Where's Mardi Gras?

smurf1635

Thanks for the information.  Hope it is correct we are also book for Feb 2021. Why would Carnival say on the website it is sold out. That would generate greater interest in cruises that are not sold out. Marketing 101.

Happy Sailing 

15 minutes ago, MrsKC08 said:

So that that as you will. But as mentioned, with all of the initial cruisers that needed to reschedule because deployment was pushed back, along with thousands of others that had their other cruises canceled because of Covid, and the fact that they will most likely not be sailing at capacity for a while because of Covid, or at least until they know the best/sweet spot for passengers...so far the cruises are still a go. 

Oh gad!  Your post makes me think about how my Mardi Gras cruise in November might be.   No Buffet,  No Pools, No Shows,  No Spa, No Kids Club, only 6ft social distancing.  Mandatory masks.  All restaurants closed with walk-up service or room delivery only.  It's going to be sooooo much fun.   My Nov cruise was already sold out,  are they going to start cancelling half the cabins?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, dtoulmin said:

I respectfully disagree that this is speculation.

1. The Mardi Gras was delayed and my sailing from Southampton to Ny was cancelled Sept 2020.

2 Carnival removed sailing Nov 2020 to March 2021 from their Website.

A spokesperson for the Meyer Turku shipyard told The Points Guy the coronavirus outbreak has had an impact on the facility but work continues. (Meyer Turku spokesperson Tapani Mylly )
  We have a sailing booked Feb 2021. When we booked  many rooms were available now they are not not. This is the facts.

The same pattern happen when they cancelled our first booking. Sailings disappeared from the website site, I called Carnival and was told it is now sold out.     A few weeks later the sailing disappeared from my trip details on the Carnival website. A few days I got a cancellation email from Carnival.            We are hoping that the sailing will go in Feb 2021 we have a Aft suite and we looking forward to the sailing. 
The following is speculation it may be delayed due the the pandemic. Carnival is protecting themselves from costs associated with possible more cancellations. 

All old news, not sure who the points guy is but if he is going to do a scoop, he needs to get it out earlier.  The pattern is not the same as the cancellation of the original sailings, at all.

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

All old news, not sure who the points guy is but if he is going to do a scoop, he needs to get it out earlier.  The pattern is not the same as the cancellation of the original sailings, at all.

I disagree the pattern is same as I see it. The same thing happen when they cancelled my Southampton to NY cruise.. Cruises disappeared from the website, it disappeared for the my booking page. I called Carnival they told me it was sold out. Why would they not indicate on the web page it is sold out. Then I got an email cancelling the cruise. That process took a about six weeks,  Yes the situation is different now it more serious we have a pandemic. 

We are hoping to cruise but time will tell.

3 hours ago, dtoulmin said:

I disagree the pattern is same as I see it. The same thing happen when they cancelled my Southampton to NY cruise.. Cruises disappeared from the website, it disappeared for the my booking page. I called Carnival they told me it was sold out. Why would they not indicate on the web page it is sold out. Then I got an email cancelling the cruise. That process took a about six weeks,  Yes the situation is different now it more serious we have a pandemic. 

We are hoping to cruise but time will tell.

It certainly will

On 4/22/2020 at 5:23 PM, jimbo5544 said:

. . . not sure who the points guy is but if he is going to do a scoop, he needs to get it out earlier . . .

Jim,  I was a bit surprised to read here that you weren't already aware of this resource (TPG), and I do highly encourage you to check out some of their travel information, perhaps even subscribing to their free online presence.  It's not just one 'guy' despite the name. I routinely talk with travel planners (like yourself) who quote details they've learned there.  Just like everything else, you gotta 'weed out' the stuff that's relevant and that which isn't.  They recently had some scoop regarding Marriott that I didn't know, and it was very helpful to me. 

Take care!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

Now the bottom has dropped out of the oil market, I wonder if they are yanking those LNG engines and replacing them with diesel engines?  

I would doubt it. The oversupply in oil now will disappear once demand builds back up or with production cuts, current demand gradually reduces the supply. Landed LNG is very cheap under $2/CF.  Even China's landed LNG, usually highest around, is around $4.50/cf. WTI and Brent both rose today. The extreme contango created earlier this week when contract expirations occurred is a rare event and even rarer in influence on spot.

1 hour ago, DGP1111 said:

Jim,  I was a bit surprised to read here that you weren't already aware of this resource (TPG), and I do highly encourage you to check out some of their travel information, perhaps even subscribing to their free online presence.  It's not just one 'guy' despite the name. I routinely talk with travel planners (like yourself) who quote details they've learned there.  Just like everything else, you gotta 'weed out' the stuff that's relevant and that which isn't.  They recently had some scoop regarding Marriott that I didn't know, and it was very helpful to me. 

Take care!

I will

36 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I would doubt it. The oversupply in oil now will disappear once demand builds back up or with production cuts, current demand gradually reduces the supply. Landed LNG is very cheap under $2/CF.  Even China's landed LNG, usually highest around, is around $4.50/cf. WTI and Brent both rose today. The extreme contango created earlier this week when contract expirations occurred is a rare event and even rarer in influence on spot.

I was making a little joke, in 24 months oil will probably be $200 a barrel and many of the diesel ships will be laid-up.  

On 4/22/2020 at 2:45 PM, Elbozi said:

Oh gad!  Your post makes me think about how my Mardi Gras cruise in November might be.   No Buffet,  No Pools, No Shows,  No Spa, No Kids Club, only 6ft social distancing.  Mandatory masks.  All restaurants closed with walk-up service or room delivery only.  It's going to be sooooo much fun.   My Nov cruise was already sold out,  are they going to start cancelling half the cabins?

If you truly think that your cruise is going to be miserable then it's probably best you just go ahead and cancel because you'll step on board and make yourself and those around you miserable too. No one is saying there will be no pools (which were already a petri dish long before Covid), no shows, no spa, etc. November is still a very long time away and things are ever changing with this thing. Anything being thrown out now is simply speculation at this point. There are plenty of cruisers ready to get back on the ships the minute the travel ban is lifted. Heck, here in TN they opened up restaurants and there were some where people were lined up and ready to go on in.

• Like 1

I hope Mardi Gras is not delayed we are to sail in March. Here is my speculation which I hope I’m off base ...

I know it’s taking a long time for people to be refunded their money from all the cancelled cruises. Carnival is not bringing in money. I’m sure they do not want to cancel Mardi Gras sailings  right now and have to refund more money until they have to. 

the ship yards have restrictions so I imagine Mardi Gras is taking longer to be built.  They probably have no idea how long this will go on and I imagine the ship yard has said we are behind 3 months with this but we will do the best we can and give you updates. 

carnival says it’s on time and they are restricting numbers. That just doesn’t make sense to me.  I’m sure all sailings had different numbers. They said they all were full on the same day? They have to have a certain capacity to make money. 

My gut feeling again I hope I’m wrong is that until they have a solid answer from the builders they don’t want to cancel or delay again and give a definite date if they have to change it again. They also don’t want to give back deposits and payment until they have to.  

We shall see! I’m really hoping we Sail in March but also will make back up plans! 

• Like 2

The shipyard building Mardi Gras has not had a single case of Corona Virus. They continue to build and finish the Mardi Gras on time. It makes sense to me they have stopped booking this ship for the first several months as they do not know what capacity they will be able to sail at. IMO

4 hours ago, rolloman said:

The shipyard building Mardi Gras has not had a single case of Corona Virus. They continue to build and finish the Mardi Gras on time. It makes sense to me they have stopped booking this ship for the first several months as they do not know what capacity they will be able to sail at. IMO

One could say the same about every other ship in the fleet, so why haven’t they pulled the bookings for any of those if it’s a capacity thing? My money is on the ship being delayed until early 2021.

5 hours ago, cksv said:

One could say the same about every other ship in the fleet, so why haven’t they pulled the bookings for any of those if it’s a capacity thing? My money is on the ship being delayed until early 2021.

Maybe because the Mardi Gras with its popularity is easily filled and the others are not? Who knows....guess we shall see.

1 hour ago, rolloman said:

Maybe because the Mardi Gras with its popularity is easily filled and the others are not? Who knows....guess we shall see.

Yes, we will see.  There is a pessimist view of unknown and an optimistic view. Like you, I will choose the high road until any facts dictate differently.  

9 hours ago, cksv said:

Have you seen the latest pictures?   From the outside it looks like it can do trials in a month.  Plus there's a ton of busy shipyard workers there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Have you seen the latest pictures?   From the outside it looks like it can do trials in a month.  Plus there's a ton of busy shipyard workers there.

It's 5 weeks ahead of schedule now.  Meyer has everything riding on on-time delivery of this.

Edited by Elbozi

I guess I must be an optimist.  We have a cruise booked on her for Feb 20, 2021.  She's still in our cruise manager.  I know for a fact when doing a mock booking that prior to the pandemic, the front third of the ship was sold out.  Add to that all of the cruises that were cancelled when the ships stopped sailing and people rebooked.  

Countless people have said that they were informed that the ship is booked solid for Jan, Feb and Mar. yet some can't take that for the  truth.  Nowhere has anyone given proof that construction has stopped on her.  Several have posted that it continued so there is no reason to believe that she won't be ready for the first scheduled cruise until we hear otherwise from Carnival.

I will say that I am not making final payment until the due date.  Not because I don't think she'll sail.  I just don't know if and when we will be able to cruise if ours is cancelled and would rather have a refund of what money I have already put down.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/27/2020 at 9:54 PM, cksv said:

Annnnd it's official...

Edited by cksv
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Did you enjoy this?

Very much so. You came across like you refused to listen to anyone else’s opinion.

It followed the same scenario as  when Carnival   cancelled our cross atlantic trip from Southampton UK. You also questioned the TPG blog I mentioned. No way all the sailing were sold out, capping capacity made sense. As previously mentioned the only difference is we are now in a world pandemic. That is a big problem. We have our fingers crossed for our sailing Feb 2021 will go ahead. It would not surprise me if this is delayed again. We still need to get the C19 under control.
That is my opinion.  

Stay safe and I hope all your cruise dreams come true.