Washington State Governor announcement ?

Ptroxx

With the governor of Washington about to ban groups larger than 250 people.  Your thought on upcoming Alaskan cruises.  
Will they be canceled or not?   

Wondering how it will be handled by the cruise lines.  
I know I have a cruise coming up in May outta Seattle on NCL.  

Also now TSA agents in Northern California test positive for C19. 
And the Princesse cruise Line in California 

Thoughts.   

Guess we’ll have to see how it effects some of us.  

5 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

With the governor of Washington about to ban groups larger than 250 people.  Your thought on upcoming Alaskan cruises.  

Thoughts.   

We are scheduled for an Alaskan cruise in May and are planning on going if possible. But with that being said, we also have backup plans to go camping if it winds up getting cancelled. 

10 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Thoughts.   

I have to imagine that if Washington bans cruises, the cruise lines will probably just start sailing out of Vancouver (or possibly Victoria) rather than Seattle.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

I have to imagine that if Washington bans cruises, the cruise lines will probably just start sailing out of Vancouver (or possibly Victoria) rather than Seattle.

Well if they do that they need to do it sooner than later so cruisers can’t make adjustments to their travel plans.    

Cruisers have flights and hotels to rearrange if that’s the case.  

If Seattle does it, I bet the Canadian ports are going to do same.   I'd say that Alaska cruises are going to come to a halt.  Fortunately, the season is still a couple of months away.  Lots can change by then.....good or worse.......

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

When you consider that Hong Kong shut it's cruise port with only 21 confirmed cases and even today they only have 126 cases, I think Seattle's closure is overdue.

Most of the cases in Seattle are out of ONE nursing home.  Unless the Port of Seattle makes a decision, I would not and am not concerned.  This Governor is going to need every dime he can get to balance the state budget including state employee payroll (including his), he can not afford to enforce an outright ban.  Yes, he can suggest but enforce-- I doubt it.

5 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Most of the cases in Seattle are out of ONE nursing home.  Unless the Port of Seattle makes a decision, I would not and am not concerned.  This Governor is going to need every dime he can get to balance the state budget including state employee payroll (including his), he can not afford to enforce an outright ban.  Yes, he can suggest but enforce-- I doubt it.

It started in a nursing home but ts 273 cases now.

11 minutes ago, roger001 said:

If Seattle does it, I bet the Canadian ports are going to do same.   I'd say that Alaska cruises are going to come to a halt.  Fortunately, the season is still a couple of months away.  Lots can change by then.....good or worse.......

I totally agree, a lot can happen in 60 days.  I sure hope it changes for the good.  I booked our May cruise to Alaska over a year ago.

4 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

It started in a nursing home but ts 273 cases now.

Exactly. The nursing home is at the center of it, but how many people in the community have those people possibly infected? Staff members have been out in their communities buying groceries and doing the normal things. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

This Governor is going to need every dime he can get to balance the state budget including state employee payroll (including his), he can not afford to enforce an outright ban.  Yes, he can suggest but enforce-- I doubt it.

But that was the NCL approach back in February.....profits before passenger safety. I certainly hope the governor will not sacrifice the health and safety of the general public in order to keep his budget balanced.

• Like 1

I a

2 minutes ago, Tutontow said:

I totally agree, a lot can happen in 60 days.  I sure hope it changes for the good.  I booked our May cruise to Alaska over a year ago.

I also agree a lot can happen in 60 days.   I really hate to miss my May cruise. Even if I just went in August.  
but I was really looking forward to going this time of the year.  
fingers crossed things change for the good.   

Following.  We have an Alaska cruise but not until end of July on the Jewel, Seward to Vancouver. Hoping we are far enough out things will resolve and stabilize before then. Have no plans to cancel, keepin' fingers crossed. Good luck everyone. Stay safe and healthy! 

listening in now, no word on cruises specifically but they say gatherings of more than 250 people including leisure and recreation which I would assume includes the boarding process at the port.... they say its thru March but he said its highly likely that it will be extended, fingers crossed the port stays open and things get better as we are set to leave out of Seattle in May 

Edited by Matco
added info

2 hours ago, www3traveler said:

It is in 10 nursing homes now.

SEATTLE -- In the wake of an "unprecedented health emergency" in the Puget Sound region, Gov. Jay Inslee announced a ban Wednesday on gatherings and events of more than 250 people in virtually the entire Seattle metro area to try to stop the spread of the COVID-19 outbreak as the region announced a 26th death in connection with the coronavirus.

The ban covers King, Snohomish and Pierce Counties and affects gatherings for "social, spiritual and recreational activities. These include but are not limited to: community, civic, public, leisure, faith-based, or sporting events; parades; concerts; festivals; conventions; fundraisers and similar activities."

"It is clear that our state needs a more vigorous and more comprehensive vision of how we're going to stop the spread of this epidemic," Inslee said. "This is not your ordinary flu. This is a virus that the experts tell us are at least 10 more potentially fatal than the flu and it demands a response consistent with the nature of the threat."

I predict that Washington State West of the Cascades, South of Mt Vernon, and North of Olympia will be under strict travel restrictions within a month. Probably sooner. Just my prediction. 

Edited by elwood_98034

2 hours ago, wampuscat7 said:

Exactly. The nursing home is at the center of it, but how many people in the community have those people possibly infected? Staff members have been out in their communities buying groceries and doing the normal things. 

11 other WA nursing homes have infected. At one of them the Executive Chef is infected.