Curious about crew during no passengers?

h-sar

the crew members are the most volnurable. Also dont forget, that after they leave one group of passangers, they have to serve another which just increases their risks to get sick. I also wonder what kind of checks do they go through and how often are they allowed to work on the ship after the cruise. Are they also placed in quarntine for 2 weeks like the rest of the people? Anyway, I wish them luck, hope everything goes well for them

• Like 1

According to this article, to keep the ship ready to resume sailing, they should enter every cabin every day to make sure water is running and toilet works...  So having the crew stay in the cabins takes care of this...

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22623-cruise-lay-up-best-practices-be-ready-to-enter-service.html

30 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

According to this article, to keep the ship ready to resume sailing, they should enter every cabin every day to make sure water is running and toilet works...  So having the crew stay in the cabins takes care of this...

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22623-cruise-lay-up-best-practices-be-ready-to-enter-service.html

Yeah, well, V-Ships is not known for their "best practices" in the maritime industry.  And, of course they will want to maintain the maximum crew onboard, as they draw commission on each.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

According to this article, to keep the ship ready to resume sailing,

they should enter every cabin every day to make sure water is running

and toilet works...  So having the crew stay in the cabins takes care of this...

Logical approach?
So they too can experience that clogged bathroom drain

the dodgy TV and its remote

and other fun things malfunctioning -or not quite up to scratch.

I tell you...

by the time the cruise industry resumes function

those ships should be either sparkling or Perfect

Workload-312.jpg

23 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I think they are hoping by May/June.

To be hoped - but realistically that is very soon to hope for contagion to be contained and for reasonable treatment protocols to be developed.  I would say September/October is more likely — before unnecessary mass congregating returns.

On 3/19/2020 at 7:40 AM, drsel said:

I hope that they resume by August or September

Sadly think the peaking of cases will be in 3-4 weeks after any area goes to shelter by home, then hospital overwhelming another 2-3 weeks after that with deaths peaking another few weeks after that.  I think you get to a roll-off by May, but suspect that no normalcy till late summer, so possible  correct.

On 3/20/2020 at 2:26 PM, chipmaster said:

Sadly think the peaking of cases will be in 3-4 weeks after any area goes to shelter by home, then hospital overwhelming another 2-3 weeks after that with deaths peaking another few weeks after that.  I think you get to a roll-off by May, but suspect that no normalcy till late summer, so possible  correct.

Your “3-4 weeks” for “peaking of cases”, followed by “hospital overwhelming another 2-3 weeks”,  then “deaths peaking another few weeks after that” (“few” means at least three) — you are talking about at least nine to ten weeks - which brings us to early June - and what, exactly, is a “roll-off” anyway?

To the extent that “normalcy” has any meaning, the disruptions to income streams, productivity, tax revenues, and available discretionary vacation spending taken together means we are, at the very least, a year away from any”normalcy” when it comes to cruising. 

We are in untested waters;  it might be comforting to think this is all a tempest in a teapot — but realistically few of us will still be on this planet before these disturbances completely die down.

12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Your “3-4 weeks” for “peaking of cases”, followed by “hospital overwhelming another 2-3 weeks”,  then “deaths peaking another few weeks after that” (“few” means at least three) — you are talking about at least nine to ten weeks - which brings us to early June - and what, exactly, is a “roll-off” anyway?

To the extent that “normalcy” has any meaning, the disruptions to income streams, productivity, tax revenues, and available discretionary vacation spending taken together means we are, at the very least, a year away from any”normalcy” when it comes to cruising. 

We are in untested waters;  it might be comforting to think this is all a tempest in a teapot — but realistically few of us will still be on this planet before these disturbances completely die down.

Really tragic, we likely will all lose someone we know to COVID19, even those young folks who seem to think not me.    

Real death rate w/o overloading the healthcare likely < 1%, but as we saw in China and now in Italy it'll be > 3% and likely  20% for the older and weak

Yes it will never be normal again as even China, So Korea and other places will see a second hump, and in the southern hemisphere it is going to get starting just about now.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

Edited by chipmaster

I went back to my Cocoa Beach FB groups to try to find a photo that was posted last night and I couldn't find it.  But, to try to keep putting in some humor:

The photo was of  2 of the Disney ships "parked" close to each other offshore with a Carnival ship a bit away.  Someone asked what were the Disney ships doing.  One was "The Disney Girls plotting against Mr. Carnival."  My reply was "playing pickle ball between the ships."

I'm going stir crazy...

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

That's probably because your location is no longer "exactly where you want to be.

True.  I'd rather be working and getting ready for my birthday trip to Vegas...  Or camping.  Or sitting on a beach.  Or... 

On 3/17/2020 at 5:12 PM, drsel said:

$618 tax-free per month with free boarding and lodging is much much less than what they are normally used to.

But more than what they would earn doing the same work in their own countries

That is very true and very sad at the same time.