Curious about crew during no passengers?

h-sar

I am wondering if any of the crew are coming down with CoVid-19.  I'm sure some of them will get it based on the statistics. I wonder if we will hear about these cases and if they will have to transport those with severe cases to a hospital?  

On 3/17/2020 at 12:12 PM, drsel said:

$618 tax-free per month with free boarding and lodging is much much less than what they are normally used to.

But more than what they would earn doing the same work in their own countries

Who said this was tax free?  I know for a fact that Indonesia and the Philippines, as examples, tax income regardless of where earned.

2 hours ago, Kate P.C said:

That is very true and very sad at the same time.

Why is this sad?  Is it our goal to raise everyone to our standard of living, even if their economy cannot sustain that?  Do we want every restaurant worker in the Philippines to make as much as a McDonald's worker does here?  That would make them nearly wealthy in their economy.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NBliving said:

I am wondering if any of the crew are coming down with CoVid-19.  I'm sure some of them will get it based on the statistics. I wonder if we will hear about these cases and if they will have to transport those with severe cases to a hospital?  

Why?  Unless one of the crew has it, they are essentially quarantined on the ship, with little to no interaction with the outside world, so how would it get there?  I am currently on a ship, we have very limited interaction with shore personnel (and even that has been reduced lately as precautions) about once a week, and I feel we are safer than our families back home.

• Like 3

I have a friend who is a performer on a large ship on a large line.  On her ship there is a skeleton crew left, most contracts were "suspended" and people flown home.  Entertainers got two weeks pay and a small stipend each week until the can come back to work.  She heard that what people got depended on what their position/department was, and some got nothing but a ticket home.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Who said this was tax free?  I know for a fact that Indonesia and the Philippines, as examples, tax income regardless of where earned.

Why is this sad?  Is it our goal to raise everyone to our standard of living, even if their economy cannot sustain that?  Do we want every restaurant worker in the Philippines to make as much as a McDonald's worker does here?  That would make them nearly wealthy in their economy.

For some, all foreign income is 100% tax free, if they stay more than 6 months abroad.

1 hour ago, NBliving said:

Unfortunately, yes.  I am starting to get word of numerous crewmembers who are very ill.  Please understand....I'll wait until it's in the media before I share specifics. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drsel said:

For some, all foreign income is 100% tax free, if they stay more than 6 months abroad.

And, typically, merchant mariners are exempt from this tax free status.  I know we pay taxes in the US, haven't looked at other countries, but I know our crew of Filipino's at NCL were taxed.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2020 at 4:37 PM, chengkp75 said:

I was only referring to this line ''But more than what they would earn doing the same work in their own countries ''