Where do the Ships Go?

TBurr

On March 14 I read that most cruise lines are stopping all sailings for some 30-60. days, some as recent as today. Once passengers get off the ship and since no new ones are boarding, where will those ships stay for the 30+ days? Not all can remain docked. Will some just go out and sail around?

There are many thousands of cargo piers around the world where a cruise ship can tie up, receive necessary services (power, water bunkering, fuel bunkering, garbage removal, grey and black water removal, provision loading, port security) at reasonable prices. When cruise ships are laid up for whatever reason, this is what usually happens.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I think the OP was asking about while the ships are idled for the next 30 days...

Yes....the Oosterdam will remain off Mexico and Ensenada.

The Royal Princess is also now currently offshore of Mexico, just off Tijuana, doing less than a knot.   

There are 2 Carnival ships, 2 Disney, Norwegian and 2 RCL " parked" at Port Canaveral.  I can see them from my house. 

There is a cruise parking lot near me ( in front of the Doubletree Hotel) that emptied out this morning. 

Just off the Koningsdam , sitting at airport after 21 days cruise. The K’dam will continue on to South America to reposition. With no pax. This is from the Capt. Crew members were told they could go home or stay on the ship. They were given the choice after Captain had a late night meeting with them to inform them of all the changes. I shared a few tears with some crew members who were surprised with this decision . Some crew we talked to will be leaving as their contract is close to ending. Others are concerned because of their personal obligations. To say this is an easy time for all is an understatement . I can’t speak highly enough about how this whole thing was handled by the whole crew and staff. Amazing.. we were assured we were a healthy ship and everyone was doing their part so it remained so, pax and crew. 

7 hours ago, dockman said:

The zaandam is terminating their antarctica cruise in santiago on march 21 rather than continue to FLL.  Passengers are being flown out from Chile.  No word as to where the ship will go.

update:  chile is refusing to allow them to dock today, sunday.  Not sure what's next

• Like 1