check your airfare......now

Hawaiidan

Air fares are falling BIG time.      I checked my September departure to europe from LAx   and was shocked to see Business class.....ya  BUSINESS !,  going for 2300   not $3600....     Fare drips of $500-1200 are common.......  I am using UAL  Check your carrier    Delta has exempted change fees... others will follow

• Thanks 1

This is very hit and miss. I checked airfare from PPT to MCI for a Windstar Tahiti cruise next January, the air fare is still the same. This is UAL. My flights to Europe for my June baltic cruise were booked with award miles and there are no award seats available now.

I agree with susiesan.  I have a reservation Chicago to Europe in May 2020 which I paid  last year.  I checked the price today and it's actually a little higher than the fare that I paid.  I'm flying on Lufthansa, which is a partner airline of United.  You may be able to get some very good deals now but you definitely cannot count on it being across-the-board for every flight. 

4 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Fewer flights? - supply and demand?

Not sure it's supply and demand.  I'm thinking they're doubling prices to make up for loss of revenue now.  Maybe?  I've been tracking flights to New Zealand and Sydney for awhile.  In  January, Feb, March 2020 the flights were half of what they are currently costing for 2021.

20 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

Not sure it's supply and demand.  I'm thinking they're doubling prices to make up for loss of revenue now.  Maybe?  I've been tracking flights to New Zealand and Sydney for awhile.  In  January, Feb, March 2020 the flights were half of what they are currently costing for 2021.

That's unusual as that was high season for Australia.

As of next month, Southwest will no longer fly this route non-stop, leaving Delta as the only option. Maybe that's a factor.

United flies non-stop to Newark, but the flight times didn't work for this trip.

Yes did something similar RT PBI to VIE, Premium Economy with a Business Upgrade using Plus Points and Business Return, 1800 round trip. 

I do not think there is price falling.  There is just less demand for P fares on United which are heavily discounted.   The good point is NO CHANGE FEES for tickets bought this month.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, susiesan said:

This is very hit and miss. I checked airfare from PPT to MCI for a Windstar Tahiti cruise next January, the air fare is still the same. This is UAL. My flights to Europe for my June baltic cruise were booked with award miles and there are no award seats available now.

Tahiti  is a market to itself....a captive market with little to no competition....  same with everything there is obscenely priced and not incentive to change...........thats why  the only way to visit Tahiti is on a cruise way cheaper and way better experience.

On 3/6/2020 at 7:47 AM, PaulMCO said:

Yes did something similar RT PBI to VIE, Premium Economy with a Business Upgrade using Plus Points and Business Return, 1800 round trip. 

I do not think there is price falling.  There is just less demand for P fares on United which are heavily discounted.   The good point is NO CHANGE FEES for tickets bought this month.

Looking at LAX-AMS-BCN-LAX  in September   was $3650    now $3100  Business   for 2 that is over $1000 change ! This was with AA/BA   ( worst Bus seats in the sky)

On 3/7/2020 at 10:32 AM, Hawaiidan said:

Looking at LAX-AMS-BCN-LAX  in September   was $3650    now $3100  Business   for 2 that is over $1000 change ! This was with AA/BA   ( worst Bus seats in the sky)

Dan;

FlyerTalker will properly smack you around on this post! Airlines irregularly run inventory adjustment opportunities. I’ve seen all of the airlines dramatically drop prices on a route for time periods ranging from a few hours to a couple days, then poof, back up again. Last year, for example, I caught business class seats to BNA-PPT for $4800. Regular, most every day price of that ticket: $6200 each! That inventory adjustment opportunity lasted about 4 hours. I’ve caught $1K price swings on AA that last maybe a day. 4K regular ticket priced at $2800! . ita-matrix is your friend!

IMO, AA provides excellent Business Class service on their 787-9 , 77W, and 777 flights. Where they SUCK, and I avoid, is their A330 service in the old sucky USAir routes out of Philadelphia and Charlotte. Those I avoid! All things attached to Agony ( Allegheny) Airlines and America West turned US Air is still Agony!

Edited by pinotlover

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

All things attached to Agony ( Allegheny) Airlines and America West turned US Air is still Agony!

...and all this in turn made AA into what it is today - a second or even third rate airline.

It’s a shame too as I am lifetime Plat but I no longer fly with them, if I can help it.

On 3/6/2020 at 11:41 AM, Hawaiidan said:

Tahiti  is a market to itself....a captive market with little to no competition....  same with everything there is obscenely priced and not incentive to change...........thats why  the only way to visit Tahiti is on a cruise way cheaper and way better experience.

I am visiting on a cruise. I still have to fly to Tahiti to take the cruise.

Passengers should always remember that dropping fares is not the airline’s only option to half filled planes. Cancellation of flights and consolidation of passengers on to fewer flights is likewise an option for the airlines. An option they have exercised in the past.

16 hours ago, susiesan said:

There is an  alternative..... French Bee. Prices are unbelievable, particularly Premium Economy. Only problem is they have a limited schedule. There are some worries about what happens if the flight is cancelled or delayed, do you have to wait until the following week or do the have agreements with other airlines?  

Edited by azdrydock

16 hours ago, susiesan said:

You are on a cruise....I was referring to travel around  not to  the area.  Hiotels meals terrible prices, marginal rooms, poor food and abysmal customer service... is the norm.   Being on a ship it the only way

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

You are on a cruise....I was referring to travel around  not to  the area.  Hiotels meals terrible prices, marginal rooms, poor food and abysmal customer service... is the norm.   Being on a ship it the only way

Funny! We stayed on Moorea for 4 days pre cruise and Tahiti 3 days post, and were in wonderful hotels and had really great food. A wide assortment of daily caught fish seasoned beautifully with fresh herbs and fruits from the area are far superior for us to Dan’s frozen rubber lobster tails ,from the Terrace, he always raves about. Our friends stayed on Bora Bora for 3 days and discovered the same there. Likewise, don’t forget that French is the first word in F.P. While I love the breads and pastries on Oceania, I found them equally good at our hotels and in the markets.

While I would agree that prices were high, in Tahiti, they were no higher than most major US cities. Just returned from four days in Charleston eating fabulous low country meals in several of their acclaimed restaurants during the Food and Wine Festival. Eating out in Tahiti was no more expensive than Charleston. Great fresh locally caught seafood prepared with regional herbs and spices always beat out frozen in our book! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Funny! We stayed on Moorea for 4 days pre cruise and Tahiti 3 days post, and were in wonderful hotels and had really great food. A wide assortment of daily caught fish seasoned beautifully with fresh herbs and fruits from the area are far superior for us to Dan’s frozen rubber lobster tails ,from the Terrace, he always raves about. Our friends stayed on Bora Bora for 3 days and discovered the same there. Likewise, don’t forget that French is the first word in F.P. While I love the breads and pastries on Oceania, I found them equally good at our hotels and in the markets.

While I would agree that prices were high, in Tahiti, they were no higher than most major US cities. Just returned from four days in Charleston eating fabulous low country meals in several of their acclaimed restaurants during the Food and Wine Festival. Eating out in Tahiti was no more expensive than Charleston. Great fresh locally caught seafood prepared with regional herbs and spices always beat out frozen in our book! 

Glad you liked you experience ashore in Moorea... I stayed 3 days last yr in a overwater    my 5th visit to Tahiti...  Did not have the same.. experience... terrible.....By the way  I love French food  fly regularly to Lyon, and Paris for meals...  Tahiti is not in the same boat........I'll take the Terrace any time with with its bounty of selection... not just lobster..      Glad you loved it...

If your air to a cruise is from frequent flier awards and you are not happy with your routing, check the award calendar again. Lots moRe award flights have been loaded, likely due toall the cancelations.. I just canceled my award tix to CPH from UA, and I rebooked better flights and saved 10K miles each. The airlines are waiving cancel and redeposit fees. I shaved 3 hours off my total travel time. Sweet.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 7:58 PM, susiesan said:

Susie, you asked about excursions on Wind Spirit. Did you see the overly long review I sent? We did all independent excursions except two and were happy with every one. Did two of the ships tours to the Coral Gardens from Raiatea and Tahaa's Motu Mahaea and they were on of the highlights of the cruise. We are total snorkelers- that's all we do in Tahiti and plan on it again next month.

Nancy

10 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Susie, you asked about excursions on Wind Spirit. Did you see the overly long review I sent? We did all independent excursions except two and were happy with every one. Did two of the ships tours to the Coral Gardens from Raiatea and Tahaa's Motu Mahaea and they were on of the highlights of the cruise. We are total snorkelers- that's all we do in Tahiti and plan on it again next month.

Nancy

Yes, I read your review.  I would like to know if you do anything different on your visit in April with Regatta.