Viking suspends all operations from March 12-April 30

DrJJ

4 minutes ago, old biddy said:

Silly question, what happens when you are miles from anywhere in the middle of the ocean on March 12th  I.e. today? Jump and swim? (Sorry being very juvenile!)

Will be interesting to see how this concludes, but definitely the right thing to do. Hats off to Viking. 

Roll on our Eastern Seaboard Exploreer in September.

Aboard the Viking Sun, we are literally in the middle of the Ocean, the Indian to be specific.

The announcement today indicated that no more cruises will be embarked until May 1st. We were summonsed to the Theatre at Noon today and shown the film from Viking Chairman Mr Hagen. Viking had already cancelled any pax from joining this ship before London, so today's announcement doesn't affect us.

We keep sailing trying to find ports that will accept us alongside.

• Like 2

It was you I was thinking about. I have been following the world cruise thread since day 1. Sort of green with envy, but equally after 28days on board I'm ready to return to the real world, sadly.

So do I take it you are continuing to London as planned?

I really think Viking have decided on the honourable thing to do.

I wonder what they will do with the on board staff. Return them to their home countries? Let them live on board? Will they still get paid? I hope Viking does the right thing for them 

3 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Wow. How can Viking, as a business, continue while offering such generous terms? I really hope they can. They really deserve customer loyalty after this. 

How much loss can Viking afford to absorb? What good is a 24 month 125% FCC if they become insolvent? I would take the cash and run unless your travel insurance covers you if Viking becomes insolvent or permanently suspends operations. Our travel insurance does cover us for this possibility. We are not canceling our September cruise yet, but we have some big decisions to make over the next few months. I hope the summer months tampers down this virus threat. I agree and impressed that Viking is doing the correct thing here, I do not want to see them going out of business.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

How much loss can Viking afford to absorb? What good is a 24 month 125% FCC if they become insolvent? I would take the cash and run unless your travel insurance covers you if Viking becomes insolvent or permanently suspends operations. We are not canceling our September cruise yet, but we have some bog decisions to make over the next few months. I hope the summer months tampers down this virus threat.

As always on this thread, this is the unpopular question but i think this latest move goes a long way to bring that prospect into reality.  Are they on the verge of going bust?  I doubt it, but as I and others have said in other threads there's  no way that the bottom line absorbs so much loss, refunds, FCC, etc. without showing cracks.  Speculation abounds as to the influence of the Chinese investors and i'm sure those others who own percentage of the company are not too pleased at the thought of the numbers going in the wrong direction!  

I'm not too convinced either that the summer months will magically make this virus disappear as it seems to be thriving in warm climates in SE Asia so unless things change rapidly this could be a long term hurt on not only Viking but the entire industry.

3 hours ago, old biddy said:

It was you I was thinking about. I have been following the world cruise thread since day 1. Sort of green with envy, but equally after 28days on board I'm ready to return to the real world, sadly.

So do I take it you are continuing to London as planned?

I really think Viking have decided on the honourable thing to do.

Most definitely, we are staying to London. This ship, with our protective bubble, that Viking created by not letting any new pax board, is one of the safest places on earth, at present.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wish Viking could stay. the 28 day tour was most likely very relaxing. I heard people did really enjoy it. I also wonder how do people will get back home from London. Last time we decided to spend some more time there we dound ourselves with absilutely nothing to do. We spent extra cash and just got back home completely broke. I wish we had the same day flight back to the US but again, you never know and missing a plane does not sound like a good idea

My sister and brother-in-law are currently on the Viking Star in Norway. The ship is turning around and they will be flying out of London on Saturday. Viking has made all their travel arrangements. She said the mood on board is one of relief.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jrkstl said:

We just yesterday postponed our April 18 Trade Routes cruise and moved it to the Oct 2020 reverse sailing. Very glad that we are settled with a new date, but darn it that 25% would come in handy to help cover the cost of the longer pre-cruise we booked. The two Oslo-Bergen 2 day trips were sold out, so we opted for the four day version. Still haven’t gotten the bill yet for the extra fees, so maybe we’ll get lucky? Doubt it, but good on Viking for doing the right thing! 

We cancelled our March 25 Mediterranean Odyssey yesterday and accepted the 100% No Risk Voucher. If we waited 24 hours, we would have received a full refund or 125% voucher. How will Viking handle those of us who prudently decided not to risk the virus or being quarantined? My guess is we're out of luck. We wish we had waited that extra day.

Edited by Rose & Jim

5 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

The Viking Sky. Transatlantic to Barcelona, is headed back to Miami.

Sky Transatlantic March 6 2020 Almost Live

It’s better than being shoved overboard!

interestingly, hardly anyone at the guest services desk...other than the red sweaters ones waiting to help someone. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

It’s better than being shoved overboard!

interestingly, hardly anyone at the guest services desk...other than the red sweaters ones waiting to help someone. 

Well Clay... now I’m wondering if your new floors will be installed before you arrive back to that new Condo! 

Last Saturday we called and then wrote an email to cancel our July Viking Ocean cruise.  I was told twice, on Saturday and yesterday that we would be charged $200 which would be refunded, and the rest would be refunded to our credit card.  I hope they will be honoring their offer.  It actually worked out very well for us since I have developed foot problems.  Has anyone else heard about the refund? 

I just contacted Viking customer relations... they indicated that scenarios such as ours, where we cancelled a couple of weeks ago, ahead of Vikings announcement last nite are under review.  One would hope that they would step up and offer vouchers to make up the difference to match the 125% offer. They are slammed right now....

One would hope that they would be respectful of loyal Viking customers and give us consideration.

Also the Viking Co. in not publically traded and have indicated that they are well positioned to absorb losses and to not have to answer to share-holders... Stay tuned!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dascruiseguy said:

Also the Viking Co. in not publically traded and have indicated that they are well positioned to absorb losses and to not have to answer to share-holders... Stay tuned!

They might not be publicly traded, but they have investors as clearly stated in the Forbes article, "He (Hagen) is borrowing cash furiously (the company’s debt is $2.5 billion) to build more ships, and has also raised equity capitafrom the Canadian pension board and the U.S. private equity firm TPG."

And lets not forget that the ships are being built in Italy, which as we know is hardest hit outside of Asia and Iran...

18 minutes ago, Dascruiseguy said:

I just contacted Viking customer relations... they indicated that scenarios such as ours, where we cancelled a couple of weeks ago, ahead of Vikings announcement last nite are under review.  One would hope that they would step up and offer vouchers to make up the difference to match the 125% offer. They are slammed right now....

We are in a similar boat, so to speak ,except that we have already re-booked.  We had a Viking river cruise sailing out of Amsterdam in several weeks.  It was becoming clearer and clear with each passing day that it would be imprudent for us (as seniors, and given not just the risks of illness overseas but of quarantine) to take that trip now. So the other day, we re-booked for next year, pursuant to their temporary policy allowing us to do so without penalty and getting the the full 100% credit for our current booking.  When I called this morning, I was told what you were told, with a little more detail.  Basically, they are so swamped right now that they did not even make a decision last night about those in our situation, but need to turn all their attention right now to dealing with their cancelled sailings -- River and Ocean -- and the folks who are on those.  They expect the "dust to settle" in two weeks, in which time they will review our cases.

• Like 1

Similar (but different) situation for us. We were booked on the 3/10 Northern Lights trip (so outside of the suspension period by 2 days), cancelled a few days before and got the 100% voucher which we flipped to the 2021 same cruise/date. We still had $600 out-of-pocket because a certain discount wasn't honored on the new cruise. Not optimistic, but hoping Viking makes up for that with the 125% credit, or at least refunding our new out-of-pocket expense.

It is not unreasonable for Viking to treat folks that cancel on their own differently than they treat the folks that they cancelled.   In the first case you made a decision that you felt was best for you with a complete understanding of the deal you were receiving.  In the second case, your cruise was cancelled and you therefore had no choice.    That said, it will be interesting to see what Viking does since they have a history of doing more than is required.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

It is not unreasonable for Viking to treat folks that cancel on their own differently than they treat the folks that they cancelled.   In the first case you made a decision that you felt was best for you with a complete understanding of the deal you were receiving. 

You're missing something important here.  Viking on March 2 announced a new, temporary policy in light of coronavirus specifically to deal with these imminent cruises --- cancel and get a FCV or re-book, without penalty, even though folks were in the 100% penalty period.   People sailing in the very near future acted in reliance on that new policy, which effectively invited people to cancel (or rebook)  these imminent cruises, for obvious reasons.

With a now canceled river cruise next month, an ocean cruise in October, and another river cruise the following fall, I guess it is obvious that we are loyal Viking customers. I have been very impressed with their attempt to stay ahead of things related to this virus in a thoughtful and generous way. There is no way to predict the future here, but I am willing to gamble a certain portion of our travel budget on my hopes that Viking will come through this intact.

Without really wanting to complain, I would greatly appreciate it if the vouchers (even just at 100% of monies paid) could be used to pay balances on existing bookings. As it stands, I think we will need to take the cash from the canceled river cruise and turn it right back over to Viking for the payment on our ocean cruise due April 28. I am very willing to count on Viking's sound judgement going forward, but only up to a point. While I would love the extra 25% bonus, I am not willing to tie that much money up in a future new booking while we already have two cruises under deposit. I do trust that Vking is trying to do their best for their customers, while keeping things financially sound at the same time. As always, God Job, Viking. Can't wait to be back on board soon.

• Like 1