Time for NCL to STEP UP!!! - Updating their cancellation policy due to COVID-19

21 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Damn! I was really hoping for the OBC incentive to keep our booking that Carnival passengers are getting.

Us too....but ours isn't until May so it may change.

I have talked to THREE customer service agents in 25 minutes..

ALL three have told me different about dates, percentages and types of refunds.

All three have also told me that it's frozen until the 10th.

Edited by babydaryl24

It's interesting that those who have spent today pummelling NCL for 'doing nothing' have now turned silent.....despite the fact that NCL's policy extends a further year to end 2022. A huge well done to NCL for truly stepping up!

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, hamrag said:

It's interesting that those who have spent today pummelling NCL for 'doing nothing' have now turned silent.....despite the fact that NCL's policy extends a further year to end 2022. A huge well done to NCL for truly stepping up!

I am THRILLED.  We are booked on the Escape on 3/14.  Mostly likely going to take advantage of this offer.  I think NCL really stepped up and did the right thing.

• Like 3

Well, we are sailing on March 8th. Haven't started travel yet, but as soon as I saw the policy change I called in. I agree it's good and 2022 is a great move, BUT......

No flexibility. So we, from Seattle area, are left with 2 options - (1) throw away all our money, or (2) ignore government advice not to travel, avoid gatherings etc. Being from Seattle, an area with students who attend schools now closed and with most major businesses requiring anyone who can to work from home, why am I given no option but to continue with my travel or throw away my money. I am Latitudes Gold but this (if I go) will be my last NCL Cruise. Maybe I should escalate my case to Mike Pence for his meeting with the cruise lines tomorrow. What is the difference in terms of safety from doing it effective immediately or doing it next Tuesday - it just puts more people at risk. Of course, the obvious answer, is that it's about the money for NCL. Sad....

I note that Holland America also brought in a 3 day cancellation policy but also WAIVED the 3 day requirement for anyone with imminent sailings. Called NCL and escalated to a supervisor who fully understood but said that they have NO FLEXIBILITY in this policy. 

So, congratulations NCL for continuing to put people at risk. Make it effective immediately.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SHP said:

Well, we are sailing on March 8th. Haven't started travel yet, but as soon as I saw the policy change I called in. I agree it's good and 2022 is a great move, BUT......

No flexibility. So we, from Seattle area, are left with 2 options - (1) throw away all our money, or (2) ignore government advice not to travel, avoid gatherings etc. Being from Seattle, an area with students who attend schools now closed and with most major businesses requiring anyone who can to work from home, why am I given no option but to continue with my travel or throw away my money. I am Latitudes Gold but this (if I go) will be my last NCL Cruise. Maybe I should escalate my case to Mike Pence for his meeting with the cruise lines tomorrow. What is the difference in terms of safety from doing it effective immediately or doing it next Tuesday - it just puts more people at risk. Of course, the obvious answer, is that it's about the money for NCL. Sad....

I note that Holland America also brought in a 3 day cancellation policy but also WAIVED the 3 day requirement for anyone with imminent sailings. Called NCL and escalated to a supervisor who fully understood but said that they have NO FLEXIBILITY in this policy. 

So, congratulations NCL for continuing to put people at risk. Make it effective immediately.

We are also supposed to be on a March 8th sailing. I agree with you 100%. This is not the right thing. Its ok for us to put ourselves at risk or be penalized 100% but someone leaving two days later than us has 0 penalties and have the choice?!!!  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hamrag said:

I stepped away to watch the Pres and Veep talk about the escalating situation; but I did give my shout outs to NCL on FB & Twitter while doing so!!! I also want to say here, Thank You NCL for stepping up to the plate and offering options to your PAX. HOWEVER, I do believe they need to address the concerns of the PAX who are caught in limbo and face losing their money bc they have a cruise this weekend. To those PAX, keep applying the pressure and hopefully NCL will make allowances for them too!!!

Here is the huge issue. They just said todaybthat the princess ship off California had 21 positives out of 40 something tested. 

19 of which were CREW MEMBERS.   

Screening will do nothing for that.  Unless they are screening crew. And since fever isn’t predictive of illness are we just gonna hope those that rely on this for a living aren’t gonna lie?    This is a disaster for those of us that were really hoping to go....

• Like 1

Oh the hilarity...all the outrage and mass exodus from NCL because they didn’t immediately follow suit of their competitors...then to have NCL’s rebooking policy be better than its competitors in many respects 😂😂😂😂

Breathe people breathe 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, LS6Caddy said:

Oh the hilarity...all the outrage and mass exodus from NCL because they didn’t immediately follow suit of their competitors...then to have NCL’s rebooking policy be better than its competitors in many respects 😂😂😂😂

Breathe people breathe 

Except they aren't actually doing it until the 10th........ If you try to call right now to cancel.. everything is on hold until the 10th.

1 minute ago, oregonian123 said:

Hi, was your call to NCL or to a TA?

I spoke with my TA and NCL. TA called NCL a few times. I am now on the phone with NCL again and she is getting her supervisor.  We are supposed to cruise on Sunday out of NYC  ( I know your question wasn't directed to me- but wanted to chime in)

Edited by hapE2cruise

3 minutes ago, oregonian123 said:

Hi, was your call to NCL or to a TA?

NCL.

Three agents.

Two men. One woman.

They all gave different quotes with what happens to the refund periods for cash refunds... They all told me different policies for everything... AND they all three said nothing can be done until the 10th.

1 hour ago, hapE2cruise said:

I just called NCL. Our cruise is this Sunday. NCL told me too bad. I can cancel with no money back- thats my choice. But someone who is leaving 2 days later than me has the choice and full credit?!. This is absurd!.  I'm waiting to hear back from my TA about my insurance.. I'm so scared about getting quarantined on a ship. Not scared about catching it. I don't know what to do.

We are leaving sunday too from LA. I also would like to cancel without 100% penalty. Its absurd.  Let me know what your TA says.

24 minutes ago, hapE2cruise said:

I spoke with my TA and NCL. TA called NCL a few times. I am now on the phone with NCL again and she is getting her supervisor.  We are supposed to cruise on Sunday out of NYC  ( I know your question wasn't directed to me- but wanted to chime in)

Your issue is that your cruise is less than 48 hours away, the policy (which matched RCI's) was allowing cancellation until 48 hours before sailing.  In your case the date it begins doesn't make much difference, unless they decided to allow cancellations with full refunds right up until boarding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babydaryl24 said:

NCL.

Three agents.

Two men. One woman.

They all gave different quotes with what happens to the refund periods for cash refunds... They all told me different policies for everything... AND they all three said nothing can be done until the 10th.

Thank you for your quick response. I guess I will now wait until Tuesday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hapE2cruise said:

Thank you for your chiming in. I will now wait until Tuesday

3 hours ago, hamrag said:

I wouldn't really say a huge well done. Those of us who are cruising before March 10th are facing a very tough decision here. I'm due to sail on March 8th and it's either lose all my money, or take the risk and go. For those who decide to go, how much can you really enjoy your cruise with this in the back of your mind the entire time? I'd be 100% ok with the future cruise credit instead of a refund. Not the best situation I've been in, I'll say that. I wish NCL follows suit with their competitors and does the right thing for ALL of us, not just most of us. I will say if NCL doesn't do the right thing, I won't be sailing with them ever again, and I believe I'm not alone in feeling this way.

I agree 100%. Called today and got a very sympathetic but unhelpful response. Can't blame the people I spoke with (cruise consultant and then supervisor) who both took time and claimed they spoke with management. We are Latitude Gold and I made it quite clear that future cruise credit was fine and we would definitely remain with NCL, but if "forced" to choose between throwing away our money and cruising then this would be our final NCL cruise.

What worries me most is what changes between now and boarding (also Mar 8). We are from Seattle, and have kids in schools closed because of the virus. You wouldl think they don't WANT us on the ship! However, no options.

S

• Like 1