Time for NCL to STEP UP!!! - Updating their cancellation policy due to COVID-19

I just called NCL to see about cancelling for a future cruise credit.  Our cruise is April 17th . I was told that they are only doing that for cruises leaving 60 days out or more...I was a little surprised, considering the problem we are having is now....

4 minutes ago, LS6Caddy said:

It doesn't really make much sense for NCL to make some big policy change today with the travel industry meeting with the current administration tomorrow...depending on what comes of that they may have to turn around and make changes a day later.  Just because the other lines are doing it does not mean it is the smart thing to do AT THIS TIME...as in today.   And unless your cruise is next week...as in you have to cancel in the next hour or so...it is smart as a consumer to wait and see what tomorrows meeting brings to any policy changes...if any.  What if you change your cruise today to a future cruise credit and then tomorrow it comes out they are offering refunds...you could miss out on the opportunity to get a refund. 

Everybody just needs to slow down and take a breath (unless you are boarding tomorrow or Sunday, in which case you are probably committed at this point any way) and see what happens in the next couple days.  This is evolving very fast each and every day.  And it is very complicated situation.  Running all these ships half or more empty for the next monthish would be crippling to the cruise industry, as well as the ports they go to.  So it is wise of them to make the most informed decision, not just the quickest one.  The article does not "hint" at banning cruise travel.  It says they are exploring what that may look like.  A ban is very unlikely, because the ripple affect of banning air travel, subway travel, etc.  Seems as though at this moment, an advisory against all travel is most likely.  

Thank you for what, by some distance, is the most balanced and sensible post on this and many similar threads!

• Like 3

Just now, blueflower1968 said:

I just called NCL to see about cancelling for a future cruise credit.  Our cruise is April 17th . I was told that they are only doing that for cruises leaving 60 days out or more...I was a little surprised, considering the problem we are having is now....

I totally agree with you. We sail on April 24th. I am not sure I would have started to think about cancelling a June or July Cruise. 
But I do want to postpone my April cruise. Maybe they are waiting for the negotiations to be finished with the US government and hoping for a cruise industry bailout before they make any offers. If that’s the case this will be our one and only cruise (assuming we can reschedule) on Norwegian. Disney, RCL and others can have my future business.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, apple314 said:

I totally agree with you. We sail on April 24th. I am not sure I would have started to think about cancelling a June or July Cruise. 
But I do want to postpone my April cruise. Maybe they are waiting for the negotiations to be finished with the US government and hoping for a cruise industry bailout before they make any offers. If that’s the case this will be our one and only cruise (assuming we can reschedule) on Norwegian. Disney, RCL and others can have my future business.  

Let's keep our fingers crossed 🙂 

• Like 1

I cancelled our Mediterranean early this evening. It was that or live with the uncertainty of NCL cancelling it, flights being disrupted or airport access restricted plus the social impact of the virus itself. We were due to sail on Getaway on 8th May from  Civitavecchia  for 10 days. We were 63 days out in terms of the cancellation policy and when I called NCL UK in the afternoon I was told the only option was a 35% cancellation payment as per the official terms and conditions. I asked about goodwill, loyalty, rebooking in the future and there was a negative response. However following the news in the late afternoon about other cruise companies altering their cancellation policies I decided to try again and called back. This time I was offered a full refund less my deposit. I was left on hold for a few minutes while a supervisor checked details but the good news was yes a full refund. Minutes later the confirmation was emailed across and payment is due sometime over the next week to ten days. Friends of ours on the same cruise also called late afternoon and had the same result, a full refund !! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, turtlegirl2 said:

My cruise IS next week, so this is a big deal to me! NCL should follow suit with the other big lines! I don’t expect a refund, just let me use my $8K in the future!!! 

I agree. I'm set to sail on March 15 and every hour that ticks by is a chance that whatever is offered won't apply to me. As is, the Carnival policy does't kick in until the 9th, so people scheduled to sail this weekend on Carnival are stuck doing so or forfeiting their entire cruise fare.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, robins11 said:

I cancelled our Mediterranean early this evening. It was that or live with the uncertainty of NCL cancelling it, flights being disrupted or airport access restricted plus the social impact of the virus itself. We were due to sail on Getaway on 8th May from  Civitavecchia  for 10 days. We were 63 days out in terms of the cancellation policy and when I called NCL UK in the afternoon I was told the only option was a 35% cancellation payment as per the official terms and conditions. I asked about goodwill, loyalty, rebooking in the future and there was a negative response. However following the news in the late afternoon about other cruise companies altering their cancellation policies I decided to try again and called back. This time I was offered a full refund less my deposit. I was left on hold for a few minutes while a supervisor checked details but the good news was yes a full refund. Minutes later the confirmation was emailed across and payment is due sometime over the next week to ten days. Friends of ours on the same cruise also called late afternoon and had the same result, a full refund !! 

This is new. Wow.

Who did you speak to?? Calling now.

Could you forward your receipt to me on here? For proof? I would  love you forever.

I hope NCL Does update their policy for cancellations. I was ready to book on April 12 cruise on NCL And decided to go with Celebrity yesterday because they are now giving a fairly generous cancellation option. And Celebrity you now have up to 48 hours before sailing to cancel and you will receive a future cruise credit for the entire amount you paid. I think that’s fair!

However, I love Norwegian!

17 minutes ago, robins11 said:

I just called and they did not honor this for me.. and I sail May 24.

Who did you speak to?

Hi Folks

We just got off phone with NCL a minute ago and they will not fully refund our cruise. We are sailing out of Venice on May 15th. They will only refund with penalties applied. This is horrible service! 

2 hours ago, rnormore said:

I agree we need to start to bombard their social media accounts. We need to be at least be able to reschedule for a later date. I have already made a post on their FB page.  I am sure there are plenty of cruisers who have the same feelings.

Their Facebook page isn't taking messages, anymore...

I've attempted to reschedule our 3/14 sailing though multiple reps today at NCL and their lack of customer service is apparent.  They act like they are keeping Coronavirus off of their ships and are Superior to CCL and RCL.  Unbelievable.  Sure hope corporate steps up and changes the policy.  Just cancelled our 10 day Med cruise on the Getaway for June 2021.  No way are they getting my future business after today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dlarruso said:

Hearing that the administration would potentially suspend cruising for a period of time, but would also provide the cruise industry a financial "bail out" of sorts to cover losses like they did for the banks, car manufacturers and airlines during the recession.

Would they suspend airline travel for the airlines that brought back corona passengers from China, Italy and Iran? You have to be evenhanded in this stuff, or a judge slaps your hand and says you can't do it.

I was just told that I am 77 days out.

I get a 75% refund today and tomorrow.

On Sunday it goes down to 50%.

I have one day to make a $2400 decision unless  the White House calls for cancellations. 

I may  consult  an attorney this evening.

• Like 1

If I can’t reschedule my POA HAWAII cruise on 3/14/20, I will immediately be canceling my October 2020 Greek Island Cruise & NCL will get no more of my business!! Disney cruise lines has now joined the decent cruise lines to allow reschedules. The big a$$ companies have to have contingency plans for these “Black Swan” events! Maybe building g 10 new mega ships right now isn’t a great idea NCL...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gumby&Pokey2 said:

I think we should give NCL a reasonable amount of time to adopt this policy... Say like 30 min....  And then start cancelling ALL future cruises that we can.

I cancelled mine an hour back.. they just lost $4500 plus rip off tips..

2 hours ago, MrMike45 said:

Whole world...no 

Cruises leaving from US ports...yes, I believe that falls under the president's jurisdiction.  

And as someone else mentioned, it is being hinted at.  So not entirely impossible.  What that means for cancellations and re-bookings, who the hell knows.  

I agree , The airports were shut down after 911... just saying. Anything is possible at this point.  People are being arrested and jailed in other countries  for hoarding mask for Pete’s sake. It’s mass hysteria in some parts of the world.

Edited by Pattyd227
Sent to soon wanted to comment further