Avoid at any cost.

abualsamid

48 minutes ago, Sara_smile said:

Incorrect.  You are spreading false information.  You cannot cancel a cruise because a fear of a virus and get any refund period.  NCL's cancel for any reason would NOT refund you either but give you future cruise credit.

Please research the policy.  

I apologize,  I wasn't referring to NCL's insurance.  I purchased mine through my travel agent and received money not credits.  

Many thousands of us had (have) cruise reservations and are worried about coronavirus.  We awaited appropriate action by NCL and have now been accommodated in reasonable fashion.  I am grateful to NCL in a difficult situation.  

• Like 2

hopefully, OP did have some form of travel insurance, especially given the child's health issues.  and if they did not then I echo other posters concerns and remarks.  It is not actually up to the cruise line  or airline, given the circumstance to erase their rules just because there are extenuating circumstances.  this is why we should always purchase travel insurance for the unforseen, and also read those contracts and know what we are covered for and not.  I admit to being negligent with this in the past, but have never had to make a claim. 

sorry to OP for your situation, but in future do your homework before cruise or travel, and know what you can and cannot claim.

Hope you can finally, get some peace with this situation, and however it results, just go with a learning situation.  know in the future what kind of insurance to have in place.  wish you OP some peace with your decision.

They now cancelled the cruise on their own, and they are still refusing to refund/credit my purchase.

If you think I am a troll, here is my reservation number, 41581184, feel free to call them and confirm all this, or better yet, get my money back.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, abualsamid said:

They now cancelled the cruise on their own, and they are still refusing to refund/credit my purchase.

If you think I am a troll, here is my reservation number, 41581184, feel free to call them and confirm all this, or better yet, get my money back.

I've got a Princess cruise coming up and I saw some people had a similar problem with cancelling a cruise proactively.  Initially Princess refused a refund if you cancelled on your own.  They have since changed the wording to say:

"For guests that have already cancelled a March 6-May 31, 2020 cruise or cruisetour on or after January 20, 2020, they will automatically receive Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for 100% of cancellation fees; no need to call Princess."

Maybe NCL will come around as well.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 6:50 PM, abualsamid said:

I booked a cruise for my family, including two children with disabilities, for our Spring Break vacation.
My child has a history of severe asthma reactions to upper respiratory infections. 
When the corona virus epidemic started, I got worried about him getting severely sick while at sea. In the past he ended up in the ICU three times.
I called them to ask for a refund for a future trip. They flat out refused. I called the following week, and the lady explicitly told me to "cancel the reservation and write to our customer care team" as the only option.
I did so, and was flat out denied by the customer care team. I wrote them back, I was flat out denied. I called again, I was flat out denied. Every time with zero empathy.

Today, they announced "peace of mind, cancel your reservation if you are worried about corona virus." I called and they said "you already canceled, this does not apply to you". When I lost my temper the customer service HUNG UP THE PHONE.

I would not travel on Norweigian if they paid me my weight in gold to do it. 

So many call centres record calls .Ask them for a copy of the conversation where you were advised to cancel and write to the customer care team.

1 hour ago, abualsamid said:

So, what about your travel insurance? I would think someone travelling with medical issues would have had a good policy....a note from your doctor with your claim would probably make you whole if you had the appropriate coverage.

3 hours ago, abualsamid said:

I hope you get compensated.  As someone stated, Princess Cruise lines had the same policy but changed it after they had to cancel operations and refunded those customers who had cancelled.  I hope NCL does the same.  Please keep us posted.

• Thanks 1

Keep at it.  What a terrible ordeal you went through.  I understand why you lost your cool.  Keep calling, write letters.  At the least you should receive a credit good through the end of the year.   Some of the post I read here were heartless.  Good Luck and I hope you all stay well.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, minivanmama said:

Keep at it.  What a terrible ordeal you went through.  I understand why you lost your cool.  Keep calling, write letters.  At the least you should receive a credit good through the end of the year.   Some of the post I read here were heartless.  Good Luck and I hope you all stay well.  

See, this is more of what we need.  EVERYONE is stressed about what is happening in the world.  Why should we belittle and put someone down because they did not purchase travel insurance.  I did not, nor do I generally purchase insurance, you know why?  Because I did not expect my vacation to be canceled by a global pandemic...Will I purchase travel insurance that covers pandemics in the future?  Probably...

I agree with most that NCL has, for the most part stepped up - however in a lot of ways their hand was forced.  I agree with some posters that folks who canceled prior to the peace of mind policy should be offered the same options as others.  

This is not the time to criticize others for their decisions, help each other out through this tough time and hopefully we all learn from mistakes and we come out better once everything blows over.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, KSSS2013 said:

So, what about your travel insurance? I would think someone travelling with medical issues would have had a good policy....a note from your doctor with your claim would probably make you whole if you had the appropriate coverage.

Most travel insurance policies only cover pre-existing conditions if you follow very strict guidelines when purchasing the policy.  Generally, you need to purchase a pre-existing rider within a very short time period after making your first payment for the trip.  You may also have to follow other time period limits when paying additional funds for the trip (purchasing excursions, final payment, specialty dinners, etc.)  So I don't think a simple note from a doctor would do any good if OP didn't purchase and maintain a pre-existing condition rider.

And to repeat others here; only CFAR insurance would cover cancelling for fear of contracting an illness.

On 3/7/2020 at 2:55 PM, abualsamid said:

I was on the phone with them this morning, they said the current Peace of Mind policy does not apply to our case, because we already cancelled (based on their explicit instructions to us to cancel in order to ask customer care for a credit). When I got upset (after many rounds back and fourth) that a Peace-of-Mind policy does not apply based on a technicality they hung up on me.

Probably not the way to handle your situation by yelling at the Customer Service team because you didn’t get your way.

This is the strangest situation I’ve seen in the 20+ years I’ve been cruising.  I don’t think anyone could predict any of this.

Bottom line, you cancelled with the understanding you’d lose the fare you paid.  Whatever happened after that point is really irrelevant to your case.