New travel recommendations from CDC

Gray Eagle02

1 hour ago, wristband said:

Italy now Level 4 this afternoon:

"In a press conference Saturday, Vice President Mike Pence announced that the US has raised the travel warning to level 4 — its most severe warning — regarding travel to affected areas of Italy and South Korea. "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2020/02/29/coronavirus-trump-adds-travel-restrictions-italy-south-korea/4914822002/

CDC site still has Italy at Level 3:  https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/coronavirus-italy   

CDC statement:    "CDC recommends that travelers avoid all nonessential travel to Italy."

CDC only goes up to Level 3.  Yes, it's confusing the two entities have different scales, but I think they're trying to convey the same message on Italy.

My own global employer, which I recently retired from and which spends heavily on both domestic and international travel for all its member entities, has put the kibosh on 'nonessential business travel' - I've been told that a request for approval is personally reviewed at a very high executive leadership level, for both the sake of our employees and clients.  Fortunately, much of our industry's work can now be conducted electronically and via teleconference.

I think anyone will agree that vacation travel is extremely rarely considered 'essential'.  Again, I do think the tourist industry should be leading in providing generous refund/rescheduling opportunities to current and future travelers.  Financial considerations should not be a driver at this point, especially in some areas of the industry whose clients are so heavily in the high risk group - over 55, possibly with underlying conditions.  

• Like 3

We plan to be in Italy for a full week prior to boarding in late April.  I will not rely on Regent for guidance on taking the cruise or staying put.  Its not an economic issue - no trip insurance on our end -  more a common sense health concern.

I have been on cruises with TravelCat and Caroldoll with severe outbreaks on board.  Not pleasant - gastro viruses spread quickly from passengers who refuse to follow hygienic practices or who board with the virus.  I have seen up close & personal the "problems" & ended up infected several times.  Obviously, noro is a different cat than corona. 

My point: viruses spread rapidly in confined settings like a plane or ship - despite hand washing frequently, Purell use and carefully cleaning table tops etc.  Flying to Rome, wandering around the city, in and out of hotels, restaurants, buses and the subway, museums and public sites is not something I can dismiss with "you gotta live your life." 

BTW Greykitty, I also have several close colleagues who travel overseas frequently.  They and their companies have put the kibosh on all foreign travel - esp to Europe - until May at the earliest.  Using Skype to conduct business. 

A close friend and her wife were scheduled for a Tuscan holiday in May.  Not anymore.  Again, sure we'll all no doubt be exposed going into Target, but they also felt they'd rather be close to home until we know far more about this particular virus.  My friend is 80 in basically excellent health; her wife is 65 but in remission from cancer.  Nicely enough, their tour organizer was very cognizant of the travel advisories and had no issues with their cancellation.  And they did get their business class air fare back as well, which may just be an alignment of lucky stars.  My friend was thrilled the carrier was so understanding, but the carrier made customers for life and is getting great word of mouth today.

I will admit I wasn't surprised by my old employer's ban on international travel fairly early on, as we do a fair amount of work in China, but they also banned US domestic travel as of last week, which did strike me as being 'really serious' - and we have major airlines as clients, so we know how badly an event like this will hit the financials.

27 minutes ago, greykitty said:

My own global employer, which I recently retired from and which spends heavily on both domestic and international travel for all its member entities, has put the kibosh on 'nonessential business travel' - I've been told that a request for approval is personally reviewed at a very high executive leadership level, for both the sake of our employees and clients.  Fortunately, much of our industry's work can now be conducted electronically and via teleconference.

I think anyone will agree that vacation travel is extremely rarely considered 'essential'.  Again, I do think the tourist industry should be leading in providing generous refund/rescheduling opportunities to current and future travelers.  Financial considerations should not be a driver at this point, especially in some areas of the industry whose clients are so heavily in the high risk group - over 55, possibly with underlying conditions.  

There are many cruisers that feel that their vacation travel is "essential".  In terms of the sentences "bolded above", you may as well tell the tourist industry to go out of business.  Kindly describe what you consider a "generous refund".  Isn't what Regent is doing generous enough?  

I admire what your former employer is doing but wondering if you think that all "global employer''s" are doing the same (not just those based in the U.S. but based all over the world)?

wristband - I think that what you are doing is the right thing for you (and would be the right thing for us as well).  We are thinking of doing a land vacation in England this year and will proceed if airline fares drop a bit.  Each of us have different risk tolerances.  Unfortunately, short of stopping all travel in the world, the coronavirus will play out - many will get sick - some will die and then it will pretty much subside (until next year?  We don't know that either).  While coronavirus is not the flu, even when a "coronavirus shot" is available, it will likely follow the same path as the flu shot - only 50% of people take them.  The rest risk getting sick - dying, etc. 

While I doubt if many (any?) will respond, how may posters have had the flu shot for this year?  For elderly posters, how many of you have had the pneumonia vaccines (series of 2 shots)?   The answer to those questions might give you an idea of how seriously you take these risks.  Remember, that in addition to coronavirus, those passengers that have not had the flu shot are likely infecting people that could end up dying from the flu (assuming that the other person also did not get the shot .... something that is IMHO too likely).

1 hour ago, wristband said:

Italy now Level 4 this afternoon:

As per US Government advice:
Level 4 (Do not travel) only applies to the Lombardy &  Veneto regions. The rest of Italy is Level 3 (Reconsider travel)

UK Government advice regarding travel to Italy focuses on avoiding all but essential travel to 10 small towns in Lombardy and one in Veneto

FWIW, I'm 66, finally was able to locate and get my Shingrex shots this year, always get an annual flu shot, and did get my handy dandy pneumonia shot last year.  

ETA - how many people are counting on a Covid-19 vaccine to be covered by US insurance the way the flu shot is?  What if it's expensive, like Shingrex?  Aargh!

Honestly, Regent and other travel consortiums should be allowing refund/reschedule without penalty, and allow future cruises to be taken within a minimum of two years, rather than the one year that people in general have been reporting. Reading way too many posts on the 'luxury line' forums about people who seem really (and fairly) concerned about their sunk costs and also unable to schedule an alternative cruise within current policies.

And, agree to disagree - vacation travel is incredibly rarely 'necessary or essential' travel. I can't even think of one example where it would be. Even a trip to Disney World is really not 'essential' in a person's life LOL! And I really want to do the Star Wars experience soon!

BTW, Disney closed down the Toyko parks, and is having workers who traveled to Italy self quarantine.  I would not be surprised to see the other parks taking similar action soon.  And Disney's target audiences aren't even the high risk group in most cases.  I'm impressed by their actions.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

While I doubt if many (any?) will respond, how may posters have had the flu shot for this year?  For elderly posters, how many of you have had the pneumonia vaccines (series of 2 shots)?   The answer to those questions might give you an idea of how seriously you take these risks.  Remember, that in addition to coronavirus, those passengers that have not had the flu shot are likely infecting people that could end up dying from the flu (assuming that the other person also did not get the shot .... something that is IMHO too likely).

We are both well into our 70's, and have each had  the two shingles shots, the two pneumonia shots and a flu shot (every year).  We are serious about trying to stay healthy.  The problem:  We have a cruise coming up on Regent in May.  Should we go or should we bail and take the hit?  Doubt Regent is going to make any full refund offers to those within final pay who are sailing in places other than the CDC mentions.  Insurance doesn't cover everything.  What to do?  Good question.

We, too, are booked and fully paid to sail on Regent into Rome the end of April.  We are up there in years.   We would certainly like to see Regent offer us the opportunity to switch our sailing.  We were eagerly looking forward to this cruise with great ports and a lovely cabin but have grave doubts about it given the current situation.

I hold out very little hope that Regent will take the high road and be willing to accept the financial loss. I was trying to not dwell on it but it is getting a little difficult.

Edited by Eager2Travel
Change wording
  • Like 1

Interesting discussion regarding alcohol. I thought there was a difference between alcohol that is used externally and that consumed internally. I must be missing something. Or perhaps someone else missed it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

There are many cruisers that feel that their vacation travel is "essential".  In terms of the sentences "bolded above", you may as well tell the tourist industry to go out of business.  Kindly describe what you consider a "generous refund".  Isn't what Regent is doing generous enough?  

I admire what your former employer is doing but wondering if you think that all "global employer''s" are doing the same (not just those based in the U.S. but based all over the world)?

wristband - I think that what you are doing is the right thing for you (and would be the right thing for us as well).  We are thinking of doing a land vacation in England this year and will proceed if airline fares drop a bit.  Each of us have different risk tolerances.  Unfortunately, short of stopping all travel in the world, the coronavirus will play out - many will get sick - some will die and then it will pretty much subside (until next year?  We don't know that either).  While coronavirus is not the flu, even when a "coronavirus shot" is available, it will likely follow the same path as the flu shot - only 50% of people take them.  The rest risk getting sick - dying, etc. 

Jackie

you nailed it!

sheila

1 hour ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Jackie

you nailed it!

sheila

Thanks Sheila.  I will be taking a break from this subject for reasons that I will explain on the thread that I started.  Appreciate your support and will see you soon.

Jackie

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Yes, I’ve had the flu shot and pneumonia shots.  I’m 66. 

11 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Ken and I have flu shots every year.  Last October was no exception.   I take Bronco Vaxom which helps immunize the bronchial tubes against infection.  The normal dose is for 3 consecutive months, my doctor has told me to take it for 6.  Which I do.  We have not had pneumonia vaccine and in fact I had not heard of this before.  Maybe it isn't available here?  I don't know!   I hope this helps your statistics-keeping Jackie!!

Gerry

Both of us have our flu jabs every year. We have also had the pneumonia vaccine.

When travelling overseas we seek advice on any additional vaccinations/boosters/medication/certification required and follow that advice.

We check the travel advice given by the FCO (UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office); not least because it may affect our Travel Insurance e.g. if we chose to visit an area where FCO advice was against all travel then our Travel Insurance would be invalidated.

In our opinion a holiday does not constitute "essential travel".

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) also advises that a holiday is unlikely to be considered as essential travel by travel insurers.

Having said all that we are not panicking about the covid-19 virus in itself and will continue to take normal hygiene precautions.

We are, however, worried about how it may affect daily life,  travel plans and the economy until the epidemic plateaus and eventually diminishes  .................... and the media & social media finds something else on which to concentrate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Ken and I have flu shots every year.  Last October was no exception.   I take Bronco Vaxom which helps immunize the bronchial tubes against infection.  The normal dose is for 3 consecutive months, my doctor has told me to take it for 6.  Which I do.  We have not had pneumonia vaccine and in fact I had not heard of this before.  Maybe it isn't available here?  I don't know!   I hope this helps your statistics-keeping Jackie!!

Gerry

Gerry - your last sentence made me laugh.  I'm not keeping score but simply wanted people that have not had the flu shot to look at themselves and ask if they are contributing to the problem (not coronavirus - just speaking of the thousands of deaths from the flu).

Of all of the things that I've read, what I just read from a nurse made the most sense.  Different variations of coronavirus has been around for years.  And, the media is creating much of the crisis.

If the media spent a few months tracking all cases of influenza, the number of deaths, etc., it would also cause some people to panic.  

Note:  Someone on one of the coronavirus threads did not understand what I meant by "panicking".  I do not mean taking extra precautions (the same that should be taken during the winter when we travel or when we around people that may be infected with colds or flu).  To me, panicking includes buying way too much hand sanitizer, alcohol, food, etc. that is leaving other people without. It also includes people that seem to want to share worst case scenarios. And, to whomever posted that drinking alcohol is not the same as other alcohol obviously did not get the joke made by a poster to lighten things up.  Of course they are not the same.

In terms of affecting daily life...... as long as we are receiving negative news 24/7, it will continue to affect daily life.  Restaurants and other businesses could shut their doors because people are afraid to go out to eat (I'm borderline on restaurants - still thinking about the safety).  While I am not panicking, I am likely overly aware of people coughing and sneezing in stores.  It is easier to simply order items to be delivered to our home.  So, companies like Amazon will do fine (especially since they may be the the #1 company that is gouging people ...... and I like Amazon and do not typically criticize them).  

Gerry - I'm wondering why I bothered to look at this thread (hoping for news that affects us in the U.S. - especially since Splendor has been and will continue to be into and out of the U.S. through March).  Unfortunately, the U.S. continues to take "weird steps" for what they think will control the spread of the virus.  Yesterday, the fact that a couple of people in Mexico now have the virus caused a debate as to whether or not we should close our borders to Mexico.  Interestingly, no one suggested that we close the border with Canada (and they have one of the largest Chinese populations outside of China ....... however, numbers of cases in Vancouver is low).

On a happy note - we are now under two weeks!

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Note:  Someone on one of the coronavirus threads did not understand what I meant by "panicking".  I do not mean taking extra precautions (the same that should be taken during the winter when we travel or when we around people that may be infected with colds or flu).  To me, panicking includes buying way too much hand sanitizer, alcohol, food, etc. that is leaving other people without. It also includes people that seem to want to share worst case scenarios.

I am “the someone” that is being referred to here. You and I have both stocked up on hand sanitizers: you for your optional cruise and me as the required primary caregiver for my high risk mother in law and the secondary caregiver for my pregnant daughter. Even if you were in a position to state what the correct amount of hand sanitizer each person should purchase is, your post did not reference amounts only your personal overall theory. You think that panic is causing a lot of trouble and then you put preparation buying in the category of panic. You felt that was more dangerous than traveling because when you get home from your optional traveling, you might not be able to buy more. As is often the case here on these boards, we do not agree. Here is your exact excerpt:

What works for one person obviously does not work for another.  The onlything that I personally find disturbing is the panic.  It is causing a lot of problems in many countries (buying out needed supplies, food, etc.). in my opinion, this is more dangerous than traveling as once you get home, there may not be any preventative items left to purchase.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kjbacon said:

I am “the someone” that is being referred to here. You and I have both stocked up on hand sanitizers: you for your optional cruise and me as the required primary caregiver for my high risk mother in law and the secondary caregiver for my pregnant daughter. Even if you were in a position to state what the correct amount of hand sanitizer each person should purchase is, your post did not reference amounts only your personal overall theory. You think that panic is causing a lot of trouble and then you put preparation buying in the category of panic. You felt that was more dangerous than traveling because when you get home from your optional traveling, you might not be able to buy more. As is often the case here on these boards, we do not agree. Here is your exact excerpt:

What works for one person obviously does not work for another.  The onlything that I personally find disturbing is the panic.  It is causing a lot of problems in many countries (buying out needed supplies, food, etc.). in my opinion, this is more dangerous than traveling as once you get home, there may not be any preventative items left to purchase.

I honestly have no idea which poster has posted what as there are so many posts.  For the record, I did not "stock up" on hand sanitizers . I could have purchased 20 but didn't do it for the reasons that you stated.  I have never even thought about the "correct amount of hand sanitizer each person should purchase".  My statement has to do with people randomly stocking up and leaving shelves bare.  Someone else posted about a run on spaghetti.  I do believe that purchasing way more food or preventive supplies than you could use in two weeks or a month, is panic buying.  And, if you can think of a positive thing that can come from panic buying, please share it with us.  

Regent customers skew older and therefore it is likely that many of us have medical issues and are therefore more likely to catch COVID-19.  I lost a friend (and Regent cruiser) to COPD last week .... she was only in her 60's.  So, your assumption that I purchase masks, hand sanitizers, etc. for a non-essential cruise is completely incorrect.  For medical reasons, we always have these items on hand.  We had plenty of gloves and masks but were running low on wipes so I purchased ONE container of wipes (in addition to the two containers of gel hand sanitizer).  We always pack one container of gel sanitizer, gloves and masks (along with wipes - a different type than we typically purchase) before a cruise.  This is our normal behavior.  

I feel badly for all of us that are "targets" of this virus - whether it be for medical or age related reasons.  However, I would never over-purchase items that I know will be needed by others.  I stand by my statement that panicking is not helping anyone and want to add that over-purchasing food or other items is hurting people.  

P.S.  Just read your firsts paragraph.  I specifically said that preparing for the virus is NOT panicking but preparing and over-purchasing are two different items.  And, as a helpful tip, when you want to "quote" a post, simply click on the "quote" beneath what the person has posted and it will appear  in the next response window with room to respond at the bottom.  This makes it easier to read and this is what I did when I responded to your post!

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1

I don't understand the repetitive posts about people panicking nor what the posts have to do with this Regent board.  As for buying recommended supplies, the bottom line is that in the face of uncertain circumstances in a potential epidemic if everyone purchases what is recommended then, yes, there may well be shortages.  But purchasing recommended supplies is not the same as panicking. 

As an example, last year in California there were warnings about electricity blackouts that might last several days.  People went out and purchased generators, and guess, what?  Many stores ran out of generators.  So is reasonable to say that people panicked and bought too many generators?  I don't think so. 

And yes, I'm sure some people will purchase more of something than they really need.  But without concrete examples of this among Regent travelers, I don't understand the relevance of the issue to Regent or this board.

There is tremendous uncertainty about lots of issues related to travel right now.  The virus is clearly spreading worldwide. Health officials continue to warn about the spread of the virus to new areas.  More quarantines and ship schedule changes are possible in parts of the world.  Many large meetings are being cancelled in cities.  So if someone decides that under the circumstances it would be less anxiety-provoking to stay home, that is not an example of someone panicking.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Gerry - I'm wondering why I bothered to look at this thread (hoping for news that affects us in the U.S. - especially since Splendor has been and will continue to be into and out of the U.S. through March).  Unfortunately, the U.S. continues to take "weird steps" for what they think will control the spread of the virus.  Yesterday, the fact that a couple of people in Mexico now have the virus caused a debate as to whether or not we should close our borders to Mexico.  Interestingly, no one suggested that we close the border with Canada (and they have one of the largest Chinese populations outside of China ....... however, numbers of cases in Vancouver is low).

Jackie, for your edification, this is just one of many reports:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/11-chinese-migrants-found-hiding-inside-furniture-moving/story?id=67620551

Marc

20 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thanks Sheila.  I will be taking a break from this subject for reasons that I will explain on the thread that I started.  Appreciate your support and will see you soon.

Jackie

So many of your posts are confusing. You continue to say that you will stop posting but you continue post whenever someone disagrees with you. You coach me on how to quote a post after my post was quoting yours. Perhaps your confusion stems from the fact that I ended that post with a copied section of yours from your post on another thread (so your exact words are hardly misrepresented by me).

I am truly sorry that you lost your friend to COPD. That’s just awful, especially at such a young age. It is worth a mention though that does not negate your earlier words that you are taking and planning to use plenty of hand sanitizer on your cruise (along with your pillow case). Another poster pointed out that you don’t need to explain and that’s absolutely right but it’s also true that you should not be accusatory toward others. You believe that your purchases are fine but that others are panic purchasing.

Respecting one another means that both sides are to be respected. Your confidence is to be admired but others on this board have just as much confidence in their opinions as you do yours. You would serve yourself and others well to accept that, whether or not you are always right, not everyone thinks you are always right ... and so what? You really shouldn’t care what I think anymore than I care what you think. I think you are taking an optional cruise and you think I’m panic buying when I’m caring for two high risk family members. Ok. Done. Feel free to follow through with your many posts to stop posting.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

And, to whomever posted that drinking alcohol is not the same as other alcohol obviously did not get the joke made by a poster to lighten things up.  Of course they are not the same.

I surely understood the satire. I believe it was you who posted a long response about alcohol and other wipes in response to the satire. Guess you missed my humor.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

So many of your posts are confusing. You continue to say that you will stop posting but you continue post whenever someone disagrees with you. You coach me on how to quote a post after my post was quoting yours. Perhaps your confusion stems from the fact that I ended that post with a copied section of yours from your post on another thread (so your exact words are hardly misrepresented by me).

I am truly sorry that you lost your friend to COPD. That’s just awful, especially at such a young age. It is worth a mention though that does not negate your earlier words that you are taking and planning to use plenty of hand sanitizer on your cruise (along with your pillow case). Another poster pointed out that you don’t need to explain and that’s absolutely right but it’s also true that you should not be accusatory toward others. You believe that your purchases are fine but that others are panic purchasing.

Respecting one another means that both sides are to be respected. Your confidence is to be admired but others on this board have just as much confidence in their opinions as you do yours. You would serve yourself and others well to accept that, whether or not you are always right, not everyone thinks you are always right ... and so what? You really shouldn’t care what I think anymore than I care what you think. I think you are taking an optional cruise and you think I’m panic buying when I’m caring for two high risk family members. Ok. Done. Feel free to follow through with your many posts to stop posting.

#1 - Although there is no reason to have to explain myself, my intent was to avoid the coronavirus thread that I started (not this one as it supposedly will have new information).  However, sometimes I get alerts on my computer and click on the alert and end up on that thread.  It has nothing whatsoever to do what people are posting.

2.  I have never accused you of panic buying.  I made a general statement that it is becoming difficult to get certain items in the store and that panic buying is making it worse.

3.  It is in everyone's best interest to try to stay calm the situation down (including those posters that have made great jokes about drowning ourselves in alcohol.  There is nothing wrong with suggesting that people calm down, take one day at a time, etc.  

I am not "full of confidence" but I am not going to run out and buy everything in sight.  This only deprives others that may need the food/supplies more than I do.  

4.  Agree that we should not care about what each other thinks.  Staying in that realm, what is the reason that you keep twisting my words and/or accusing me of saying things that I have not said, etc.  The best way to show this is to ask you to point out where you think that I told you that you (you specifically) were panic buying.  

Sheila - thank you for your kind words.  It is the same posters that have always questioned me.  I can take it.  I just want to insure that I'm not attacking anyone as my goal is always for posters to be supportive of each other.  Just because some people do not  agree does not mean that they need to be unkind.  A great example of this is Gerry and I that have disagreed more than we agree for many years.  Yet, we are anxious to meet each other onboard Splendor - I enjoy and respect her..  Actually, you and I do not see eye to eye about the Navigator but we respect each other's right to like (or dislike) what we want to.   We may debate pluses and minuses of the Navigator but we do so in a respectful way.

Dennis keeps watching the news (while I try to avoid it ...... just wanting to see updates once a day).  Because my hearing is too good, I just heard that the virus has spread so that it is now coast to coast.  Washington state, as you know, had the first case of coronavirus and the first death from the virus (yesterday).  Southern Washington state is now able to do 200 tests per day in their laboratory (Southern Washington is near Seattle which is close to 100 miles from where we live).  

In keeping with the title of the thread, I am learning things from our local Neighborhood posting site.  Things that we may not think of that needs disinfecting.:

Car keys

Outside of handbags If they are put on the floor of your car

Pens that we are given to sign for things (credit cards, etc.) - use your own pens

Credit cards/Debit cards - if they are handled to others and given back to you

While we cannot easily disinfect our shoes, when we are outside, we are stepping in all types of things such as spit from people that could be infected.  We do not wear shoes in our home for that reason.

I also received a kind response both on my Neighborhood board and CC about why health care workers needs the masks.  Below is the one that is not from CC:

The healthcare professionals are trained on how to properly use the masks. But they prevent the doctor from spreading the virus from one patient to another. This is especially true in clinic type settings. The reason the CDC, NIH and WHO are upset about the masks is because of the shortage. The shortage of the masks is putting healthcare professionals and high risk patients at risk. This virus isnt some big boogie man. The reason it is so contagious is because we currently do not have an immunity against it. Reports from those that have recovered from the virus say that it was like having a bad cold and those are only the ones we know of. Most people will likely have minor cold symptoms and brush it off as it being just a cold. That's is why the best thing people can do is observe proper cold and flu protocol.
2 hr ago

13 minutes ago, CBWIR said:

I surely understood the satire. I believe it was you who posted a long response about alcohol and other wipes in response to the satire. Guess you missed my humor.

Nope - was not me.  My long post was about the disinfectant wipes that we use and the viruses that it kills.  I "got" the joke immediately and appreciated the lighthearted humor!

Edited by Travelcat2