Traveling with kids, cancelled due to current concerns?

7 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

You can stay home for 14-30 days without leaving?  Impressive.  Kids won't have a problem with school?  Although I guess many schools will just be closed altogether. 

My office in NYC has already put all business travel on hiatus...I have been working from a home office for 5 years with 2 trips a months for a couple days into NYC from MD where I live.  But because of this virus it's been all home all the time for 3 weeks now and for the forseeable future. 

Wife is also setup for full telecommute as needed from her job and the kids, if the schools are closed for some reason in April and/or are asked to stay away for a couple weeks also have full ability to maintain class through virtual setting.

At no point in the history of our country has it been as easy as it is now to weather something like this without disruption for large portions of our society.  Technology is amazing.  And is also the reason I call out that everyone makes their own decisions on this....and name calling groups of people who can make a decision different than yours is not productive (not something you did, someone else did 😉 )

Hell I even put a bidet in a couple years ago and have a filtered well for drinking water.....darn near a zombie compound ;).   I kid....I kid...

Edited by dodgestang

8 hours ago, Redsky5292 said:

We are supposed to sail on the Brilliance out of Tampa on 4/13 with our six year old Twins.  We have some time to cancel so I think we are going to wait and see what happens in the next couple of weeks.  Right now we are leaning towards going as our school districts (hubby and I are both teachers) said that they would not take April break away even if there were closures...

You better double check your County. Most school board counties are telling employees if they travel out of country, they will have to self quarantine for 14 days upon return. 

18 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

These are old numbers from 2 weeks ago (2/29) - they have not been updated as things have been flying so fast.  And they are based almost solely on China's reported numbers.  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Instead, what has been coming out now is that if one family member gets sick, every one in the same house seems to get sick, no matter the age.  How sick is still TBD b/c corona takes a minimum of 2-4 weeks to get through if you get the virus.

Everything I looked up today is almost same, inc US and Italy. Older, Health Issues. Younger ages getting over it sooner or showing minimal symptoms. Whole family getting Flu, been there done that few times. My Daughter/Family all had Flu-B 3 weeks ago... Not making light of it, my older family members staying put. Me, traveling away from home most of yr since 1981. Will be careful as always, as already do more then most on a Cruise anyway...

Edited by ONECRUISER

8 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Hell I even put a bidet in a couple years ago and have a filtered well for drinking water....

Man, you need a comma in there pretty badly or else it won't matter how well the water is filtered 🙂 🙂 🙂

12 hours ago, ashmo8 said:

We are booked on April 5th with two littles- 4 and 7. My biggest risk was quarantine in the room, so I called and upgraded my balcony cabin to an Owners Suite for no additional money. I think we can handle almost 600 sq feet in a quarantine with two kids. Our cabin neighbors may hate us though 🙂

Any particular reason your neighbors would hate you that you can control?

4 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Man, you need a comma in there pretty badly or else it won't matter how well the water is filtered 🙂 🙂 🙂

Pretty sure Oxford Comma rules say I don't need one to say "I have a bidet and well"....although other grammar rules might indicate perhaps a change of order in the list to be more clear 😉  But, the filter does say it removes 100% of dissolved solids.  🙂

Edited by dodgestang
  • Like 1

We canceled our June Oasis cruise.  Not so much because we are afraid of getting Coronavirus.  We are more afraid that 2 people out of the 6,000 onboard will show symptoms and we could end up quarantined and stuck for 2 weeks.  I was also worried if any of us caught a regular old cold right before going, we could end up getting screened and denied boarding.  Lastly, my two kids are on immunosuppressants so probably shouldn't risk it.  I guess that should have been first. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dodgestang said:

I see Viking Cruises has just announced a suspension of operations till May 1.....so this choice ultimately get made for us.

That's another reason I am holding out on rebooking/rescheduling our April 11 cruise. Viking's policy is really doing right by its passengers and hopefully the rest of the industry will follow. You can either cancel for a 100% refund of all monies paid, or get FCC of 125% to be used within the next 24 months (and fully transferable). And if for some reason you end up not being able to use the FCC after the 24 months, it automatically gets refunded to your method of payment. I've never cruised with Viking but that's enough to make me seriously think about taking one of their cruises. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

If you choose to travel with your children, you are a terrible parent.

Schools are closing for crying out loud. ***** is wrong with some of you people?

Wow, calling them a bad parent is uncalled for. They could just as easily take them to to Disneyland and get it there also. I've read people haven't really seen any stepped up cleaning or hand washing stations. Just because a few people got it on Princess and then it spread during their quarantine now a lot of people think cruises should be banned. That's just ignorant. It was how terrible of a job Princess did in quarantining the passangers is what got them all sick. They never should have been made to stay on the ship like that. 

If there were some sick people at Disney and they and all the others were on lockdown you would also see many, many more sick. Authorities and people are having a knee jerk reaction which seems par for the course.

Have you read about people hoarding and fighting over toilet paper? That's really stupid because it's not even a gastrointestinal illness.

This will give you a good laugh.

• Like 2

I'd cancel. Even if I as a traveller was at a lower risk and had less personal chance of death, if I picked it up, I may transmit it to someone who is not at a lower risk. I think a community effort needs to be made to prevent the spread. NBA suspended, many places putting limits on large gatherings. Large cruise ships, or any other similar setting, is only going increase the spread. 

Social distancing needs to be what happens now and we should feel the need to do what we can to stop this from spreading and to help protect those that are in that higher percentage group for complications.  That...and even if it was lower risk for kids, I'd never take even a slight chance with their health, that they'd be the 0.2%. Not worth it to me to even give it a second thought.

We've seen what can happen in a matter of weeks and everywhere is going to be facing what Italy is facing if measures aren't taken now to prevent the spread.

8 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

.......If you think the situation in Italy couldn't possibly happen here in the good old USA, you really need to open your eyes.

It could very possibly happen here, but it doesn't mean it will be because of cruise travel.

10 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Any particular reason your neighbors would hate you that you can control?

If you have met any 4 year old or 7 year old in general...then place then in a cabin for X amount of days without being able to run....its gonna get loud...also obnoxious...there may be a broken lamp or two....JUST SAYING...

Our school has announced that any student with ANY international travel will not be permitted at school within 14 days of that travel. They are also anticipating a closure soon (my guess is Monday). We have a case at the feeder highschool that is currently testing. They shut that school down until Tuesday while they await the results. 

I really needed a cruise too...

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

It could very possibly happen here, but it doesn't mean it will be because of cruise travel.

You're correct. Viking and Princess have suspended operations. The others will follow suit in due time. On their own accord if they want to do the right thing, or forced by the government. One of the two will happen.

Toilet paper is a supply chain issue, not a demand issue. Most paper products come from China. As China has limited their operations, so has the supply been limited. People understand that the supply is limited and therefore they are stockpiling. My kids barely use toilet paper, so I'm good 🤣

I am curious with this travel ban how Royal's workforce will be impacted. Many workers fly in from European countries. If they do not have staff, they will not be able to operate their ships. Most of the areas with restrictions are areas from which they employ. If the government does not force their hand, operationally, it may be forced for them.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Cruises themselves aren't the source of the virus, we all agree on that.  It doesn't conjure out of nothing because you are on a cruise ship. 

But they are dream spots for the virus to spread.  And we are seeing it spread around the country and can conclusively trace to people having debarked cruise ships bringing it to their communities.  

It is about flattening the exponential growth as much as possible because the healthcare system can not handle and is not designed for this kind of thing.  Italy is completely overwhelmed.  This information is from 2 days ago and 2 days right now is an eternity.  Absolutely worth spending a few minutes if you have them, at least 2 or 3 minutes worth to just listen and hear them explain the purpose and goal of restricting travel 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ashmo8 said:

If you have met any 4 year old or 7 year old in general...then place then in a cabin for X amount of days without being able to run....its gonna get loud...also obnoxious...there may be a broken lamp or two....JUST SAYING...

Our school has announced that any student with ANY international travel will not be permitted at school within 14 days of that travel. They are also anticipating a closure soon (my guess is Monday). We have a case at the feeder highschool that is currently testing. They shut that school down until Tuesday while they await the results. 

I really needed a cruise too...

I would not want to be in the cabin next door. If something like that was a constant thing then GS would definitely be called. Who wants to listen to kids that can't be controlled? I understand kids are kids and can get bored easily, but if the parents can't give them enough to do especially in a suite then there's going to be a problem.