How much did you gain on your Celebrity cruise?

yvrbos

20 hours ago, yvrbos said:

For those of you who partake in alcoholic beverages, how is the weight gain?

That will vary a LOT.  Someone who has one vodka soda by the pool and one glass of red wine at dinner won't see the same result as someone who has a mimosa for breakfast, couple of pina coladas by the pool, a lemondrop martini before dinner, and a shot of Baileys in their coffee after dinner.

19 hours ago, Cruizen Susan said:

Excellent!   I just need a little more flavor...some lime, some agave, a dash of orange juice, no sugar.

Agave (I'm guessing you mean agave syrup) and orange juice both have sugar.

Edited by waterbug123

Y

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

That will vary a LOT.  Someone who has one vodka soda by the pool and one glass of red wine at dinner won't see the same result as someone who has a mimosa for breakfast, couple of pina coladas by the pool, a lemondrop martini before dinner, and a shot of Baileys in their coffee after dinner.

Agave (I'm guessing you mean agave syrup) and orange juice both have sugar.

Yes they do.  But I'm not bringing the nutrition police on the cruise with me.  A "splash" of orange juice is not 4-8 ounces.  And a tiny bit of agave is nothing compared to those margarita mixes.   Here's a blurb from the internet.  

What is the difference between a skinny margarita and a regular margarita? A skinny margarita is a low-calorie version of a regular margarita. Instead of using an orange-liqueur like triple sec, Cointreau or Grand-Marnier, or very high sugar mixes, a skinny margarita uses fresh orange juice and a small amount of agave nectar.
Edited by Cruizen Susan
typo

Also,  a note from the nutrition police regarding agave nectar/syrup.  Agave nectar has a very low glycemic index — primarily because almost all of the sugar in it is fructose. It has very little glucose, at least when compared to regular sugar. ... Summary Agave nectar is low in glucose and therefore doesn't spike blood sugar levels much. This gives the sweetener a low glycemic index.   Orange juice is sweet due to sugar from nature,  very different than the white stuff.

Nutrition Factsal
Agave nectar
Amount Per 1 tsp (6.9 g)
Calories 21
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0 g 0%
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 0 mg 0%
Potassium 0 mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 5 g 1%
Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
Sugar 4.7 g  
Protein 0 g 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
Cobalamin 0% Magnesium 0%

We've sailed on Celebrity about 6 or 7 times in the past 5 years, and it's now easier to avoid gaining much weight, if any, since we're familiar with the food. We know what we really want to have, and what isn't as good as it looks, so we're much more selective.

But I think my best advice is to only take a literal 'taste' of dishes at the buffet. I like to try a lot of variety, but often only need a bite or two to be satisfied. Or I'll know what to go back to get more of, if it's really worth it. Hubby and I share a lot, too; especially with desserts. Again, a bite is usually enough.

Alcohol is a bigger problem, since with the drink package, we do indulge more than at home. And some coffee drinks can be a lot of calories, as well as juices and sodas that I may be more inclined to get since they're 'free'.  We're now getting more selective with beverages, too.

On the last couple of longer cruises (more than a week), we found that we 'hit a wall' at about day 9 or 10, where we're sick of most of the food and not as apt to overindulge.

My biggest problem is that i'm a grazer and when is see a snack I pick it up and stick in my mouth even if not hungry. 

While many consider me slender I have to really work on keeping my weight under control.   I weigh daily and my weight can vary 1-3 pounds depending on time of day and amount of water retention.   Good thing is Fitbit averages it and graphs. 

On cruises especially if we are going to be aboard for 30 days or more I usually cut each meal in half and only eat half.   I hate throwing away food but they won't give me a half portion.   Usually they try to double the portions - to please.  

When I started this topic, I didn’t realize that it would become this popular a post. I want to thank everyone for their help in trying to minimise the amount of weight that I gain. I don’t plan on overdoing it, but now I have a better idea of how to approach all of that delicious food especially those desserts!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, yvrbos said:

When I started this topic, I didn’t realize that it would become this popular a post. I want to thank everyone for their help in trying to minimise the amount of weight that I gain. I don’t plan on overdoing it, but now I have a better idea of how to approach all of that delicious food especially those desserts!

I think many of us have been on a cruise/weight journey...We have in the pre vacation weeks been ‘good’ and lost a few pounds and then been shocked to see during a 10 day cruise we had regained what we had lost and a bit more too...

We certainly have found that the joint philosophies of ‘nothing is not allowed’ and ‘I don’t have to clean my plate’ make a big difference. Thankyou for instigating a very interesting thread. Hope you have a fantastic (tasty but not too fattening) cruise!

I'm not one who weighs themselves regularly...... weight is only a number

if my clothes start to feel tighter, then I know I've put on weight.... hehehe

before our 2018 cruise wife & I did more exercise because we were worried about putting on weight after watching videos of the buffet and food on Solstice on youtube.... but as I mentioned earlier we did a lot of walking on the cruise and around the ship that my weight stayed the same

We are on Solstice in 1 April and really looking forward to the great variety of food on offer  :classic_biggrin: 

We tried to eat in Luminae for every meal as we were in a suite. I always asked for a huge plate of steamed vegetables to go with our meal.  I didn’t have desert every night and only ate at the buffet if we had to (If Luminae was closed) and then there were plenty of options to eat healthy such as fruit, vegetables and lean protein (I didn’t drink any alcohol even though we had had the premium drinks package). The staff in Luminae would always take it as an insult if I didn’t want any bread that they would bring around (looked amazing).

I took some protein bars from home to have as snacks but I think the buffet restaurant may have had fruit all day.

Ran around the jogging track on the mornings when we had no very early excursions, as  the sun was coming up (and usually coming into a new port - amazing in Kotor) and then went to the gym for some strength training - the gym was always busy on at sea days.

I was normally asleep on the bus after a full day excursion (as were most people) and then asleep in the theatre in the evening, the excursions wore us out but was during the summer months in the Mediterranean.

Only used the stairs on our 2 cruises on Millennium Class cruises but we have no mobility issues.

Wow, that sounds so boring when I write it all down😆

20 hours ago, Cruizen Susan said:

Yes they do.  But I'm not bringing the nutrition police on the cruise with me.  A "splash" of orange juice is not 4-8 ounces.  And a tiny bit of agave is nothing compared to those margarita mixes. 

Relax, I'm not the nutrition police,and am not telling you not to have your drink the way you like; it IS better than a margarita with commerically-made mix.  I was simply responding to your "no sugar" comment by stating, factually, that both agave and OJ do have sugar.  This wasn't necessarily for you, but to clarify for anyone else reading.  You'd be surprised at how many people think that unless you are talking about granulated table sugar, it doesn't count because it's "natural."   And yes, of course a splash is different from 4-8 oz. but you'd be surprised how many people will justify drinking multiple screwdrivers over an afternoon by the pool because "the OJ is all natural," as if that somehow negates the quantity of sugar in it.

19 hours ago, Cruizen Susan said:

Also,  a note from the nutrition police regarding agave nectar/syrup.  Agave nectar has a very low glycemic index

Yes it does.  Again though, just clarifying the "no sugar" comment.   Side note:  glycemic load is generally considered to be a better guideline to go by than glycemic index (agave is low in both.)

1 hour ago, HappySailer88 said:

I am a foodie. Love trying new food and beverages. I average 8lbs. Try to loss some weight before I go and after. Always thought that's what cruising was all about?? lol

Dennis 

I totally agree! And 8 pounds seems reasonable to me!