How much did you gain on your Celebrity cruise?

yvrbos

Don’t really weigh myself but we both lost at least 10 pounds prior to the cruise (my clothes were getting baggy!) so whatever we gained didn’t seem that bad. We ate and drank pretty much whatever we wanted,  without gorging, did not workout on the cruise but were very active snorkeling, swimming, etc. on port intensive cruise. Just got right back to regimen after cruise and feel good. I would recommend losing a few pounds prior if worried about gaining. There was no way I was going to diet or watch too much on the cruise. The food is great plus we had the premium drink package. Our cruise was a week long, so a longer cruise we would need to be more careful.

28 minutes ago, mafig said:

That Danish cart at breakfast and Al Baccio are my downfall.  

I'm not fond of their danishes however the german chocolate and carrot cake from Al Bacio are to die for. Sadly not available on every ship and for the record not the same as what they serve in the ocean view buffet. 

I could easily gain 5 lb or more [emoji33] a week but have worked with pre-diabetes long enough to know that I'd better carry 5 lb of my favorite delicious very low carb foods per week with me on my next cruise to prevent that... my current wardrobe for the new bod has zero room for extra me, so I know I have to behave. Not much restaurant or buffet food really appeals to me anyway, and thus has it ever been. All that salt, for one thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/20/2020 at 12:07 AM, miched said:

Wife and I will gain 5 to 8 lbs or more and we don’t overeat or have deserts and etc.  We do t drink those fancy coffee drinks, have the ice cream, pizza and etc.  We even stopped having the juices and pass on the sweet rolls at breakfast.  

We always use the stairs but in reality that doesn’t burn many calories.

We walk a lot but 10,000 steps a day started as a promotion in Japan to sell pedometers.  There is no medical evidence that 10,000 steps is the magic number.  The only thing is if you are walking for exercise you aren’t eating or drinking anything other than water.  

Any activity is better than sitting around but  for most of us one hour of intense exercise will be wiped out by a drink or two depending on the drink.   Beer does it for me.  Bloats me up and makes me gain weight.  Alcohol also slows down your metabolism 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅🤪

Same here. Try to be careful, limit carbs, eat Salads, use gym, walk as much as possible. But still put weight on each cruise. I think it's the alcohol, though we never get the package, but have a few drinks in happy hour or a glass of wine with dinner. Next cruise I'm going to try G&Ts instead of wine, as wine seems to pile on the pounds for me 🍷😁

Edited by sgmn

I usually try to loose 5 pounds before a cruise and then just have a great time.   I'm an avid walker and walk 10 - 12 miles a day - even while at sea so it helps.   If I do put on weight I normally drop back to may base rate within a week of getting home. 

Kate Moss: 'Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels'

I'd rather drink my calories than eat them.... that being said the Edge OV cafe offered specialty cheeses not found on other X ships...

I gained 5 pounds... drinking Bloody Caesars and eating the cheese...

Cheese please.jpg

On 2/20/2020 at 10:47 AM, yvrbos said:

Thank you to everyone for your tips on how to keep those pounds off. I plan to take the stairs, walk the decks, eat a light breakfast and lunch, indulge in dinner and in dessert (I so have a sweet tooth), lay off the carbs.

Thanks everyone for sharing how much you gain. This has been insightful and allows me to plan accordingly. I have recently lost 15 pounds and I would rather not gain it all back. I now have a plan.

When tempted to overindulge, just remember the food will be there tomorrow and the next day, etc. 

Not true!😱On one cruise  after having multiple Danish pastries at breakfast I went by Al Bachio and saw coconut cake.  I LOVE coconut cake.  I thought I must remember to get that tomorrow.  Guess what?  They only made it once during the cruise.   

1 hour ago, mafig said:

Not true!😱On one cruise  after having multiple Danish pastries at breakfast I went by Al Bachio and saw coconut cake.  I LOVE coconut cake.  I thought I must remember to get that tomorrow.  Guess what?  They only made it once during the cruise.   

What can I say?  You weren't meant to have it!!

On 2/19/2020 at 7:07 PM, miched said:

We always use the stairs but in reality that doesn’t burn many calories.

Any activity is better than sitting around but  for most of us one hour of intense exercise will be wiped out by a drink or two depending on the drink.  

secret is to be eat like being at home don’t eat like every meal as if is your last.  There will be more tomorrow.  Calories over calories burned means a gain in weight 

Couldn't agree more!   Be very careful with things like "oh I walked a mile around the track so I can indulge today."   Walking a mile burns about 100 calories.  Even if you double that, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the 3500 calories you have to burn to lose 1 pound.  Even an intensive hour-long gym workout that burns 600-800 calories is, as miched said, quickly countered by 1 or 2 sugary/frozen cocktails.

One of the biggest challenges I had early on was breakfast on a cruise ship.  We'd go to the buffet and I'd end up with a plate FULL of food.  Even if it's good choices (eggs, fruit, yogurt) I realized quickly that it was usually WAY more than I eat for breakfast at home.  At home I'll have maybe a single scrambled egg and some fruit.  Likewise at dinner.  At home I never eat bread with dinner, never eat dessert, never eat an entire steak by myself, etc. and I regulate portions etc.  So on a ship I try to do the same.  I will indulge occasionally in things I don't typically eat at home, but I try not to do it every day and to really, really focus on limiting the portion when I do. 

On 2/19/2020 at 7:40 PM, ChiGal1962 said:

My issue is when I get home. I don't eat sweets in general, but do indulge most every night on a cruise. So when I get home, that sugar craving is in full force.

Yep, sugar is very addictive.  And it hides in so many things, especially processed food.  Even things that are supposed to taste savory often have a lot of sugar in them.

On 2/19/2020 at 3:45 PM, yvrbos said:

I know that cruising is a time to indulge and let go. That said, I am curious how much people gained during their cruise when they didn’t watch their calories and indulged in the amazing food found onboard!

Last time I cruised I gained about 5 pounds without watching what I ate.

about three pounds- mostly because of cocktails.  I do watch what I eat somewhat!

3 pounds almost every single cruise.   Protein breakfast consisting of omelet and bacon.   Salad and protein of some kind for lunch.   A gluten free macaroon or 2 at Al Bacio daily with a Chai latte,  and for dinner?  Anything goes.   Usually nothing in between meals, except margueritas and/or wine.

Edited by Cruizen Susan

1 hour ago, yvrbos said:

For those of you who partake in alcoholic beverages, how is the weight gain?

Depends on the type of drink and how many. A lot of people drink mixed drinks. A lot of sugar and calories in those mixers. 

Edited by davekathy

7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Depends on the type of drink and how many. A lot of people drink mixed drinks. A lot of sugar and calories in those mixers. 

This is true.   Tequila is not only zero carbs, but it's actually good for you...go figure.   I drink Skinny Margueritas.   In moderation.  😋

34 minutes ago, Cruizen Susan said:

This is true.   Tequila is not only zero carbs, but it's actually good for you...go figure.   I drink Skinny Margueritas.   In moderation.  😋

What's in a Skinny Margarita? I like the odd pina colada but mostly drink margaritas, Aperol switzers and red wine with dinner. The calories add up fast so looking for alternatives.

6 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

What's in a Skinny Margarita? I like the odd pina colada but mostly drink margaritas, Aperol switzers and red wine with dinner. The calories add up fast so looking for alternatives.

I posted the version I like above.  There are other recipes for them online!  Enjoy!

Alcohol has 7 calories per gram. FYI fat has 9 calories per gram. The amount of actual alcohol in one standard hard drink supplies about 120 calories. Add in the sugar and fat in the mixers it is not hard to see how a mud-slide can deliver about 500 calories. 

I put on 4 pounds last cruise. No booze for a month when I got home and back to normal ( for me) eating. 1 pound to go to get back down to pre-cruise weight. 

2 hours ago, yvrbos said:

For those of you who partake in alcoholic beverages, how is the weight gain?

I usually lose anywhere from 3 to 5 lbs after our trips (we tend to go for about 3 to 4 weeks at a time, & average about 30,000 steps on port days :) )

I watch what I eat, but not what I drink on vacation :)  

On port days, I'll  try & do the full set of stairs up & down at least 10 times

DH usually gains about 2 or 3 lbs, but it goes pretty quickly once we're back home.

I am a gym rat and continue my workouts on board. But I eat a lot more and a lot of bread and butter, which i NEVER have at home. I also love the ice cream. And eggs for breakfast are a treat. I only have fruit at home. So I tend to gain about 6 lbs on an 11 or 12 night cruise. No worries,, It is usually gone by 2-3- weeks back on my usual regimin.