How much did you gain on your Celebrity cruise?

yvrbos

Just now, Orator said:

Ever notice that the "top spending cruiser" tends to be on the thinner side? They learn to pace themselves. I notice that some inexperienced  cruisers tend to fill their plates for the first few days? I guess they feel that since food is included in the price they get a better price per day if they consume more.

Price per day never factors into what I eat and drink on a cruise.  For me, it's about the abundance and variety that I don't get at home...either because my people don't like it so it's never in my house, or I don't know how to make it.  For example, I absolutely love the cold oatmeal cereal soaked in milk that they have out for breakfast.  Never will you find that in my house.  I'd be hazed right out of the kitchen!  I also love the meat salads ie, chicken, salmon, tuna...again, you won't see that in my house...nobody eats anything with mayo.  So for me, it's like being in a candy store...only it's cruise food and I live it up while I can!

• Like 1

We eat and drink what we want but only in small portions.  We only eat 2 meals at home so stick with that on a cruise although we tend to graze more when on board.  Also use the stairs as much as I am able and walk, even if it in in the hall ways. Last cruise I lost a few pounds, probably due to the increased walking which I don't do at home in the winter.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

Wife and I will gain 5 to 8 lbs or more and we don’t overeat or have deserts and etc.  We do t drink those fancy coffee drinks, have the ice cream, pizza and etc.  We even stopped having the juices and pass on the sweet rolls at breakfast.  

We always use the stairs but in reality that doesn’t burn many calories.

We walk a lot but 10,000 steps a day started as a promotion in Japan to sell pedometers.  There is no medical evidence that 10,000 steps is the magic number.  The only thing is if you are walking for exercise you aren’t eating or drinking anything other than water.  

Any activity is better than sitting around but  for most of us one hour of intense exercise will be wiped out by a drink or two depending on the drink.   Beer does it for me.  Bloats me up and makes me gain weight.  Alcohol also slows down your metabolism.  

weight gain depends on a lot of factors.  A heavy person may not gain as much as they can eat more to support their body weight. 

dancing is just as good as walking or any other activity and sometimes burns more calories depending on the movements.

secret is to be eat like being at home don’t eat like every meal as if is your last.  There will be more tomorrow.  Calories over calories burned means a gain in weight 

A burger, fries and beer at the Mast grill is over 1/2  the daily calorie limit for a person with a BMI within the recommended range. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅🤪

I usually end up about the same. Any increase in consumption is offset by a significant increase in activity. I walk SO much more on a cruise than I do in real life. I love booking a sunset verandah not only because of the view, but because it's 250 steps (yes, I counted) just to get to the  elevator bank. That alone multiple times a day adds up! 😁 Plus, often on a sea day, I'll just wander the ship's public decks - no matter how many times I've been on each, there's always something new to notice. And then port days are always on the go. 

My issue is when I get home. I don't eat sweets in general, but do indulge most every night on a cruise. So when I get home, that sugar craving is in full force. If I can get myself quickly back to "real life" eating when I get home, all is good! If not, it's a rough one. 

I don't eat bread or potatoes and watch alcohol consumption. Therefore I have come to the conclusion that something happens in the room closets that causes the clothes to shrink! Ironically when returning home, when placing them in my closet after about 2 weeks they return to their original size. I have complained several times to the hotel director with no solution.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We don't gain. Eating unhealthy foods or over eating results in a reduction in energy and possibly indigestion. We want to feel vibrant at every moment while on any vacation so we are careful about food choices. We are not losing out on anything,.. The food is prepped for us and the dishes taken away.. Such a treat in itself!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GateGuardian said:

I gain 5lbs after every cruise, but lose it within 2-3 weeks.

Same here. Gained 5 lbs and lost once home. Have big breakfast aqua spa cafe for lunch then swim. Mid afternoon go for cake at cafe el bacio. Another swim then off to sky lounge for happy hour. Couple martinis and canapes. (That's where I gained 5 pounds). Several courses for dinner with wine. Skipped dessert most nights unless I had creme brulee but always left some on my plate. 

14 hours ago, Orator said:

Ever notice that the "top spending cruiser" tends to be on the thinner side? They learn to pace themselves. I notice that some inexperienced  cruisers tend to fill their plates for the first few days? I guess they feel that since food is included in the price they get a better price per day if they consume more.

For sure.  

I can remember our first few cruises, we also HAD to do every activity that was scheduled.  Now, we may go to 1 or 2 during the cruise.  We do though still like to sample items, thus we do get more than we actually eat a few times each cruise. DW likes to sample the deserts.

One thing that I notice when cruising is that my feet may swell up due to the salt that cruise lines insist in using while cooking.  I never add salt to my food and prefer not to have it used in cooking.  I realize that some salt will be used in the cooking and that can't likely be avoided.  Usually, after a few days of leaving the ship, my feet are back to normal.

Pre cruise I lose weight on purpose so I'm in credit when I board. Then it's "fill your boots" time with food and particularly booze.

Last cruise I got down to 150 lbs pre cruise and just added another 8 lbs. Got back to my normal 154 lbs after a week of no booze!

There was 11 of us all with the Premium drinks package and we caned it!

• Like 3

Thank you to everyone for your tips on how to keep those pounds off. I plan to take the stairs, walk the decks, eat a light breakfast and lunch, indulge in dinner and in dessert (I so have a sweet tooth), lay off the carbs.

Thanks everyone for sharing how much you gain. This has been insightful and allows me to plan accordingly. I have recently lost 15 pounds and I would rather not gain it all back. I now have a plan.

1 hour ago, yvrbos said:

Thank you to everyone for your tips on how to keep those pounds off. I plan to take the stairs, walk the decks, eat a light breakfast and lunch, indulge in dinner and in dessert (I so have a sweet tooth), lay off the carbs.

Thanks everyone for sharing how much you gain. This has been insightful and allows me to plan accordingly. I have recently lost 15 pounds and I would rather not gain it all back. I now have a plan.

Eat a big breakfast and light lunch. Aqua spa is good for that. If you have drinks package have water before and between meals. Swimming walking and stairs are very helpful to keep weight off. If I do indulge one day I'll work off the extra weight. Do you like dancing or exercise classes by the pool?  Tremendous help and lots of fun.  Enjoy each day like its your last. My new motto.

And then you have the occasional well meaning staff that delivers unordered desserts.   "You've on vacation sir!"   Okay, it only happened once  🙂

Our usual routine keeps the weight off.  Avoid red meat, no snacking after dinner, etc.

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

Eat a big breakfast and light lunch. Aqua spa is good for that. If you have drinks package have water before and between meals. Swimming walking and stairs are very helpful to keep weight off. If I do indulge one day I'll work off the extra weight. Do you like dancing or exercise classes by the pool?  Tremendous help and lots of fun.  Enjoy each day like its your last. My new motto.

Can anyone eat at the spa cafe, even if not doing a spa service?

I usually gain about 3/4lb a day, but about half of it is sodium retention and I lose that part within a day of getting home. The rest is real weight gain.

I'm OK with that. I don't cruise often, so why yes I would like another drink or a second dessert. It's a time to indulge.