LATEST Carnival stance per John Healf

Eli_6

Honestly I find it incredible that every other post on CC for the last two weeks was complaining that cruise companies weren't doing enough to help passengers who want to cancel etc. Carnival implement what seem to be very sensible precautions under the current circumstances and get hammered for taking away people's right to cruise. Unbelievable

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, milamber said:

Honestly I find it incredible that every other post on CC for the last two weeks was complaining that cruise companies weren't doing enough to help passengers who want to cancel etc. Carnival implement what seem to be very sensible precautions under the current circumstances and get hammered for taking away people's right to cruise. Unbelievable

When it hits close to home, it hurts more.  Nothing is easy. 

• Like 1

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

I certainly understand all frustrations, I have them as well. Things are really dynamic now and is changing hourly. They are really trying their very best for everyone.  The 70 did not originate with them. 

I agree with you, they really are working with it the best they can.  I remained optimistic and calm until I heard about the over-70 letter last night (on NCL).  How many doctors will be willing to accept the liability of signing that form, and how is it even possible to count on getting an appointment within the seven days prior to a cruise?  This one seems insurmountable, and the uncertainty has contributed to my current unhappiness.  And I know I am not alone.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

The post from John Heald says he will answer further questions on Saturday.  All of us with cruises after the 16th & before Sept are in a holding pattern.  What a mess.

I think they are taking immediate action for those, and buying 3 days to figure out how to handle future cruises. The government can change the rules at any minute.  We are cruising in April, and likely moving it. I'm going to wait until Monday to see their updated policies and FCC offers.

• Like 2

My husband and I are supposed to sail out of Charleston on March 16 and I am 70 plus I have controlled diabetes ( I Don’t need insulin). So, does all this mean that even if my doctor writes that I am in good health I can’t sail? This will be the third cruise I have had cancelled by Carnival in the past six months. We were scheduled on the inaugural cruise   of the Mardi Graw and the TA on it. Now we are losing this cruise, too !! The days from this would have allowed us to become platinum on our Legend TA in June, if that cruise even goes through. Now we won’t make platinum.

So sad. We were still willing to cruise and were all packed for this weekend. Now because of this fairly wide net, no cruise for us. It is probably for the best, but still hard.

We submitted the form and did a refund request, but no confirmation email yet. Anyone get anything confirming yet?

For those wondering why the refund - we already have our next cruise booked and due to the early bird deal and CDN dollar tanking, rebooking doesn’t make sense. 

• Like 1

Let me explain why you probably have not gotten a letter: This was on John Heald's Facebook page. I screen captured it and posted it here.  It had only been posted about 15 minutes when I posted it here.

And he was saying (in response to someone who asked in the comments) it applied to both type 1 and 2 diabetes of all ages. I, too, thought that was a little extreme as a lot of people have type 2 diabetes controlled by diet.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, teacher34 said:

My husband and I are supposed to sail out of Charleston on March 16 and I am 70 plus I have controlled diabetes ( I Don’t need insulin). So, does all this mean that even if my doctor writes that I am in good health I can’t sail? This will be the third cruise I have had cancelled by Carnival in the past six months. We were scheduled on the inaugural cruise   of the Mardi Graw and the TA on it. Now we are losing this cruise, too !! The days from this would have allowed us to become platinum on our Legend TA in June, if that cruise even goes through. Now we won’t make platinum.

My understanding is that they won't let you cruise even with a doctor's note...assuming they know you have diabetes.

I feel your pain.  My July Vista cruise was canceled due to it going into dry dock at the last minute.  Then, we were on the canceled Mardis Gras TA.  Now we are on the June Legend out of Dover to Norway, but now most of the Norway ports are closed to cruise passengers.  Who knows if it will go forward.  

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I agree with you, they really are working with it the best they can.  I remained optimistic and calm until I heard about the over-70 letter last night (on NCL).  How many doctors will be willing to accept the liability of signing that form, and how is it even possible to count on getting an appointment within the seven days prior to a cruise?  This one seems insurmountable, and the uncertainty has contributed to my current unhappiness.  And I know I am not alone.

These are also my frustrations and it goes beyond the upcoming cruise.  

3 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

This describes me but I have no notion how Carnival will want it phrased in a Fit to Sail letter.  Have a condition?  Is it well controlled? 

Here is the suggested format of the letter from RCCL.  I would have thought that CLIA would have created a standard format that all of their members could use.

image.thumb.png.2a8f1af6138b28eb0c35ec52f77a9ca5.png

3 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

This describes me but I have no notion how Carnival will want it phrased in a Fit to Sail letter.  Have a condition?  Is it well controlled? 

If they don't ask the second question it looks to be an automatic denial.

Right now too many unknowns and too little time to think clearly.

I know it's a third world problem but that doesn't make me any less disappointed.

Do not consider Italy or South Korea a "third world country". 

According to the American Diabetes Society, 10.5% of Americans have diabetes.

Oh, and according to the American Heart Association, almost half of Americans have heart disease of some type: https://www.heart.org/en/news/2019/01/31/cardiovascular-diseases-affect-nearly-half-of-american-adults-statistics-show

Edited by rabidstoat
Added heart disease info, changed link directly to heart.org study
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Banditswife said:

The post from John Heald says he will answer further questions on Saturday.  All of us with cruises after the 16th & before Sept are in a holding pattern.  What a mess.

We sail on the 21st and my DW has one of the issues that would prevent us from boarding. She's in pretty decent health and her condition is controlled by meds and very rarely gives her a problem. She feels horrible about this and even tried convincing me to cruise without her. I told her that's not happening and we'd wait until after the 16th and see where Carnival goes from there. I'm hoping that maybe for cruises after the 16th they'll agree to accept a doctor's note as hers has already given her the green light to go. 

• Like 1