How is Celebrity defining ‘Penalty period’ in Cruise with Confidence

downsmead

Asked about cancelling my 21st April cruise this morning whilst on the phone to Celebrity UK. I am 37 days out and according to the cancellation conditions are in 50% penalty, so assumed that if I cancelled, I would get 50% cash, 50% FCC. However I was told no, it would all be given as FCC. This is a result of the changes to Cruise with Confidence last Thursday. The CwC still states penalty period though!
What are other people’s experience recently please?  I have seen posts around this issue but couldn’t see recent ones. Apologies if there are but ‘buried’ among the myriad of posts.
The other option is to wait it out and see if it is cancelled anyway and then maybe get 125%FCC.

Just now, downsmead said:

Asked about cancelling my 21st April cruise this morning whilst on the phone to Celebrity UK. I am 37 days out and according to the cancellation conditions are in 50% penalty, so assumed that if I cancelled, I would get 50% cash, 50% FCC. However I was told no, it would all be given as FCC. This is a result of the changes to Cruise with Confidence last Thursday. The CwC still states penalty period though!
What are other people’s experience recently please?  I have seen posts around this issue but couldn’t see recent ones. Apologies if there are but ‘buried’ among the myriad of posts.
The other option is to wait it out and see if it is cancelled anyway and then maybe get 125%FCC.

We received 50 / 50 last week, but from what I heard they changed it to FCC, only.

At first I was told FCC only as they were changing the policy; I shared a screen shot from the web site that still showed “in penalty” and it was honoured, acknowledged, confirmed that I would receive 50% cash back and 50% FCC.

They are being very clear when you call that their cancellation policy is changing daily.

I cancelled this morning and our options were 100% FCC OR 50% FCC and 50% Cash refund. We were 45 days to departure. That was also with Celebrity UK. 

We took the 100% FCC as we have rebooked for later in the year. We were told it will be up to 14 days until we get our voucher and then we need to email in the voucher number to have it offset against our new booking. 
Found the customer service team very helpful on the phone this morning! Was on hold for around 20 minutes or so but I didn’t mind that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes on hold! Wow. What local time did you call? Delta Airlines here quoted 20 HOURS yesterday. I could drive to Dallas in less time. And yes, I get it they are buried in calls. I solved the problem by driving to the airport. Served in 1 hour total including driving time.

31 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

20 minutes on hold! Wow. What local time did you call? Delta Airlines here quoted 20 HOURS yesterday. I could drive to Dallas in less time. And yes, I get it they are buried in calls. I solved the problem by driving to the airport. Served in 1 hour total including driving time.

Wow! 20 hours! That’s insane. 
I called them at 10:30 UK/Irish time this morning. 

27 minutes ago, downsmead said:

Emerald cruiser - thank you , typical Celebrity inconsistency 🤷‍♀️.

I will try again and see what happens. 

Good luck!!! It could be that the policy has changed and that particular person didn’t know? If we went for the 50/50 perhaps we would have found that out once the cancellation fully goes through. But that’s just assumptions. 

4 minutes ago, EmeraldCruiser19 said:

Good luck!!! It could be that the policy has changed and that particular person didn’t know? If we went for the 50/50 perhaps we would have found that out once the cancellation fully goes through. But that’s just assumptions. 

The policy did indeed change last week. Not sure what day.  Blaming X for a situation that is not their fault?

The only thing they could have IMO better is issued a general press release cancelling cruises leaving up to #=× date and say details will follow.  They would then have been beaten up for a lack of details.

Then the global cancellation . . . sort of due to ports closing and COVID cases. They could not have predicated the specifics there.

People are in a state of panic - why else would otherwise sane people buy a one year supply of toilet paper! In one week.

We too would like to know about FCC on a cancelled cruise and what happens to another. Right now staying home and hopefully healthy.

I know things may be different in US vs UK.  But the US site seems to indicate that you can either use the Cruise With Confidence program which is FCC only OR use the standard cancellation policy where you would only get a percentage refund and no FCC.   This may be a change from last week but to me is fair.

Q: What happens if you decide you are not interested in getting a Future
cruise Credit and simply wish to cancel for a refund, what are the options? 

A: If you wish to cancel prior to final payment, you can absolutely do so for a full refund of all monies paid to-date, and the nonrefundable deposits will be returned in the form of a FCC. After final payment, the standard cancellation penalties apply for guests not interested in taking advantage of the Cruise with Confidence policy    

5 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I know things may be different in US vs UK.  But the US site seems to indicate that you can either use the Cruise With Confidence program which is FCC only OR use the standard cancellation policy where you would only get a percentage refund and no FCC.   This may be a change from last week but to me is fair.

Q: What happens if you decide you are not interested in getting a Future
cruise Credit and simply wish to cancel for a refund, what are the options? 

A: If you wish to cancel prior to final payment, you can absolutely do so for a full refund of all monies paid to-date, and the nonrefundable deposits will be returned in the form of a FCC. After final payment, the standard cancellation penalties apply for guests not interested in taking advantage of the Cruise with Confidence policy    

The problem people are having is two changes in policy in a couple weeks in the USA and a sense it might change again. Then the unfortunate people that changed the day before the Cruise with Confidence program and lost $$ or those with cruises after the effective date. 

I was given mixed messages when a lady from Miami called me after I put a query on Celebrity’s Social Media site. I had asked what our position was, as we are 1 day outside the Cruise with Confidence. We should sail 1st August.

She said:

a) Wait until the last minute until you cancel, You need to pay in full by June 1st- NO it’s May 1st as we have booked via a TA.

b) She said you will have your deposit refunded in full. When I told her that we loose deposits if we cancel if booked in UK, she then had to ring Celebrity UK for clarification. 

She got back to me to tell me, ‘Yes, I would loose my deposit.’

2 hours ago, downsmead said:

You can get 100%FCC now or of course wait until you see if Celebrity cancels and offers more. Or you can cancel today and go back to the original Celebrity cancellation policy and get back your 50% refunded to the method of payment and forfeit the 50% penalty just as if you cancelled under normal policy. Hope this helps 

1 hour ago, downsmead said:

Emerald cruiser - thank you , typical Celebrity inconsistency 🤷‍♀️.

I will try again and see what happens. 

I contacted my girl at X UK and she confirmed it is 100% FCC as the cruise is scheduled to go ahead. 

We cancelled our May 28th sailing on the Summit yesterday while in the 25% penalty phase as today would have been 50% penalty.  We were told that we would be receiving port fees and taxes back in cash.  The only option I had was 100% FCC that had to be used by, and when I say used by, meant that you had to sail before 12/31/2021.  Their website stated REDEEM by which has a totally different meaning to me.  They are not giving an inch.  If I wanted a refund, I would only get 75% back.  I know it is not their fault but neither is it mine.  I wanted to see if they would issue an exception and let me use it to book a January 2022 cruise which is only a week after the deadline but they are taking a hardline approach.  No consideration that we have been sailing Celebrity since 1991, not that it should matter anyway.  It does make me rethink brand loyalty.  To make matters worse, they can't deliver the product since this was a cruise to the Canadian Maritimes and the ports are closed.  Their excuse was that the cruise isn't cancelled because they weren't officially notified by the Canadian government.  They still have the cruise listed and are sending upsell bid offers to those still booked so you can get a great price on a 9 day cruise to nowhere.  Not good, Celebrity. 

I'd be very curious to find out whether those who purchased travel insurance would be able to recover any non rebated monies (FCC or cash) out of pocket costs.

Has anyone contacted the insurance companies re. this?

2 minutes ago, woody14h said:

I'd be very curious to find out whether those who purchased travel insurance would be able to recover any non rebated monies (FCC or cash) out of pocket costs.

my MIL was told that coronavirus is a known issue now so they are not paying out for trip interruption or cancellation. She's going to lose the $1500 she spent on airfare and hotel to get to a cruise that was cancelled after she had arrived.

Everything is very confusing. We are also on the May 28 Summit sailing but cancelled on Tuesday. Our travel agent told us that we would get back the 75% and 25%, $900, would go to FCC. We had a non-refundable deposit and four perks. We also had our own travel insurance. So far, no money is on our credit card. The travel agent emailed insurance to see if it could be applied to a future cruise. Haven’t heard anything. We like sailing out of Bayonne and don’t know what cruises we would take in 2020. Hope people stay safe and healthy.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, woody14h said:

Of course they can, with supporting documentation for policy included perils.

bon voyage

52 minutes ago, SusieV said:

my MIL was told that coronavirus is a known issue now so they are not paying out for trip interruption or cancellation. She's going to lose the $1500 she spent on airfare and hotel to get to a cruise that was cancelled after she had arrived.

This is dependent on when the Travel Insurance was purchased, that will be the determining factor of coverage.

Were the policy purchased before 20 January 2020, no brainer (unless pandemic clause in policy).

bon voyage

17 minutes ago, woody14h said:

Do you know first hand?

What Included perils??

Read your policy, it will specifically state which perils are covered.

Since each policy is different, there is no way anyone, here, can specifically tell you what is or is not covered, your insurer, agent or underwriter of the policy is the best source for this information.

Yet, as a general rule and pending on date when the policy was purchased, etc. with the prerequisite documentation, it may be covered.

bon voyage

8 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Read your policy, it will specifically state which perils are covered.

Since each policy is different, there is no way anyone, here, can specifically tell you what is or is not covered, your insurer, agent or underwriter of the policy is the best source for this information.

Yet, as a general rule and pending on date when the policy was purchased, etc. with the prerequisite documentation, it may be covered.

bon voyage

We'll just have to wait and see once the dust settles.  Funds will be tied up for months etc. Our health is of utmost important. We are still on this cruise at least until the last day to cancel.  Miracles can happen. This will be the third time we will miss Madeira, the first was because of serious illness; second during a hurricane in 2011. And now this.  Are the Gods trying to tell me something??😩😩

1 minute ago, woody14h said:

We'll just have to wait and see once the dust settles.  Funds will be tied up for months etc. Our health is of utmost important. We are still on this cruise at least until the last day to cancel.  Miracles can happen. This will be the third time we will miss Madeira, the first was because of serious illness; second during a hurricane in 2011. And now this.  Are the Gods trying to tell me something??😩😩

Yes, they want you to fly in, spend some time there and not cruise in and out.... 🙂

bon voyage