Cruise ships refused permission to visit ports outside Asia

52 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Just heard on ABC News Air NZ is closing its staff/crew base in London tomorrow.  

Huge cutbacks and massive layoffs are being put in place . The NZ Govt owns 51% and there  is a whisper that if it folds the Govt will have  to take it over .

16 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Not necessarily, it has happened before.

I was too young to remember the polio scare , but several children at primary school had parents or were themselves victims . At that time there were massive shutdowns and schools remained closed for months .

1 minute ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Huge cutbacks and massive layoffs are being put in place . The NZ Govt owns 51% and there  is a whisper that if it folds the Govt will have  to take it over .

NZ and Australia, being islands, wouldn't be able to operate without airlines.  That is why we both used to have National Carriers.  I think airlines, trains, ferries etc. should be a public service. 

Qantas is putting off a lot of staff as well.  

2 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I was too young to remember the polio scare , but several children at primary school had parents or were themselves victims . At that time there were massive shutdowns and schools remained closed for months .

I remember hearing a lot about it because there was a nurse and an Australian connection.  From memory, in the treatment, so children weren't crippled. .  I need to refresh my memory. 

32 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

NZ and Australia, being islands, wouldn't be able to operate without airlines.  That is why we both used to have National Carriers.  I think airlines, trains, ferries etc. should be a public service. 

Qantas is putting off a lot of staff as well.  

Agreed.

But then any competition thinks it unfair to compete with a company owned by government and setting it's regulations as well. The same people also think that government run programs and services should run at a profit like a business.

32 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I remember hearing a lot about it because there was a nurse and an Australian connection.  From memory, in the treatment, so children weren't crippled. .  I need to refresh my memory. 

Nurse Kenny,  I think

40 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

35 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:
1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Just heard on ABC News Air NZ is closing its staff/crew base in London tomorrow.  

Qantas announced they are cancelling all international flights. Virgin already announced it was cancelling all international flights.  

A young woman on TV News talked about her difficulty in getting flights home, with airports closing, etc.  She paid $2,700 for a flight from Dubai ? to Adelaide.  

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Agreed.

But then any competition thinks it unfair to compete with a company owned by government and setting it's regulations as well. The same people also think that government run programs and services should run at a profit like a business.

I totally disagree.  I was a Queensland public servant.  Our primary focus was to advise Ministers (elected representatives) on suggestions for best practice for the public benefit.  Towards the end of my career, the public service became politicised, with vested interests pushing government for their best interest, not the public's best interest.  Of course, the public suffered.  Just ask tradies about the standard of apprentices now, against those trained by TAFE.  Some things government do better than the private.  Not everything such as our priceless ABC, our public broadcaster, should have to make a profit.  I was starting to feel stressed with the political messages about the virus, until the ABC decided to broadcast Coronavirus Updates by a doctor.  He is on ABC now but I don't know his name, but he provides facts, in a calm informative manner, which is what the public needs at this moment. 

Tasmania Premier has just announced a State of Emergency.  Closing their borders.  Only essential workers can travel to Tasmania.  Travellers will have to self isolate for 14 days. 

30 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

30,000 Qantas Staff to be temporarily stood down.

Qantas and Jetstar Cutting 100% of international flights late March. 

Live on ABC News 

Hard to keep up with all the changes and cancellations.

Edited by MMDown Under

37 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I totally disagree.  I was a Queensland public servant.  Our primary focus was to advise Ministers (elected representatives) on suggestions for best practice for the public benefit.  Towards the end of my career, the public service became politicised, with vested interests pushing government for their best interest, not the public's best interest.  Of course, the public suffered.  Just ask tradies about the standard of apprentices now, against those trained by TAFE.  Some things government do better than the private.  Not everything such as our priceless ABC, our public broadcaster, should have to make a profit.  I was starting to feel stressed with the political messages about the virus, until the ABC decided to broadcast Coronavirus Updates by a doctor.  He is on ABC now but I don't know his name, but he provides facts, in a calm informative manner, which is what the public needs at this moment. 

I am with you on that, public services are just that and should not be made to run at a profit, that is why we pay taxes , to pay for these services

21 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Tasmania Premier has just announced a State of Emergency.  Closing their borders.  Only essential workers can travel to Tasmania.  Travellers will have to self isolate for 14 days. 

30,000 Qantas Staff to be temporarily stood down.

Qantas and Jetstar Cutting 100% of international flights late March. 

Live on ABC News 

Hard to keep up with all the changes and cancellations.

so the Spirit of Tasmania has now stopped as well?

6 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

so the Spirit of Tasmania has now stopped as well?

I came in as the Premier was announcing the State of Emergency.  However, i think he said the Spirit of Tasmania will still run for freight, etc.  Plus essential workers and returning Tasmanians will still want to travel to Tasmania on the Spirit of Tasmania.

My neighbours were to visit next month, so their trip will be just one of many cancellations for accommodation, etc.

Edited by MMDown Under

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

That would be Dr Norman Swan. He presents 'The Health Report' on ABC radio as a regular programme as well.

Dr John Campbell is a UK medico who has been presenting very informative daily updates on the world-wide situation with covid-19 and is very well worth watching. His updates are presented on youtube. Here's a link to his latest report.

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

That would be Dr Norman Swan. He presents 'The Health Report' on ABC radio as a regular programme as well.

Dr John Campbell is a UK medico who has been presenting very informative daily updates on the world-wide situation with covid-19 and is very well worth watching. His updates are presented on youtube. Here's a link to his latest report.

Thank you for Dr Swan's name and link to Dr Campbell's video., which I look forward to watching later. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Agreed.

That's the argument they put, but for example CBA and its private competitors ran quite fine when CBA was a public bank.

The only reason it changed was a philosophical policy decision.

17 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

That's the argument they put, but for example CBA and its private competitors ran quite fine when CBA was a public bank.

When a building society crashed in Queensland, it was the Government which rescued the building societies from a run on building societies.  The Queensland Government set up the SGIO Building Society from scratch!  Later became the Suncorp Bank.  The Banks continue to be successful today because the Government provides government guarantees covering investors deposits, up to a certain amount.  ?$250,000 from memory.

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

Exactly, and Telstra, water and Power companies, the list goes on.

Hawaii 

Maasdam and Norwegian Jewel are only allowed to refuel and restock supplies. 

Hawaiian Department of Transportation

All cruise ship operations are on a temporary pause from 14/3.

Hawaiian Airlines made further cuts to flights to adjust to lower demand.

City closes all city parks, golf courses and the Honolulu Zoo.

Hawaii News Now