Future Cruise Certificates for cancelled cruises

Hi,

With cruise lines now offering customers with bookings the opportunity to cancel cruises with a full refund given in future cruise certificates in light of the current Coronavirus situation, I'm hoping someone can answer this query.

I have booked a family cruise for Summer 2020 for the Med aboard Anthem OTS as a gift to them. I will be making the full payment for everyone who is going (3 couples).  However, if RCI cancels the cruise (or we decide to cancel) the future cruise certificates will be issued in individual names even though I have paid for the entire cruise. 

If someone in our party who has a future cruise certificate decides they are not coming on our re-booked cruise that means I have lost one hell of a lot of money if I can't use their future cruise certificate because it's in their name (even though I've paid). It just doesn't seem right that I am paying but someone else will be getting the credit.

Maybe I should point out that one of the people going is not family.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks.

Edited by DisneyQueen999

1 minute ago, DisneyQueen999 said:

so do you mean change the name on the booking?

So for instance, if DS is sharing with GF I should change the name on the booking to his name only before I cancel?

Yes, however it may be repriced to current rates. 

Also look at your invoice and see how much cruisefare each person is actually paying. With some sales, the first person on the booking is paying a lot more than the second. So if anyone is not 100% sure they can go in the future, make sure that person is 'paying' the cheaper fare percentage. 

• Like 1

marci22,

I just checked and the non-family member paid only 60% so although I would lose a lot of money, it's a bit less.

The future cruise certificate would probably come to me anyway because I made all the bookings but it would be useless because it's in someone else's name.....so wasted money 😭 

Just now, DisneyQueen999 said:

marci22,

I just checked and the non-family member paid only 60% so although I would lose a lot of money, it's a bit less.

The future cruise certificate would probably come to me anyway because I made all the bookings but it would be useless because it's in someone else's name.....so wasted money 😭 

Can you find another family member and/or friend that might be able to use it and change the second passenger into their name?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DisneyQueen999 said:

You can't really win then 😥

If the room is more expensive does that mean I will have to pay more before I cancel?

I thought I was doing such a nice thing for everyone, but the possible implications aren't worth thinking about.

Yes, if the room is more expensive you would have to pay more. 

Its worth calling and asking about. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tamom said:

I believe if RC cancels they refund the money.  If you cancel a FCC is issued.  Correct me if I’m wrong.

Good point.  Just noticed that this is a med cruise that could very well be cancelled. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

molly361,

I'm just thinking about what could happen (that's me I just worry 😁)

I just read that Celebrity and RCI we offering future cruise certificates to customers who wished to cancel and the thought occurred to me that if we did cancel and DS and GF were no longer together when we re-booked, GF's future cruise certificate would be useless (money down the drain) if no one else could use it because it was in GF's name.

Another question about FCC....We're struggling with what to do for our upcoming cruise this weekend, but I have a question if anyone knows.  We actually used FCC for this cruise that we got during Hurricane Dorian.  So if we cancel this one as per the 48 hr policy, would we get FCC for the amount on our current invoice (which is original price - FCC from Dorian)?  Or would we get that FCC that we applied back, and then get FCC for the actual amount of the cruise before applying it?

For example....say our cruise was $4000 and we got $500 for FCC for Dorian which made our balance $3500 at final payment.  

Would our current FCC for cancelling by 48 hours be $4000 or $3500?

If the latter, it "hurt us" using the FCC and it would now be lost.

1 minute ago, LuCruise said:

Another question about FCC....We're struggling with what to do for our upcoming cruise this weekend, but I have a question if anyone knows.  We actually used FCC for this cruise that we got during Hurricane Dorian.  So if we cancel this one as per the 48 hr policy, would we get FCC for the amount on our current invoice (which is original price - FCC from Dorian)?  Or would we get that FCC that we applied back, and then get FCC for the actual amount of the cruise before applying it?

For example....say our cruise was $4000 and we got $500 for FCC for Dorian which made our balance $3500 at final payment.  

Sorry to say but you lose the initial FCC.  Your new FCC would be $3500

7 minutes ago, DisneyQueen999 said:

Yes molly361,

Not going to do anything yet, plenty of time it's booked for mid August.

As you have not yet reached final payment time you will get all money back if you cancel before the final payment

If you had a non refundable deposit they will issue fcc for deposit except $100 fee pet deposit.  That may change since policies are constantly changing.

We have a b2b booked for mid august and figure we will wait till early may to make our decision.  Hopefully the outlook with virus will be much better then.

3 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Also be careful of the 48 hours as it is 48 hours from 12:01 am the day the ship departs which is really 63 to 65 hours prior to the ship sailing.  

For this cruise that that means you have to call before 12:59 pm on Thursday 

6 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Sorry to say but you lose the initial FCC.  Your new FCC would be $3500

Ken, thanks for the quick response.  That's what I figured as it would be complicated for them to track back the invoices (but I have them all of course).  At least this one was just for our daughter so not a huge amount as we weren't able to use hers for our summer due to KSF.

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Also be careful of the 48 hours as it is 48 hours from 12:01 am the day the ship departs which is really 63 to 65 hours prior to the ship sailing.  

For this cruise that that means you have to call before 12:59 pm on Thursday 

Thank you for clarifying!  When I read it, DH thought it meant 12am on Thursday, but I read it as 12pm on Thursday.

What are you doing?  Are you still going?  We're not sure what to do.  

Edited by LuCruise

Just now, LuCruise said:

Ken, thanks for the quick response.  That's what I figured as it would be complicated for them to track back the invoices (but I have them all of course).  At least this one was just for our daughter so not a huge amount as we weren't able to use hers for our summer due to KSF.

Thank you for clarifying!  When I read it, DH thought it meant 12am on Thursday, but I read it as 12pm on Thursday.

What are you doing?  Are you still going?  We're not sure what to do.  

Unless something changes drastically (meaning if there are issues with it today when she docks) we are going.  I’m more concerned about our cruise to Alaska in July than I am about this one. 

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Unless something changes drastically (meaning if there are issues with it today when she docks) we are going.  I’m more concerned about our cruise to Alaska in July than I am about this one. 

Fingers crossed.  We're watching protocols and all carefully.  DH is also worried of getting home by airline if any quarantine. (I remember you are driving so that's good).   At least with Alaska, you have time to see how things play out.

• Like 1