Viking suspends all operations from March 12-April 30

DrJJ

8 hours ago, tomworldwidewaftage said:

When Viking cancelled our April 3, 2020 Sun cruise.

On that day we choose the refund.

Here it is 16 days later and Viking still hasn't "refunded" OUR money to our credit card.

Viking has had OUR money for over a year, and they're still hanging on to it.

Sorry if I am repeating myself here but I figure the delay on refunds is caused by accounting measures/procedures put in place to prevent fraud and embezzlement. Yes, it is a burden on the passengers but in the long run, it is protecting us, as well as the company. The pipeline is flooded at this point and they are saying 21 business days, which is four weeks or more.

Peregrina

You know I usually agree with you but in this case I can’t.  What procedures are needed when tomworldwide has canceled and the refund is going back to him?  While I can believe they are a bit overloaded with processing refunds, it seems to me they could do it quicker than 4 weeks.  

• Like 2

Without knowing how Viking's accounting systems are set up, it can be difficult to estimate a reasonable time for refunds.  But, the sudden cancels on ten thousand + trips will put a strain on any system. Especially one with multiple checks and balances.  Add in various freebies, and it may not be a simple "push one button" decision. But, four weeks seems like a lot of time.

The Raymond F. Kravis center for the performing arts here in West Palm Beach FL canceled its remaining season and a few one off events at government request. My purchase was refunded to the credit card in about four days for the season remainder, and a few days later with the one off event.

2 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

The Raymond F. Kravis center for the performing arts here in West Palm Beach FL canceled its remaining season and a few one off events at government request. My purchase was refunded to the credit card in about four days for the season remainder, and a few days later with the one off event.

Around here the not-for-profit performing arts venues are not automatically refunding. They are giving us choices: 1) FCC -Future Concert Credit 2) Refund and 3) turn the price of the tickets into a tax deductible donation to the theater. 

26 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I have a cruise booked to Norway in June.  Norway ports are closed. Norway has shut its borders. The stay at home order has been extended. I am afraid to leave my house.   Not putting much hope in cruising anytime soon. 

But no word yet from Viking about it being canceled either right?  

14 minutes ago, flashfearless said:

But no word yet from Viking about it being canceled either right?  

no.... it has been weeks since viking contacted us.  with the current situation,  cruising may change.

it's sad, but safe, to be at home. 

Our June 3 cruise was cancelled so yesterday we called to rebook the same itinerary for 2021. 

The agent, Wayne Crabb, was working from home and he was fabulous! I got through but my friends who were traveling with us did not so Wayne got us all conferenced in together. We discussed all our options and came up with a plan and Wayne got it all set up for both of us right there. Fairly painless! 

Thanks Viking! Hang in there! We are confident you can weather this storm!

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2020 at 10:28 AM, tomworldwidewaftage said:

When Viking cancelled our April 3, 2020 Sun cruise.

On that day we choose the refund.

Here it is 16 days later and Viking still hasn't "refunded" OUR money to our credit card.

Viking has had OUR money for over a year, and they're still hanging on to it.

Viking finally refunded our money, they way they did it was with no explanation.

All on the same credit card.

1. $500.00 

2. a week later another $4500.00 

3. a week later another $15,000.00

Hi Tom

I feel posting the same thing 7 times in seven topics is a little over the top.  Some of us like to read what people are experiencing but not multiple times.  

Glad to hear you got your refund.  We await news of our B2B in July.  Unlikely to sail in my opinion but you never know.  

• Like 4

We received a credit on our credit card today reflective of 3/14ths of our cruise fare from our shortened transatlantic on Sky. So from disembarkation to refund was 37 business days (52 calendar). 

Unfortunately they did not include the balance of our refundable onboard credit so I’ve sent another email. 😢

25 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

We received a credit on our credit card today reflective of 3/14ths of our cruise fare from our shortened transatlantic on Sky. So from disembarkation to refund was 37 business days (52 calendar). 

Unfortunately they did not include the balance of our refundable onboard credit so I’ve sent another email. 😢

Hi Clay -- hope you are well. I received the cancelled portion of the cruise last week. In our case it was 15/26ths since we were scheduled on the Mediterranean portion as well. I am still awaiting the refunding of our on board account, the prepaid Viking excursions and pro-rata unused portion of the Silver spirits package. I was told by a Viking Rep., it should be refunded by May25th.

16 minutes ago, flashfearless said:

That's what I would like to know.  I need them to cancel to get my airfare back based on travel insurance.  Both third parties from Viking.

What trip insurance from 3rd party do you have?  Is it cancel for any reason?  

Reason I ask is that we got insurance via InsureMyTrip and our Viking cruise was cancelled, but we cannot get anything back (cruise isn't the issue since Viking gets it back for us).  Our issue is can't get airfare back or Airbnb back.  They say COVID is not covered else all insurance carriers would be out of business.

1 minute ago, CCWineLover said:

What trip insurance from 3rd party do you have?  Is it cancel for any reason?  

Reason I ask is that we got insurance via InsureMyTrip and our Viking cruise was cancelled, but we cannot get anything back (cruise isn't the issue since Viking gets it back for us).  Our issue is can't get airfare back or Airbnb back.  They say COVID is not covered else all insurance carriers would be out of business.

Well, that's exactly why I have been waiting to cancel.  Because I need Viking to cancel so I can get insurance to cover.  Otherwise, I'm looking at an expiring very expensive credit on Delta.  And Viking. 

2 minutes ago, flashfearless said:

Well, that's exactly why I have been waiting to cancel.  Because I need Viking to cancel so I can get insurance to cover.  Otherwise, I'm looking at an expiring very expensive credit on Delta.  And Viking. 

Interesting.

Even though Viking did the cancellation of our June cruise, the insurance company would not cover our air, airbnb, and more - as I said, because they don't cover COVID 19 even if the cruise line is the one who cancelled.

1 minute ago, CCWineLover said:

Interesting.

Even though Viking did the cancellation of our June cruise, the insurance company would not cover our air, airbnb, and more - as I said, because they don't cover COVID 19 even if the cruise line is the one who cancelled.

I'm pretty sure you can appeal that.  Or at least I would.

37 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Interesting.

Obviously, the specific terms of each person's own policy govern with respect to what losses are covered.  But if a cruise line cancels a cruise, I doubt most travel insurance policies would pay for other losses (e.g., hotels, airfare), because those losses were the result of the cruise line's cancellation.  They would expect the cruise line to cover those losses.   Again, you need to look at your own policy and see what things trigger payment for a cancelled trip.   E.g., your own illness, a hurricane causing cessation of air travel, etc.   It's usually NOT the cancellation of the trip by the travel provider. 

19 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Obviously, the specific terms of each person's own policy govern with respect to what losses are covered.  But if a cruise line cancels a cruise, I doubt most travel insurance policies would pay for other losses (e.g., hotels, airfare), because those losses were the result of the cruise line's cancellation.  They would expect the cruise line to cover those losses.   Again, you need to look at your own policy and see what things trigger payment for a cancelled trip.   E.g., your own illness, a hurricane causing cessation of air travel, etc.   It's usually NOT the cancellation of the trip by the travel provider. 

Yes - I fully agree with you and that is what I had always understood.

And that is why I have been somewhat surprised to read on cruise critic several posts whereby people are having their insurance (not cancel for any reason) cover their other costs than the cruise when Viking cancels.   After hearing these,  I thought and hoped perhaps I had missed something.   But yes, each policy is specific but every policy I have examined has the same restrictions on non-payout for terrorism and pandemics.