ECLIPSE DENIED BY SANTIAGO PORT

Beachin2

31 minutes ago, jmk22 said:

Celebrity has told everyone they will be making arrangements for everyone's flight back home once we reach San Diego so people do not need to panic about scheduling flights.

Do you know if they're arranging individual flights or if it'll be group charter flights to regional spots?

53 minutes ago, El turista said:

Captain just said that provisions are in San Antonio awaiting customs clearance and they should be taken to the ship via barges tomorrow. The medication list was given to the port agent which is making arrangements to get them to bring them tomorrow aboard.

Update: The provisions made it to the pier in Valparaiso so there's a strong chance they will be transferred to the ship starting tonight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jmk22 said:

So far, can't say enough good things about Celebrity. Captain, crew and everyone has been extremely nice and helpful working through such an unprecedented situation. Alejandro, the cruise director, and the entertainers on board have planned entertainment for the next 10 days almost overnight. The staff and crew are doing everything possible to keep everyone happy.  Celebrity has told everyone they will be making arrangements for everyone's flight back home once we reach San Diego so people do not need to panic about scheduling flights. 

So everyone on the ship is healthy, free meals, internet, drinks, entertainment and good sunny weather. Not that anyone planned for this but since there is no quarantine and you have ability to roam the ship at will, it's not a bad gig.  

Alejandro and Captain Leo. What a great combination. They really know how to play off of one another. We cruised with the on Eclipse a few years ago on a Southern Caribbean. Our favorite combination of Captain and CD. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El turista said:

Captain just said that provisions are in San Antonio awaiting customs clearance and they should be taken to the ship via barges tomorrow. The medication list was given to the port agent which is making arrangements to get them to bring them tomorrow aboard.

Here's your ship pic for the afternoon! Great weather and dangit Valparaiso is so beautiful  ..  if you could only see it.  This was from the Azmara!

Eclipse this afternoon..jpg

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

Alejandro and Captain Leo. What a great combination. They really know how to play off of one another. We cruised with the on Eclipse a few years ago on a Southern Caribbean. Our favorite combination of Captain and CD. 

Agreed! I love them together!
"Ale-handsome"
"My grandfather would say to me, 'Leo...'"
"Life is beautiful!"
And I LOVE Alejandro's self-deprecating laugh!

15 hours ago, El turista said:

Do you know if they're arranging individual flights or if it'll be group charter flights to regional spots?

With the rate airlines are grounding their fleet, I'd wager charters to gateway cities.  Much can change in the 10 days between here and SDO though. (10 days from when we actually leave, that is).

13 hours ago, RICCruisers said:

Absolutely!  The best 2 you could ever hope for! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update: Captain said provisions are still being taken aboard. Half of the containers from San Antonio should arrive in the afternoon and loading should continue into the evening. Captain expects to depart tomorrow morning to San Diego. A departure time will be given in an announcement later today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Question for my fellow cruisers NOW aboard the Eclipse or those who may know FOR SURE.  Went down to GS this afternoon and requested to reinstate the normal automatic gratuities for the crew who have been busting their butts for us.  Was told they have "extra tips" forms, but Celebrity was going to pay them their normal gratuity rate for this extended cruise.

Somehow this just doesn't seem credible.  Thoughts from the hive?  Hate to just stir the pot by asking crew.  Extraordinary situation for sure.

2 minutes ago, Gimpy McFarlan said:

If you don’t trust what GS said then ask the Cruise Director. He is having an open QA session tomorrow in the Eclipse Theater at 11:15am.

When have you ever trusted the first answer you got from either GS or their phone reps?

The automatic gratuity question is not clear cut. Everyone on board is an unpaid hostage to Chile. It's an emergency cruise and there is a significant alteration in conditions.

We had prepaid gratuities on the cruise which was included in the refund. Since Celebrity refunded the cruise fare, they also refunded the included prepaid gratuity perk. So the prepaid gratuities become the responsibility of Celebrity. The "free" Internet perk has been extended to everyone which causes a major slowdown, but since the perk has been refunded we can't complain. The Beverage Package perk has also been extended to everyone. The 4th perk is $300 OBC which has been converted into a "free" cruise (albeit with no ports).

So the extra tips issue is the same as on the BA-SCL cruise. We gave cash tips on top of the prepaid gratuities and will do so again.

1 hour ago, acesneights99 said:

Chile is suspending cruise ship docking until September!

They might as well ban cruise ships forever.

Buenos Aires - Santiago may be replaced by Buenos Aires - Antarctica and Chilean Fjords and back to BA. 

The cruises that I am aware of that stop in Chile are during the months of October through early April.  As such, there might not be many cruises scheduled to go to Chile until after September.

2 hours ago, Beachin2 said:

Question for my fellow cruisers NOW aboard the Eclipse or those who may know FOR SURE.  Went down to GS this afternoon and requested to reinstate the normal automatic gratuities for the crew who have been busting their butts for us.  Was told they have "extra tips" forms, but Celebrity was going to pay them their normal gratuity rate for this extended cruise.

Somehow this just doesn't seem credible.  Thoughts from the hive?  Hate to just stir the pot by asking crew.  Extraordinary situation for sure.

We have met and are in touch with a number of current and former crew and to a person they say they were/are well taken care of by Celebrity.  So I would believe that they will receive the normal gratuities. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acesneights99 said:

Chile is suspending cruise ship docking until September!

They might as well ban cruise ships forever.

Buenos Aires - Santiago may be replaced by Buenos Aires - Antarctica and Chilean Fjords and back to BA. 

They are heading into their fall and winter; there aren't any cruises at that time of year that I'm aware of.

9 hours ago, jelayne said:

We have met and are in touch with a number of current and former crew and to a person they say they were/are well taken care of by Celebrity.  So I would believe that they will receive the normal gratuities. 

Unless we hear different, will go with that.

The snide comment about turning this into a tipping thread was over the top, hope you sufficiently amused yourself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beachin2 said:

Unless we hear different, will go with that.

The snide comment about turning this into a tipping thread was over the top, hope you sufficiently amused yourself.

With all of the tipping threads that have been started and debated in the past, I can see where that comment came from...purely in jest, I'm sure...but agree it really didn't have a place in this thread.

On another note, I feel like the crew are lucky to have passengers like you who are concerned about their well being during this time.  I hope the sentiment is rampant among all the other guests as well.

So glad to hear that spirits remain high.  Thank you for the continued updates.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Beachin2 said:

My comment was entirely in jest.  Hence the smiley emoji.  The fact of the matter is, my mother is aboard this ship, and I was scheduled to board in San Antonio. 

I realize your question was entirely legitimate, and I appreciate your concern for the crew.  I really was just poking fun at Cruise Critic generally, and certainly not you in particular.

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv
  • Like 6