Mariner, Navigator or Voyager

We have only been on one Regent cruise ( on the Explorer).

We have one scheduled on the Splendor in September 2020

and are really looking forward to that cruise. We will be booking

another cruise in 2021. Which ship would we enjoy the most

( considering an itinerary that we like) since we have only

sailed on the Explorer and loved that ship? Any input would

be appreciated.

Those three are the only Regent ships we've sailed so far, with both Splendor and Explorer coming up later this year for us.  So, can't compare to the newer ships.  However, we really enjoyed Mariner.  Navigator is a smaller ship, unlike any of the other Regent ships.  What category of suite are you considering?  We had a PH on Mariner and loved it. 

I'm sure you'll get more input from others.

Explorer is our favorite ship.  Navigator is our least favorite ship (for many reasons).  I have the same question that RJ2002 has - what category of suite are you considering.  Mariner has the largest (and best) PH and above suites but has the smallest lower category suites.  Voyager has very nice lower category suites but the PH suites are almost the same size as lower category suites.  Navigator suites are the same in the lower categories but the PH suites are identical in size (and they have some suites without balconies).

Due to the small suites on Mariner (and, it is important to have a shower-only suite on Mariner as their bathtubs are difficult to get into and out of - even if you are able-bodied)., our second favorite ship is Voyager.

We are just in the beginning process of this selection.

Our suite category on the Explorer was Concierge D

and the Splendor will be Concierge E. So, that is the

about what we would probably be looking at. Would

we be disappointed in either of these categories on

any of the other ships. We loved the walk in closet

and bathroom on the Explorer. As I mentioned this was

our first Regent cruise but now we are probably going to

take a future CC since we may be going to cancel

one in April, so just wondering??  
Jackie, sounds like Voyager might fit the bill.

14 minutes ago, snorkle lover said:

We are just in the beginning process of this selection.

Our suite category on the Explorer was Concierge D

and the Splendor will be Concierge E. So, that is the

about what we would probably be looking at. Would

we be disappointed in either of these categories on

any of the other ships. We loved the walk in closet

and bathroom on the Explorer. As I mentioned this was

our first Regent cruise but now we are probably going to

take a future CC since we may be going to cancel

one in April, so just wondering??  
Jackie, sounds like Voyager might fit the bill.

Voyager was our favorite ship for about 13 years (until Explorer was launched).  The Concierge suites are well laid out with a good size closet (at least as big as Explorer).  Bathrooms on Mariner, Voyager and Navigator are smaller than Explorer and, of course, these ships do not have Pacific Rim (Navigator only has one specialty restaurant - Prime 7).  The service and food are equal on all of the ships so pick the best itinerary best suits you.  

Are you cancelling the transatlantic cruise April 1st?  Just curious as we have friends on that sailing.  

Voyager and Mariner are identical in size and number of passengers.  The difference is that Voyager's cabins are larger and therefore there is less public space, while Mariner is just the opposite. Choosing between the two, then, is a matter of personal preference. Personally I prefer more public space.

Navigator is smaller with fewer passengers. I expected that because of that I would prefer it to the larger Voyager and Mariner, and was therefore surprised to discover that it is my least favourite of the three.  But I would happily sail with her again for the right itinerary. Overall it has less space per passenger than the other two (58 gross tons per passenger compared to 69 gross tons per passenger), but about the same ratio of passengers to crew.

For us it is the itinerary that primarily drives our choice. 

We have sailed on all of Regent's fleet, except the new Splendor, and have found every ship to be excellent; all with their own personalities & quirks.

You will receive the same level of friendly, efficient service whichever ship you choose.

The following previous topics may help your decisions:

Favorite Regent Ship

Voyager or Mariner?

Mariner vs Voyager

Navigator vs Voyager

Mariner vs Explorer

Enjoy your future cruises and cruise planning 😎

Edited by flossie009
  • Thanks 1

My $0.02 - Explorer is my favorite so far, booked on Splendor in May (assuming it goes) and I expect to like her as much as Explorer.  Unlike TC I really like Navigator, foibles and all, but she’s probably better for shorter, port intensive cruises.  Voyager and Mariner are both nice but they’re one restaurant down on Explorer/Splendor and Mariners basic cabins are smaller.

A lot depends on what category cabin you’re in, what your itinerary is, and what you expect on a cruise.  Any of the Regent ships will give you a nice luxurious experience with fun people and awesome crews (99% of the time, anyhow).

But I think the general consensus is that Explorer and Splendor are the cream of the crop, with Mariner and Voyager right behind them, and Navigator probably the most polarizing.  Personally, I’d sail on any of the ships in the fleet if the itinerary was right.

I've been all three of the older ships.  Looking at the layout of the Concierge D on Explorer, it's a bit smaller in square footage than a standard Voyager cabin, but perhaps a bit more square in shape on Explorer, with the bed facing the window.  The PH on Voyager is very nice, just a little bigger than standard but with a great layout.  I really like Voyager, the ship.

Mariner standard cabins are smaller by about 50 sqft  than Voyager, but as others have said, the PH's are larger than Voyager.  We love Mariner, the ship.  The public spaces are wonderful, and better than Voyager, in my humble opinion.  Our current favourite ship, despite the small cabins. It's the quietest of the three ships, in terms of vibration, and perhaps the most stable in terms of movement.

I also like Navigator.  The standard balcony cabins are really nice, although you need to avoid ones in the back of the ship.  (Both Navigator and Voyager have a bit of a vibration aft.)  The public spaces are very nice, but it definitely is a smaller ship.  I like its intimacy.

Yes to all the above! We were on the Splendor maiden voyage and she became my favorite ship BY FAR. My previous favorite was Explorer Concierge E (608 or 609). DW disagrees about the Explorer and prefers the Mariner, even with the small(er) G cabin - she loves the public areas and the stability of that boat. Because of itineraries our next cruises are:Explorer, Explorer, Voyager, and Voyager - go figure.

17 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Voyager was our favorite ship for about 13 years (until Explorer was launched).  The Concierge suites are well laid out with a good size closet (at least as big as Explorer).  Bathrooms on Mariner, Voyager and Navigator are smaller than Explorer and, of course, these ships do not have Pacific Rim (Navigator only has one specialty restaurant - Prime 7).  The service and food are equal on all of the ships so pick the best itinerary best suits you.  

Are you cancelling the transatlantic cruise April 1st?  Just curious as we have friends on that sailing.  

17 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

No Jackie, seriously thinking about canceling our Barcelona to Lisbon cruise whicl leaves on April 27. We

were also planning to spend a few nights prior to the cruise in Barcelona ( very bummed). However, we are

holding out hope for our September cruise on the Splendor Rome to Athens.

Thank you so much to everyone who weighed in on my question. I have read all the comments and

I have also made some notes. My take away is that three ships I asked about are all

great with their plusses and minuses. So, now I have to start looking at itineraries.

So bummed that we will likely be canceling our April cruise but now I have the fun

of planning another cruise. 

Just got back from 20 days on the navigator Bali to Sydney.   Will post more details later, but my 2 cents...

The navigator is sorely showing her age in the places where you normally don't consider - like the life boats used for tendering.

Our biggest issue however, was a nasty odor of "head" (poop) in almost all the public areas, the worst being in the aft port side of the compass rose dining room.  It was so offensive we couldn't eat in there after a few meals.

OK, so that ship is probably going to be off our list for any future cruising.

Thank you for that honest review.

I have a feeling that I am about to narrow down my search for a good itinerary to either the 

Splendor or the Explorer otherwise I am afraid that we will be disappointed.

6 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Looking at the layout of the Concierge D on Explorer, it's a bit smaller in square footage than a standard Voyager cabin

Are you sure?
I think that the suite size, excluding balcony, on Explorer is larger than on Voyager for D, E & F grade; or am I reading the specs wrongly?

7 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I've been all three of the older ships.  Looking at the layout of the Concierge D on Explorer, it's a bit smaller in square footage than a standard Voyager cabin, but perhaps a bit more square in shape on Explorer, with the bed facing the window.  The PH on Voyager is very nice, just a little bigger than standard but with a great layout.  I really like Voyager, the ship.

Are you looking on the rssc.com website - under "Our Ships"?  Just double checked and the following pertains to concierge suites sizes on Explorer and Voyager:

Explorer - Suite only - 332 sq. ft.  Balcony 83 - 132 sq. ft.

Voyager - Suite only: 306 sq. ft. with a 50 sq. ft balcony

In my opinion, even if they were the same square footage, Explorer is laid out much better than on any other Regent ship (especially the bathroom with 2 sinks, a lovely bathtub and shower and tons of storage.  

For others that are interested:

Mariner - Suite only - 252 square feet with a 49 sq. ft. balcony.

Note:  There are a handful of tiny suites on Explorer that were originally supposed to be for solo passengers.  Perhaps you were accidentally looking at them?  Most people I know would not stay in one of the tiny suites.

Edited by Travelcat2

4 hours ago, makai 7 said:

Just got back from 20 days on the navigator Bali to Sydney.   Will post more details later, but my 2 cents...

The navigator is sorely showing her age in the places where you normally don't consider - like the life boats used for tendering.

Our biggest issue however, was a nasty odor of "head" (poop) in almost all the public areas, the worst being in the aft port side of the compass rose dining room.  It was so offensive we couldn't eat in there after a few meals.

This now has us thinking about our Navigator cruise, May 2021.  Should we reconsider, especially since you were not able to dine in Compass Rose?

Where will we find more of your details, when you post?

Also, we are in a state of flux with our upcoming Splendor cruise on April 1st.

10 hours ago, makai 7 said:

Surprised and disappointed that you had such a bad experience on Navigator.

We sailed on her twice last year, once after the refurbishment, and found Navigator to be in good order.

Looking forward to your review; recent reviews on CC don’t mention the serious issues you have raised.

What was the reaction of staff members on board to your complaints about the offensive smell?

Well then I stand corrected.  Guess I didn't calculate the balcony inclusion correctly.

I agree that the Explorer D layout looks very nice.  It helps somehow when the cabins are squarish rather than longish, I find. That's why I find the Voyager PH so nice, despite it not being much bigger than standard--there's less waste space in the hallway.

15 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Surprised and disappointed that you had such a bad experience on Navigator.

We sailed on her twice last year, once after the refurbishment, and found Navigator to be in good order.

Looking forward to your review; recent reviews on CC don’t mention the serious issues you have raised.

What was the reaction of staff members on board to your complaints about the offensive smell?

Sorry, a bit busy right now.  It will be a few more days before I have time to summarize the trip.

I just want to clarify that it was NOT a bad experience overall,  just that the smell was quite detrimental to our enjoyment of other aspects of the cruise.  The interior is in good order.  The exterior is falling apart,  and so are the tenders.

We didn't discuss the odor with senior staff,  it is an issue with their hvac and air intake locations and there is nothing to be done to rectify. 

• Thanks 1

I love the Voyager and the Mariner both. The biggest difference in standard cabin is the size (Mariner little smaller but both a good walkin closet) and Voyager and Navigator both have a good shower and a good bath. On the Mariner or a good shower (take those) or a bad bath.

What I miss on the Navigator is a the bar in front (Observation lounge). We like to sit there with a nice drink round 17:00 - 18:00.