Prepaid items - would you cancel on website or wait for full refund

unixfairy

Hi all - thanks for support during these challenging events!

My May 2 Mexico cruise on the Royal Princess was canceled. So due to not knowing another date and the small $$ value between option 1 and option 2, we are choosing the refund. I have prepaid drink packages, spa, gratuities, excursions AND dinner reservations.

Would you cancel those through the website to make sure those refunds process as well or will it all be refunded.  I was not seeing that in the notice. If I missed it just be gentle.  It has been a long dang week.

Regards,

L

I was wondering about that. Thanks for the tip about cancelling online. I hadn't thought of that, but it seemed to work. I already filled in the form for the cruise refund but it didn't say anything about gratuities and excursions.

Sadly, when I logged in, I noticed we had been upgraded from an inside to a balcony. Now I'm really sad.😪

I cancelled it all separately before phoning them last Sunday,  all refunded now and back on the card.

The lady I spoke to on the phone said it was totally fine to do that and did not matter either way so if you are just using the online form there is nothing stopping you managing your extras separately to get it processed automatically.

I cancelled all of our shore excursions, prepaid OBC, and prepaid coffee cards on our Personalizers. Then after those refunds posted (was only like 2 business days) I called in to cancel the cruise itself. Was easier to track all of the refunds that way. 

On 3/12/2020 at 8:16 PM, Thrak said:

Read the Princess document linked below. It should answer most people's questions.

https://www.princess.com/news/pdfs/voluntary-60-day-pause-of-global-ship-operations.pdf

Newer version

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/temporary-cancellation-policy.html

I think I just messed up, had a paid excursion on my cruise personalizer that was cancelled, went into my personalizer and pressed cancel thinking it would take me to another page and it didn't it just went away.    Hope I get a refund on it.   How did it work for other people who cancelled their prepaid excursions on Princess website???

44 minutes ago, mrsihopes said:

I think I just messed up, had a paid excursion on my cruise personalizer that was cancelled, went into my personalizer and pressed cancel thinking it would take me to another page and it didn't it just went away.    Hope I get a refund on it.   How did it work for other people who cancelled their prepaid excursions on Princess website???

Don't worry,  I did this on all my excursions and they came back automatically to the original card in 2 days 🙂

34 minutes ago, Sparklies said:

Don't worry,  I did this on all my excursions and they came back automatically to the original card in 2 days 🙂

Thank you did not get an email or anything about cancellation, just disappeared.    Hope it will show up as a credit on my CC

On 3/14/2020 at 3:24 AM, rocklinmom said:

I cancelled all of our shore excursions, prepaid OBC, and prepaid coffee cards on our Personalizers. Then after those refunds posted (was only like 2 business days) I called in to cancel the cruise itself. Was easier to track all of the refunds that way. 

Same here, I preferred keeping track of what the money was for that came back to my bank account.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mrsihopes said:

Thank you did not get an email or anything about cancellation, just disappeared.    Hope it will show up as a credit on my CC

Yes don't worry, I do this all the time.  If you hit the red "cancel" button for your shore excursions and they disappeared from your travel summary, they are cancelled and you will get the refund to your credit card in 3-5 business days (depends on your bank). No cancellation email is sent. 

26 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

Yes don't worry, I do this all the time.  If you hit the red "cancel" button for your shore excursions and they disappeared from your travel summary, they are cancelled and you will get the refund to your credit card in 3-5 business days (depends on your bank). No cancellation email is sent. 

I agree, this is the way it went for some family as well. Thanks.

48 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

So I used princess gift cards for all of our excursions, will they just be returned on a princess gift card then?

7 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

So I used princess gift cards for all of our excursions, will they just be returned on a princess gift card then?

Hmmm I have never used their gift cards so not sure. But I would think they would be refunded the same way. That could be a bit trickier. Are you able to check the balance of those gift cards somewhere? So you could watch for the refunds?