Are you now on a cruise or plan on booking cruises with port calls in Italy and/or Spain?

Justalone

Are you booked or booking a cruise for 2020/2021 that makes port calls in Italy and/or Spain?  Other Mediterranean countries like Greece or Croatia?

Is Italy and Spain allowing cruise passengers off the ship when in port?  Like Venice, and Barcelona.  I thought I read that they are not due to outbreak of the Corona virus.

I thought of booking a Mediterranean cruise for 2020 or 2021, but am hesitant due to spreading like wildfire worldwide of the Corona virus.

Edited by Justalone
Corona virus in Europe

We leave this weekend for a cruise to Spain. I am nervous about possibly not being able to port but am also excited to be going on vacation. I love cruising and I love travel in general. I am taking my children with me so I am concerned about their safety but I am not canceling our travels because we want to go still. I have bought and am taking every precaution that I can to protect against illness and such. We are booked for another cruise that is porting out of Italy in November. We shall see what happens closer to that time before we make any rash decisions about cancelling that one.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mommysoncruiser said:

We leave this weekend for a cruise to Spain. I am nervous about possibly not being able to port but am also excited to be going on vacation. I love cruising and I love travel in general. I am taking my children with me so I am concerned about their safety but I am not canceling our travels because we want to go still. I have bought and am taking every precaution that I can to protect against illness and such. We are booked for another cruise that is porting out of Italy in November. We shall see what happens closer to that time before we make any rash decisions about cancelling that one.

Did you take out CFAR trip insurance?   Just in case of a ship quarantine like the Damond Princess in Japan?
Are you making a port call in Barcelona?  I thought I read there are a few cases of Corona virus infection there. 
Enjoy your cruise!  Please let us know how it worked out for you and your family.  And hopefully it will be fun and flavorful cruise! 😀

Edited by Justalone
  • Like 1

The link below is to RCI's current coronavirus sailing policy as example - I would guess most cruise lines are following guidelines that are similar or the same.  No mention of any current restrictions in the ports you identify.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The bottom line is, if planes stop serving airports near cruise ports like Barcelona in Spain and Genoa in Italy, due to this virus, then for the European Cruise industry, its game over, for this summer at least.

Watch what the airline industry does, or are forced to do by European Governments,  they will be the best barometer for this, if they start pulling planes then, the cruise lines will have no choice but to follow suit.

I am doing 3 weeks on Costa from Abu Dhabi to Savona in a couple of weeks, and just hoping its still on.

• Like 2

We have a Spain itinerary booked for Sept this year.  It is combo land trip and cruise from Lisbon to Barcelona.  Final pmt date is in June.  We will watch the situation closely and make a go/no-go decision in June regarding the cruise.  Of course, cancelling the land trip could also happen depending on the situation.  

Whatever decision we do make will be the correct one for us.  We do not have CFAR coverage.  If the trip is cancelled by us it will probably mean wasted fares.  Not an appealing thing but we will be OK with that if that is our decision.   

• Like 1

I have a cruise from Venice to Rome booked in July. Hoping things will look better by then, but kind of doubt it. Cruiselines should refund in full. I emailed my travel insurance to ask if the rest of my trip is covered.

Is it too late to add on CFAR once I have a regular policy?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hllb said:

That would be a question for your insurance provider as different ones may have differing rules.  But typically CFAR has to be issued within 15 days (may vary) of the initial cruise booking, and I believe would have to be defined with the initial policy issued.

But again - this is a question that can only be answered with certainty by your insurance provider.

4 hours ago, Justalone said:

Are you booked or booking a cruise for 2020/2021 that makes port calls in Italy and/or Spain?  Other Mediterranean countries like Greece or Croatia?

Yes I was.  I had a cruise booked in March that was centred around Spain and Portugal.   I will not be going on it now.

Cruise lines need to change their protocols or get CDC/WHO or whoever to let them change their protocols in relation to COVID-19.   Until they do anyone who cruises risks being stuck on a "death ship" scenario like the Diamond Princess.

That prospect is totally unacceptable to me personally.   The ball is in the cruise line's court.   Something HAS to change.

I also have a cruise to Spain/Italy later in the year and another to the Canaries.  I will be cancelling them both.

30 minutes ago, Hllb said:

I have a cruise from Venice to Rome booked in July. Hoping things will look better by then, but kind of doubt it. Cruiselines should refund in full. I emailed my travel insurance to ask if the rest of my trip is covered.

If you haven't already, there is a lot of good information and discussion on the Travel Insurance forum regarding this new situation.  Simply having CFAR insurance is not a cure-all, and has many exclusions, restrictions, exceptions, etc.  Just a suggestions.  Good luck.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

1 hour ago, MauiWowie57 said:

Or at least it has to be issued before the final payment is due - wouldn't hurt to call.

General insurance coverage with most providers can be issued up to final payment.  But typically, previous illness coverage and CFAR coverage is issued within the 15 - 21 day window of the booking.

Again, confirmation will come from the insurance provider in question.

This is from the Italian Cruise Line, Costa

Important information for the protection of our guests’ and crew’s health.

Dear guest, following the heightening of global alert level declared by the World Health Organization, Costa Cruises has further strengthened precautionary measures for its whole fleet, in order to guarantee maximum safety for guests and crew.

If you have traveled to, from or through continental China, Hong Kong or Macao (including transiting through an airport in these locations) during the 14 days preceding your embarkation, or if you are having any sickness symptoms or fever higher than 37,8° C (100,4° F),  we will not be able to let on board our ships.

As of February 22, in consideration of the present outbreak of the virus in a number of different Italian cities, Costa Crociere has also decided to deny embarkation to all those customers which will be originating their journey from one of said cities,(and specifically Casalpusterlengo (LO), Codogno (LO), Castiglione D'Adda (LO), Fombio (LO), Maleo (LO), Somaglia (LO), Bertonico (LO), Terranova dei Passerini (LO), Castelgerundo (LO), San Fiorano (LO) in Lumbardy, and Vo' Euganeo (PD) in the Veneto region).

Costa Crociere is therefore contacting passengers who are resident in these cities directly or through travel agencies to communicate such dispositions and inform them about the full refund procedures.

Moreover, all the excursions available to our guests will not include visits to venues in Piemonte, Lombardia and Veneto Regions (in North Italy) that have declared the alert status.

Should you need further information, please contact your travel agent or call 1-800-462-6782

I have 2 cruises booked starting on April 6----TA crossing that sails from Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona.....stops

around Malaga, 2 nights in Sevilla, Gibraltar…once we disembark in Barcelona I have a flight to Lisbon

for a river cruise on The Douro.

• Like 1