now that coronavirus has appeared?  Trying to determine if it is worth it to purchase the laundry package or if I am better off packing additional clothes/luggage.

Thank you in advance.

I ask for cold water, gentle wash and low heat in the dryer for several of my clothes always on the cruise.

I’ve never had a problem.  Believe me, I would know if they had used hot water.  The clothes would have been ruined.

Discussing the laundry service with a crew member - yes, they do read the instructions 🙂 

• Like 1

I'm glad to hear these stories. It wasn't always this easy. Back when I was a 3 star Mariner I would sometimes buy send things out. They often came back in various states of ruin. Later when I was a 4 I had all kinds of problems on a long Rotterdam cruise. One load came back with a shirt destroyed but they threw in a single baby sock as compensation. I got my settlement from the front desk. Where they really got me was on the same cruise. I sent a pair of Dockers in for laundry. I didn't wear them until I got home - or then either. They had shrunk so much I couldn't get them up past my thighs. I checked the size to make sure they hadn't swapped them with someone else. So my other pair of Dockers of that size still fits.

I pretty much still just send out underwear, socks, and shorts. I will usually handwash the rest but now I feel a little better about letting them do a shirt. 

Glad to hear that the clothes come back nice.  We are on Holland for 21 days this coming December.  Usually on other cruise lines we have free laundry from our status and if not then we buy laundry service. I am just having a hard time getting my head around $140 for laundry for 3 weeks.  Thinking I will pack extra clothes instead.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tkwbear said:

I'm glad to hear these stories. It wasn't always this easy. Back when I was a 3 star Mariner I would sometimes buy send things out. They often came back in various states of ruin. Later when I was a 4 I had all kinds of problems on a long Rotterdam cruise. One load came back with a shirt destroyed but they threw in a single baby sock as compensation. I got my settlement from the front desk. Where they really got me was on the same cruise. I sent a pair of Dockers in for laundry. I didn't wear them until I got home - or then either. They had shrunk so much I couldn't get them up past my thighs. I checked the size to make sure they hadn't swapped them with someone else. So my other pair of Dockers of that size still fits.

I pretty much still just send out underwear, socks, and shorts. I will usually handwash the rest but now I feel a little better about letting them do a shirt. 

I just finally made 4 star and was thinking of using the laundry service next cruise but now I think I will follow your idea of just sending items that will withstand any water temp. (underwear, socks, etc).  Most of my outer clothes are all cold water wash-line dry so I will stick to my regular nightly routine for those.

10 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Glad to hear that the clothes come back nice.  We are on Holland for 21 days this coming December.  Usually on other cruise lines we have free laundry from our status and if not then we buy laundry service. I am just having a hard time getting my head around $140 for laundry for 3 weeks.  Thinking I will pack extra clothes instead.

ready2:

(1) Been there, thought that... but when you look at as less than one Pina Colada, for two people's clothing (per day) (or all in the cabin, should you have a third person), it's easier to stomach.

(2) The by-the-bag is a good deal. I think it's still $20 except for cruises with either 'end' in Europe, which is $30.

This is what I got in my bag. I marked it Warm Wash, Low Dry and everything was fine, although there were no major shrink risks.

bag o laundry.JPG