Celebrity no longer giving full refunds if denied boarding, get a cruise credit of a future cruise.

isdoo

1 hour ago, middlehaitch said:

And, just to add to the confusion, on the Canada and USA web with the Thursday, 5 March, 2020 Travel Alert update which says FCC for denied boarding for health reasons, there is a link at the bottom Embarkation Temperature Check Procedures that takes one to a letter PDF which still maintains 

"Secondary health screenings will be performed by medical professionals who will check for flu-like symptoms and pulse oximetry readings.  Any guests who are denied boarding due to concerns during their health screening will receive 100% refund."  

No mention of FCC, dated March 5, 2020.

Soo, who knows where full 100% refund is applicable, leading one to surmise- monies back to customer via method of initial payment, and full refund as a FCC ("In some cases, guests presenting certain symptoms in the specialized health screenings may be denied boarding. All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full refunds in the form of a Future Cruise Credit.")as per the Travel Alert web page.

Clarity  and consistency is needed by Celebrity.

Cheers, heather 🥂

You, perchance, are interpreting that the refund will be in cash, when in fact it is through FCC.

Where 'refund' means, in this case, on that sailing instead of losing out altogether.

I understand how the interpretation can made for cash...

This is a policy which most cruise lines are following, currently and is subject to change, again.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

1 hour ago, isdoo said:

Wrong. If they decline you from boarding then there is no refund. Only a credit. Big difference. 

This is not the customer deciding to cancel. If the customer decides to cancel then fair enough. 

there is never a cash refund, only a credit in the form of a FCC.,  If they are declining you from boarding, you are ill and should bnto be there in any case, spreading whatever you have with everyone else.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

What are the cancellation penalties in the UK were one to cancel the sailing at 48 hours before sailing?

bon voyage

@Bo1953 hi, the new Cruise with Confidence policy has also been applied to UK bookings so it’s 100% FCC up to 48 hrs before departure for cruises up to July 31 2020.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

You, perchance, are interpreting that the refund will be in cash, when in fact it is through FCC.

Where 'refund' means, in this case, on that sailing instead of losing out altogether.

bon voyage

I think most when told a 'full refund'/'100% refund' would interpret that their monies would be returned to them by the manner in which they paid (most likely credit card). So much so that Celebrity amended their  "TravelAlert" post this morning to  say " full refunds in the form of a Future Cruise Credit."instead of the previous "full Refund" ""100% Refund".

Why do that if they assumed all would interpret it as a credit even  though it clearly said refund?

This is still showing " 100% refund." Unspecified, but not stated as- %100 credit, or %100 FCC, so an expectation of refund via method of payment is the logical expectation as other, more appropriate, wording would have clarified the initial offer. 

A refund is the return of money, not a credit.

ie: I would not expect my tax refund to be credited towards my next tax filing debt, I would expect monies back. Otherwise I  would be getting a tax credit to apply against my next tax debt.

We shall agree to disagree that there is a difference between refund and credit.

Cheers, heather 🥂 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

This is a policy which most cruise lines are following, currently and is subject to change, again.

bon voyage

43 minutes ago, middlehaitch said:

I think most when told a 'full refund'/'100% refund' would interpret that their monies would be returned to them by the manner in which they paid (most likely credit card). So much so that Celebrity amended their  "TravelAlert" post this morning to  say " full refunds in the form of a Future Cruise Credit."instead of the previous "full Refund" ""100% Refund".

Why do that if they assumed all would interpret it as a credit even  though it clearly said refund?

This is still showing " 100% refund." Unspecified, but not stated as- %100 credit, or %100 FCC, so an expectation of refund via method of payment is the logical expectation as other, more appropriate, wording would have clarified the initial offer. 

A refund is the return of money, not a credit.

ie: I would not expect my tax refund to be credited towards my next tax filing debt, I would expect monies back. Otherwise I  would be getting a tax credit to apply against my next tax debt.

We shall agree to disagree that there is a difference between refund and credit.

Cheers, heather 🥂 

As much as Bo and I agree on most subjects under discussion on this board, I'm with you totally Heather. There's no question of interpretation, and as I said in an earlier post, "a refund and a credit are two very different things, both by definition and in practise." Celebrity could take a lesson from its parent company, as the wording in RCCL's press release earlier today uses the proper terminology: "Guests will receive a full credit for their fare, usable on any future sailing of the guest’s choice in 2020 or 2021." Not a "refund" or "full refunds in the form of a Future Cruise Credit" but the proper terminology "full credit".

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

As much as Bo and I agree on most subjects under discussion on this board, I'm with you totally Heather. There's no question of interpretation, and as I said in an earlier post, "a refund and a credit are two very different things, both by definition and in practise." Celebrity could take a lesson from its parent company, as the wording in RCCL's press release earlier today uses the proper terminology: "Guests will receive a full credit for their fare, usable on any future sailing of the guest’s choice in 2020 or 2021." Not a "refund" or "full refunds in the form of a Future Cruise Credit" but the proper terminology "full credit".

Legally a no brainer. If they mean the same, why aren’t they stated the same? Per their web site, it says a person denied boarding will get a “full refund”, while person cancelling their booking will get a “future cruise credit for the full amount” to be used in the next two years.

A classic small claims court opportunity. Their high priced lawyers couldn’t delay it and would have no chance of winning.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I draw upon the policies of other cruise lines AND review some of their 'current policies', all of which have evolved and can change hourly... either in lock-step or independently.

Thus is my opine and thoughts about it.

More often than not, the whole industry is going to have a 'flavour' of the moment policy regarding this situation and it really does not matter, for the moment, if we like how they interpret their writings and policies, just as long as it is applied universally.

Just like some of my posts or emails, there are times when I think 'heck, I could have written this differently' and try to do better next time with thoughts and approach. In this case it is just me writing, I consider in this situation what is the policy of the industry and take it from there in my interpretation unless there is a distinct application of the policy that is different.

I do appreciate how this policy, by some of its' written wording, can be interpreted and cause expectation of actual money back to the buyer in the form of original payment, no doubt, yet when looking at the 'current' industry standards and policies it is FCC a/k/a refund, fortunately or unfortunately.

Thank you all and bon voyage

• Like 2

Precise terminology matters. Policies can change daily or hourly, but that doesn't preclude attention to detail. It's not a question of writing differently but of writing accurately. 

Ah well, just so long as my income tax refund is a real refund and not a credit towards next year's income tax, I'll be happy. :classic_wink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1