Viking suspends all operations from March 12-April 30

DrJJ

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

You're missing something important here.  Viking on March 2 announced a new, temporary policy in light of coronavirus specifically to deal with these imminent cruises --- cancel and get a FCV or re-book, without penalty, even though folks were in the 100% penalty period.   People sailing in the very near future acted in reliance on that new policy, which effectively invited people to cancel (or rebook)  these imminent cruises, for obvious reasons.

I do not believe that policy was made to invite folks to cancel (or rebook).   I believe it was made to allow folks to make a decision up until 24 hours before their cruise rather to book or stay.   I believe that policy was issued to encourage folks not to cancel but to wait.  It was issued to relieve some of the tension that was being experienced at what to do with regard to upcoming cruises.   Since I have two cruises booked with Viking this year, that was how I looked at it.   I do not think if I purchased a new car and got a $1000 rebate and then two days after I purchased that car, they started offering $2000 rebates that I would be entitled to an additional $1000.  I made my decision based on what was available to me and considered it an acceptable deal.     Do you think in the case described above that the dealer should offer me to additional $1000?  What if I had purchased the car two months ago?  Would that change your answer?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

Well positioned to accept losses sounds great, but losing two months times nine (?) ships is an enormous number for a privately held firm. One with multiple ships under construction.

There are many factors to consider during this period. If many opt for the vouchers, your money is still invested and other than mortgage and crew costs, the operational costs of fuel, stores, port costs, etc are significantly reduced.

By ceasing operations, it could actually result in smaller losses than operating ships with 300 to 500 pax.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dukefan said:

I do not think if I purchased a new car and got a $1000 rebate and then two days after I purchased that car, they started offering $2000 rebates that I would be entitled to an additional $1000.  I made my decision based on what was available to me and considered it an acceptable deal.     Do you think in the case described above that the dealer should offer me to additional $1000?  What if I had purchased the car two months ago?  Would that change your answer?

We are in the middle of a global pandemic.  Cities, states, entire countries are practically shutting down.  I can't think of anything in my lifetime that is even remotely similar to this, certainly not buying a car.  In this unprecedented crisis, I think as a matter of fairness, everyone should be treated the same.   We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, and hope that we all stay healthy.    

28 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

We are in the middle of a global pandemic.  Cities, states, entire countries are practically shutting down.  I can't think of anything in my lifetime that is even remotely similar to this, certainly not buying a car.  In this unprecedented crisis, I think as a matter of fairness, everyone should be treated the same.   We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, and hope that we all stay healthy.    

Just speaking for myself, I have survived through the following scares.  I am sure I will have forgotten some.  Polio, TB, measles, mumps, SARS, Mers, ebola, like I say, I am sure I have missed some.  Do you really think playing basketball with no spectators is keeping you safe?  Viruses will get around, it's what they do.  People die of stuff every day.  We all have a sell by date.  No one gets out alive.  So, shut down everything and live in fear is the answer?  Give up all you love to do in the name of "safety"?  Take a deep breath folks....

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Just speaking for myself, I have survived through the following scares.  I am sure I will have forgotten some.  Polio, TB, measles, mumps, SARS, Mers, ebola, like I say, I am sure I have missed some.  Do you really think playing basketball with no spectators is keeping you safe?  Viruses will get around, it's what they do.  People die of stuff every day.  We all have a sell by date.  No one gets out alive.  So, shut down everything and live in fear is the answer?  Give up all you love to do in the name of "safety"?  Take a deep breath folks....

While I agree skipping the local assembly of any large group will not keep you safe forever... I think the point is to slow things down and give hospitals a chance to catch up and get enough staff, space, and equipment like respirators on line to handle the need. And if we can stagger admissions a bit rather than all slamming them at once that would also be helpful. 

Edited by Liz Masterson
Oops
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

There are many factors to consider during this period. If many opt for the vouchers, your money is still invested and other than mortgage and crew costs, the operational costs of fuel, stores, port costs, etc are significantly reduced.

By ceasing operations, it could actually result in smaller losses than operating ships with 300 to 500 pax.  

Excellent points.

However, you are trading the 100% cash back (now) for a 25% gain on a future cruise and the opportunity to be a creditor, if things don't work out. 

I hope things work out, and I hope the crews are paid during the interim.

19 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

While I agree skipping the local assembly of any large group will not keep you safe forever... I think the point is to slow things down and give hospitals a chance to catch up and get enough staff, space, and equipment like respirators on line to handle the need. And if we can stagger admissions a bit rather than all slamming them at once that would also be helpful. 

Yes, our hospital system is already stressed.  Our son is in the hospital biz and the things he deals with on the weekends are stunning.  Hospitals are tasked with dealing with many things like car crashes, shootings, cancer, heart attacks but now we panic over a thousand or so cases in a country of 360 million?  Many more dying of heart issues each day.  All I am saying is don't give in to panic.  That is one of the more ugly human responses.  This will pass as have every epidemic throughout history.  I hope some realistic discussion will come of this.  Some serious solutions to the problems humans face on this planet.  

• Like 4

flatten the curve graph

Viking did not cancel out of panic or out of fear of the disease itself but out of second considerations triggered by the rapid spread of the disease: ports closing to cruise traffic, flights being cancelled, the possibility that guests would be stranded, or even worse, quarantined far from home, etc. and other things out of their control.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I was not equating the coronavirus to buying a car.   My point is that if someone chooses to cancel their cruise that they are in a different category than someone who cruise is cancelled by the cruise line.  If you have every purchased cruise insurance they treat folks that choose to cancel their cruise differently than those whose cruises are cancelled by the cruise line.  They are two different categories of people.   I don't believe this is that difficult to understand.  I do agree that everyone in the same category needs to be treated the same and I believe Viking is treating everyone in the same category the same.   There is a third category that we haven't even discussed and that is folks that cancelled prior to the March 2 offer that allowed folks to cancel up to 24 hours before their cruise and receive 100% credit toward a future cruise.   Do you feel folks in this category should also have the credits increased by 25%?  We can agree to disagree but I feel each of these three categories are different.   And I further believe that Viking has treated each of these categories more than fair. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Dukefan said:

I was not equating the coronavirus to buying a car.   My point is that if someone chooses to cancel their cruise that they are in a different category than someone who cruise is cancelled by the cruise line.  If you have every purchased cruise insurance they treat folks that choose to cancel their cruise differently than those whose cruises are cancelled by the cruise line.  They are two different categories of people.   I don't believe this is that difficult to understand.  I do agree that everyone in the same category needs to be treated the same and I believe Viking is treating everyone in the same category the same.   There is a third category that we haven't even discussed and that is folks that cancelled prior to the March 2 offer that allowed folks to cancel up to 24 hours before their cruise and receive 100% credit toward a future cruise.   Do you feel folks in this category should also have the credits increased by 25%?  We can agree to disagree but I feel each of these three categories are different.   And I further believe that Viking has treated each of these categories more than fair. 

Totally agree.

We make decisions based on the information currently available to us and where applicable, on any deals available at the time. If Viking reduced the offer of compensation the next day, I would not expect the terms I agreed to be reduced, likewise, if they increase it the next day, I don't deserve more. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Totally agree.

We make decisions based on the information currently available to us and where applicable, on any deals available at the time. If Viking reduced the offer of compensation the next day, I would not expect the terms I agreed to be reduced, likewise, if they increase it the next day, I don't deserve more. 

So true.

While I would wish to secure the additional 25% credit for my canceled April river cruise, I accept that my choice does not entitle me to that. Since the future cruise credits are only for new bookings, I will choose to take the cash so that I can turn around and give it back to Viking as the final payment due April 28 for our trip this fall. Hoping for all of us that by fall we will not be facing these difficulties.

Totally disagree. If my cancelled cruise was in April and not next week, I probably would have waited. But my doctor insisted that I shouldn’t go so soon. Gee, will it hurt anyone if we who cancelled a few days before got the extra 25% to use towards another cruise? This is a difficult choice for Viking, which is why they’re taking some time to make a decision.

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

Totally disagree. If my cancelled cruise was in April and not next week, I probably would have waited. But my doctor insisted that I shouldn’t go so soon. Gee, will it hurt anyone if we who cancelled a few days before got the extra 25% to use towards another cruise? This is a difficult choice for Viking, which is why they’re taking some time to make a decision.

Would it hurt anyone?   In fact, yes, it could hurt everyone.   I believe Viking, like any good business management team, looked at the current situation, their desire for customer loyalty, their cash flow and their bottom line and make a decision to make the offer that they made to the folks whose cruises they were canceling at the time they were canceling them.  If this offer leaked over to folks that were  not in the category of folks that were not in their evaluation, it could have a negative financial impact and thus ultimately end up hurting every future Viking cruise customer.   

That said, I understand your feeling a little disappointed that if you had waited a few more days you might have gotten a better deal.  But ultimately you made your decision on the offer that was available at that time.   

We personally have two cruises booked on Viking this year.   We have not yet cancelled either one, but to be honest with you, since my wife and I each have some health issues and are in our 70's, we could end up cancelling one or both of these cruises.  The good news is that if we do cancel, we will be able to roll over 100% of the money we have paid Viking for a future cruise, thanks to their more than generous offer they made to all currently booked passengers on March 2nd that allows them to cancel a cruise 24 hours in advance.  If we do cancel I do not expect nor do I believe I should expect more.   Since we booked our air fare ourselves on both these cruises we will experience a loss unless the airlines cancel the flights.     

• Like 2

Dukefan - First of all, as previously stated, the decision was really my doctor's - not mine - so I would have cancelled regardless of the March 2 offer. Viking's decision on the 100-125% policy was based on the immediate need to cancel and respond to those who had cruises still booked between 3/12 and 4/30/20. Those who had just cancelled are the second tier - which why Viking is telling those folks to sit tight. In fact, my Viking agent told me when I canceled it could be a while until I see the voucher. If we're talking "fairness", how is it fair that folks who booked for late April - who had time to wait - get the same treatment as those who had much less time? Out of interest, I've been reading roll calls of VO cruises scheduled to sail in March and April, and I saw several posting saying these folks were ready to cancel, but would wait a couple of weeks to see if the Covid-19 situation improves or Viking cancels and makes a better offer. Viking does not know how many of the 3/12 - 4/30 cancellations will take cash - so their projections are very approximate. Therefore, I believe extending this policy to my group will not hurt the company. Regarding your flights, I feel bad if you get stuck, but honestly, I always felt Viking air was easy to work with and gives an extra layer of "insurance" if issues arise.

we're deciding whether to accept the 125% voucher. the letter from viking says that it will be "fully transferable". does anyone know if fully transferable means transferable to someone else or transferable to a different cruise itinerary? 

also we were told by viking that the voucher could only be used for 1 cruise. so if you book a lower cost cruise and don't spend the full voucher amount they don't carry the balance forward.

2 hours ago, umbrellaman said:

we're deciding whether to accept the 125% voucher. the letter from viking says that it will be "fully transferable". does anyone know if fully transferable means transferable to someone else or transferable to a different cruise itinerary? 

also we were told by viking that the voucher could only be used for 1 cruise. so if you book a lower cost cruise and don't spend the full voucher amount they don't carry the balance forward.

Yes, but is it one voucher for both of you or one voucher per person?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, umbrellaman said:

If it is the same as the FCV we received on the Sun, it is good until day of embarkation, so in addition to the fare, you can also use it for flights, pre-paid gratuities, pre-paid beverage package and when available optional shore excursions.

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

If it is the same as the FCV we received on the Sun, it is good until day of embarkation, so in addition to the fare, you can also use it for flights, pre-paid gratuities, pre-paid beverage package and when available optional shore excursions.

thanks for the helpful info on how you can use the 125% voucher. we're considering taking the voucher and using it for a less expensive cruise. allowing the air tips etc would solve the use it on one trip or lose it issue for us.

still wondering if as they say the voucher is "fully transferable" would that allow us to give the voucher to our children or in the extreme sell the voucher.

I am reading many stories similar to ours:  We were booked on 3/24 Lyons river cruise. After the 3/2 email/offer from Viking we leaned towards cancelling and taking the 100% voucher, which I considered extremely fair given the circumstances. Although I appreciated the offer of waiting until 24 hours before departure to cancel, it didn't seem fair to Viking to wait until the last day. So..... on March 10, I called Viking and following their instructions, sent an email requesting cancellation at around 5pm on March 10!!  We didn't even get a confirm email until after 5pm the next day, which was after they cancelled all cruises and offered the 125% voucher. I didn't receive any notice from Viking about this because we had already cancelled our cruise.  I sent Viking an email today asking if we could be considered for the 125% voucher. If they give it to us I will be thrilled - if not, I guess I can live with that. Either way, we are now unsecured creditors of Viking. 

I can understand the disappointment of those who cancelled before Viking cancelled and offered the 125% credit. Although it would certainly be nice for you if Viking offered the added 25%, you did have one possible advantage. If you cancelled early enough to rebook another cruise, you are ahead of all of those who are madly trying to rebook a cruise and perhaps had better options available and not such a crush of other cruisers demanding attention of Viking staff. Either way, Viking has done an excellent job and provided a generous offer. This did not impact me as my two booked cruises are 9 and 14 months away and I can relax knowing that Viking will take care of me. 

• Like 2