CPAP

cruisinvic2

• 1 year later...

Directly from Carnival's website...

CPAP MACHINES
Carnival permits guest who use BIPAP, CPAP, Concentrator, and Nebulizers onboard.

You must bring your own equipment on board for personal use. Please hand-carry these items and do not place them in your checked luggage. There is one electrical outlet in each stateroom located in the area of the desk/vanity. The outlet is equipped with a 3-prong 110 volt (North America Grounded) and a 220 volt (Europe German-Style).  It is recommended that you bring your own extension cord to accommodate your equipment comfortably.

Carnival carries distilled water which can be purchased either pre-cruise or once on board. For pre-purchase, please contact our Fun Shops department at 1-800-522-7648 Ext. 70039, Monday-Sunday from 9:00am-9:00pm ET. For purchase on board, please contact Room Service. Should you wish to bring your own distilled water with you, it must be hand carried along with your CPAP machine.

If traveling by air, please check with the airline directly for their restrictions regarding traveling with medical equipment.

Bring your own extension cord - one of those cheep 15 foot ones from Walmart, and a small roll of duct tape to tape it across the floor to eliminate the tripping hazard and having to reset it all every night. The outlet is always across from the bed...

Also, when you get a new humidifier chamber, keep the old one and bring that. Use the water from the sink for the trip, then toss the old humidifier chamber when you get home.

• Like 2

Carnival is/was confused about a CPAC.  On our 14 day cruise out of Port Canaveral, Nov. 2019, they pulled us over at check in and asked about her Machine.  We explained that all it does is provide a positive pressure so you dont stop breathing while sleeping. They asked about oxygen bottles. We showed them the machine, said it didnt have oxygen bottles and they were happy.  When we got to the room, there was a letter stating that we had to store the oxygen bottles in medical.  Someone at Carnival is/was misinformed as to what a CPAC did and consisted of.  Very strange for a large company.

On 3/13/2020 at 11:20 AM, CAnative1 said:

This would be interesting to hear from people trying to board and their experience. I never even thought of the whole CPAP thing, and I use one. 

I have a ResMed, fairly compact.  Carrying case with med id tag.  Gets through TSA and skirts carryon restrictions.  No issues at cruise line check ins. Just get the purified water from the ship.  Even the stuff out of the faucet can work in a pinch.  Plugs right in.  I talked to a guy with a travel CPAP on board one time.  since no water and smaller it was a snap for him.

Edited by crewsweeper

I always bring my CPAP machine onboard as carry-on, with no issues ever. I always email access@carnival.com ahead of time and request an extension cord, and very nicely ask that they please tape it down. It makes it a lot easier for both the stateroom host and me so we don't trip over it, and since I know it's the stateroom host who ends up doing it I always leave a thank you note and tip upfront or give he/she a tip upfront in person to thank them for doing so. I also bring my own extension cord just in case, but theirs are industrial and I prefer those.

I used to hassle with getting distilled water, but after a couple of times of ordering it ahead of time then having to call to request it being delivered and having to wait around for it (they wouldn't just leave it in the room, for some reason) I quit bothering with it. Asked my doc and he said a week of ship water from the tap wasn't going to hurt anything, so now I just use that. 🙂 

In their emails, Carnival always has this:

We have a limited supply of extension cords onboard. They are available for medical use only, and on a first come first serve basis. All vessels carry 110V 15 Ft molded connector type extension cords. Please see Guest Services once onboard to obtain an extension cord or if you prefer, you may bring your own.

Carnival Cruise Line carries distilled water and can be purchased either pre-cruise or once onboard. For pre-purchase, please contact our Fun Shops department at 1-800-522-7648 Ext. 70039 Monday-Sunday from 8AM-10PM EST. For purchase onboard, please contact Housekeeping. The cost is approximately $3.00 a gallon. Should you wish to bring your own distilled water with you, it must be hand carried along with your CPAP machine.

Bring a LONG extension cord.... I have a 15 foot cord.  You will only have ONE AC outlet, and it will not be where you want it.  Depending upon what type of cabin you have, and where the bed is located, a 12-15 foot cord is going to be required

Never had one problem!  In fact, last cruise, Carnival provided me with a super duper extension cord because it was on my profile that I use one.

Pro Tip: Bring your own cheap extension cord anyway.  Not a surge protector, though, because that's bad for the ship's electrical system and you really don't want a fire (or to get it confiscated).