Confused about Singapore

katiebeth

My husband and I are booked on the Azamara Journey that departs Sydney on 3/24 and disembarks in Singapore on 4/11.      We received notice today that, at this point, Azamara has made the decision to not alter the itinerary and disembark on 4/11.     We have booked a 2 night post cruise stay.

I am perplexed, as to why major cruise lines are pulling out of Singapore, (due to the Coronovirus) including Celebrity and RCCL (Azamara's parent company) and Azamara has made the decision to continue with plans to disembark/embark there.

Naturally, it makes me concerned about Azamara's judgement.     Nancy

Edited by katiebeth

Other companies are in a different position - they are pulling their ships away from Asia altogether.  Azamara has 1 ship, the Journey, which has to get from Sydney to Dubai. If you look at the maps there is really no-where else the cruise can disembark - anywhere else is too far. If they went to India everyone would have to get a Visa and there’s very little time to do that.

1 hour ago, NeilWM said:

In case people aren’t aware Singapore airlines have started canceling a very large number of flights globally because of downturn in numbers wanting to fly.

I have heard the cut backs by Singapore Airlines to/from the USA don't start until April 26. Not sure about the rest of the world.

I'm hoping this virus will be in the rear mirror by then!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hkr1216 said:

Also, the ships that are leaving the region have been in Asia for weeks.  The Journey is just “passing through”  as it makes its way to Dubai, then Europe for the summer season.

That's correct. The Journey will only be in Singapore about 10-hours that day. During which time it will be thoroughly cleaned, and of course all boarding guests will be screened before boarding.

14 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

That's correct. The Journey will only be in Singapore about 10-hours that day. During which time it will be thoroughly cleaned, and of course all boarding guests will be screened before boarding.

How do you screen passengers when they can be carrying the virus for up to 14 days with no symptoms before becoming sick.  All the time, spreading the virus to others?    Taking people's temperature and asking how the feel does not insure an infected passenger doesn't board the ship. 

39 minutes ago, uktog said:

But that’s the same whenever you board a ship or a plane. We don’t live in a sterile world. We all could be carrying something we don’t know about. 

Or go to the doctors or opticians! Last Friday I was at the doctors & a child in the waiting room had a really bad cough. From there we went to the opticians which was very busy. On Sunday I started with a cough and cold & I reckon I got it at one of those.

3 hours ago, Redtravel said:

If Celebrity and a Royal are pulling out of Asia, the message is clear. Stay away from Asia. Just because a ship needs to relocate is not a good reason to risk becoming another DP.

And you suggest what?  Stay in Australia for the summer?  Maybe the ship should just continue on to India with the pax already on?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baynanno1 said:

I imagine there would be a large re-provisioning due in Singapore.

An interesting article on Singapore's response to coronavirus :

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/singapores-response-to-coronavirus-outbreak-praised-by-experts-and-observers

Excellent article. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1