New requires temperature taken at port

With the announcement from Royal, and then indicating if you have a fever call before your cruise and get a future cruise credit, anyone who calls and indicates they have a fever, please post your outcome! Curious if it's as easy as saying you have a fever. Below is the message they went out. 

Over the last few weeks, we’ve implemented new and enhanced health & safety protocols, along with travel regulations, to ensure we maintain a healthy environment onboard as developments related to coronavirus COVID-19 continue to change globally. While we continue to assess the impact, we’ve decided to add a new health screening which supports all our initiatives put in place to help keep you healthy & safe!

So, starting March 6th, 2020 on all Royal Caribbean International ships, mandatory temperature screenings will be conducted for all guests and crewmembers on embarkation day. If your temperature is above 100.4°F or 38° C, you and those in your party will undergo a secondary health screening. Temperatures will be taken with a digital, no-touch thermometer. So, no need to worry.

If you require a secondary screening, this is what you can expect:

• Your temperature will be checked again.
    • You’ll undergo a pulse oximetry reading. This means, a small device will be placed on your finger to measure your oxygen level.
  • If you happen to have a chronic lung illness, like asthma, please bring a letter from your medical practitioner that indicates your normal baseline oxygen saturation levels. This will help ensure you are not denied boarding if you are healthy otherwise.
  • Then, a medical professional will check you for flu-like symptoms, respiratory illness, etc., and would make a final assessment to understand if you’re fit to sail.

If it is decided that we must unfortunately deny you boarding, you’ll receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit for your cruise fare paid, and any precruise Royal Caribbean International purchases and taxes and fees will be refunded to your original form of payment.

And, if for any reason, you happen to have a fever before your cruise, we kindly ask you to not come to the port. Please contact us or your Travel Advisor immediately and we will happily provide you with a credit for future travel.

• Like 1

Where was this posted?  I check Royal Caribbean’s website daily and haven’t seen that.  We are scheduled to embark in Rome to the Greek islands.  They’ve posted that if we travel anywhere in Italy before the cruise ( and we were planning on it), then we can’t board.  They won’t refund our money now.  We have to show up and let them know we’ve traveled in Italy.  This seems incredibly stupid to me.  If I’ve been in an area they think is high risk... why on earth would they want me to show up, stand in line and potentially expose everyone??  It would be much better to let people cancel their cruises.  
I’m  very interested to hear if anyone has an experience of just calling and letting them know you have a fever.   

• Like 1

Just now, srf mom said:

Where was this posted?  I check Royal Caribbean’s website daily and haven’t seen that.  We are scheduled to embark in Rome to the Greek islands.  They’ve posted that if we travel anywhere in Italy before the cruise ( and we were planning on it), then we can’t board.  They won’t refund our money now.  We have to show up and let them know we’ve traveled in Italy.  This seems incredibly stupid to me.  If I’ve been in an area they think is high risk... why on earth would they want me to show up, stand in line and potentially expose everyone??  It would be much better to let people cancel their cruises.  
I’m  very interested to hear if anyone has an experience of just calling and letting them know you have a fever.   

I received it via email and text about an hour ago. We leave next Saturday from Puerto Rico

42 minutes ago, hazence said:

Good news going forward...easy out even on the day of travel. 

Doesn’t seem fair though to those who have cancelled just recently and lost money. 

Those other people canceled out of fear, not because they had symptoms. People who have been canceling at the pier due to symptoms have been getting refunds or credits already. 

I agree that there may be a number of passengers that call in with "fevers" that just do not want to sail.  However, Royal Caribbean keeps saying they are operating in an abundance of caution.  While there may be those that abuse this, at least we do not end up with sick people showing up at the pier to prove they have a fever because they do not want to lose their money.

I am good with this new procedure.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

So am I....just hope that some people wouldn't dose themselves with NSAIDs an hour or two before boarding just so they can pass the temp check. Never know nowadays. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

52 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I agree that there may be a number of passengers that call in with "fevers" that just do not want to sail.  However, Royal Caribbean keeps saying they are operating in an abundance of caution.  While there may be those that abuse this, at least we do not end up with sick people showing up at the pier to prove they have a fever because they do not want to lose their money.

Absolutely agree! We sail Sunday on Anthem. I am relieved (somewhat) w the addtl screening and FCC offer. This has been a stressful cpl of weeks leading up to our cruise. Sunday can't get here soon enough :)!

Just now, Royal Fun said:

Absolutely agree! We sail Sunday on Anthem. I am relieved (somewhat) w the addtl screening and FCC offer. This has been a stressful cpl of weeks leading up to our cruise. Sunday can't get here soon enough :)!

Agreed! We fly out to Puerto Rico on Thursday for our cruise Saturday. The additional screening makes me feel a little better. I'm not concerned so much about getting sick since my wife and I are early 30s with no health issues but being quarantined is the part I don't want. 

We planned on only using the stairs this cruise instead of the elevators and this outbreak makes us stick to it even more 🙂

11 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

So am I....just hope that some people wouldn't dose themselves with NSAIDs an hour or two before boarding just so they can pass the temp check. Never know nowadays. 

That's going to happen, without a doubt.  Along with every other technique to lower body temperature for at least long enough to get through screening.

I like the idea, but might need to go to a doctor on that oxygen thing since I have very mild case of asthma . I was really surprised that there was no checking for anything on celebrity a couple of weeks ago.

5 minutes ago, colesc15 said:

Agreed! We fly out to Puerto Rico on Thursday for our cruise Saturday. The additional screening makes me feel a little better. I'm not concerned so much about getting sick since my wife and I are early 30s with no health issues but being quarantined is the part I don't want. 

We planned on only using the stairs this cruise instead of the elevators and this outbreak makes us stick to it even more 🙂

Yep. Same here. I have Lysol wipes, Lysol spray, and hand sanitizer packed. I've been practicing not touching my face and I've been wearing my gloves in public (it's cold here still) lol I'm ready!