Time for NCL to STEP UP!!! - Updating their cancellation policy due to COVID-19

My only regret now is not booking my hotel in NYC with NCL. I did a non-refundable booking through Travelocity to get the best rate since it is high travel time. My cruise consultant recommended not booking with them to save money. So, I will be out about 1200 if I cancel my cruise. I have over 8k into the cruise portion. Prepaid gratuities, thermal suites, soda for my son, flight deviations, transfers, penthouse suite... 

My musing is, if I were to cancel... Is the FCC going to be at my discretion? My son may not be able to cruise with us in the future... which makes it so I could  probably turn the 1 cruise value into several cruises for me and my other half. OR does it get divided by passengers? My son was a "3rd guest free"... Oh the questions we will all have. Anyone have thoughts?

It really stinks for those who are sailing this week, but the peace of mind I am having right now is wonderful. I am not afraid of COVID19, just being quarantined to cabin... with my man, yes... fine, with my 20 year old son... I would go insane!  I was already considering upgrading to a 2 room suite to get more privacy, but opted to save the money for port visits. 

I applaud NCL for the 12/31/22 embarkation deadline with the FCC... granted, I'd rather have a full refund, but since I would lose a lot with a refund, I would take the credit if we cancel.

This really stinks though... I booked almost a year ago... and have had this baby paid off since November. dilemmas

Edited by DLepard

Well, I'm actually very sad that this virus has caused such a huge disruption of plans.. I don't want to cancel my Mar. 29th cruise from Tampa on the Dawn, however, I also don't want to pay the price I've paid prior to this virus outbreak.  I'll likely call sometime after the 10th so see what can be done. If they can't help me get a better cabin or more OBC... I'll likely cancel; shame really since that's not what I want but neither do I want to pay double what's being offered now for the same cruise.  

I know... I agreed to the price... should be happy to cruise but...  really not sure what to do at this point. 

55 minutes ago, Njkrewzer said:

I will say if NCL doesn't do the right thing, I won't be sailing with them ever again, and I believe I'm not alone in feeling this way.

You're less than 48 hours from your cruise.  Check what other cruise lines are doing for people in the same situation, I bet it's the exact same as NCL is doing.  At the very least RCI is also at a 48-hour limit for full refund, others are probably similar.  Are THEY making exceptions?  I browsed the first couple pages of the main thread on the new policy for RCI, I'll leave the rest up to you but since the pages I browsed were posted before 5 PM today most Sunday sailings were still more than 48 hours out so there were no complaints yet.

I understand that, but it doesnt make me or the thousands of other passengers any less susceptible to the virus than the people who sail on the 10th. Also, when I called this morning I was told the same thing and it was more than 48 hours until sailing .This is a global crisis at the moment, and they cant guarantee the safety or the health of their passengers. It's just bad business to offer an exclusionary compromise. I'm not asking for a refund, but at least give me the option to rebook at a later (safer) date

Edited by Njkrewzer

I have to say I'm thrilled with the outcome.  We are due to sail on May 3 so given I can cancel up to 48 hours before embarkation I'm in no hurry to cancel anymore.  For all I know this could be resolved by then.  I still have the issue of non-refundable airline tickets and 3 nights prepaid hotel in Barcelona, and the fact that we are so looking forward to this I hope I don't need to cancel.

I wonder what happens to the people sailing on the 8th if you show up to the terminal with the sniffles, they won’t let you board for sure, do you still lose everything or get a credit?

Edited by Pattyd227

1 minute ago, Pattyd227 said:

I wonder what happens to the people sailing on the 8th if you show up to the terminal with the sniffles, they won’t let you board for sure, do you still lose everything or get a credit?

We get screwed, that's what happens. I called this morning 53 hours before my sailing to be told that their offer isn't available to those sailing on the 8th and the 9th, as though we are somehow magically immune. My child isn't as important as the children sailing on the 10th I suppose. Way to go NCL! Great PR you bunch of nickel and diming scum

17 hours ago, babydaryl24 said:

This is new. Wow.

Who did you speak to?? Calling now.

Could you forward your receipt to me on here? For proof? I would  love you forever.

Hi sorry couldn't reply yesterday. Hope you have sorted your cruise refund/future credit out now

Events have moved so fast. My booking was made in the UK so spoke to their reservations team in Southampton UK various people the names escape me right now.

Perhaps some variation in policy interpretation for different countries. 

Just waiting for the refund to appear in 10 days or so now before I finally relax.

Anyway here's to future cruising without the drama

17 hours ago, babydaryl24 said:

This is new. Wow.

Who did you speak to?? Calling now.

Could you forward your receipt to me on here? For proof? I would  love you forever.

Hi sorry couldn't reply yesterday. Hope you have sorted your cruise refund/future credit out now

Events have moved so fast. My booking was made in the UK so spoke to their reservations team in Southampton UK various people the names escape me right now.

Perhaps some variation in policy interpretation for different countries. 

Just waiting for the refund to appear in 10 days or so now before I finally relax.

Anyway here's to future cruising without the drama

9 hours ago, Njkrewzer said:

We get screwed, that's what happens. I called this morning 53 hours before my sailing to be told that their offer isn't available to those sailing on the 8th and the 9th, as though we are somehow magically immune. My child isn't as important as the children sailing on the 10th I suppose. Way to go NCL! Great PR you bunch of nickel and diming scum

LOL...guess you and your child are immune to norovirus?  Get a grip....fearmongering 

1 hour ago, bbixler18 said:

LOL...guess you and your child are immune to norovirus?  Get a grip....fearmongering 

Comparing norovirus to coronavirus? Why dont you get a grip and do some research. No "fearmongering", I just would've liked the same option that everyone else had to err on the side of caution. The idea of getting stuck in the quarantine doesnt seem too appealing. The people who sail on the 10th can reschedule but those on the 9th can't. Yea that makes sense. 

• Like 1