Unexpected Profit on OBC Refund

At the end of January I purchased US $400 of OBC for my Sapphire cruise at a cost of Aus $560.   Due to the cruise being cancelled halfway through I never got to spend it so today the refund cheque arrived.   It is for AUS $646.69.   Obviously refunded back at the current exchange rate rather than the actual rate I paid.    Best return I've had for a long time.   

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, datone said:

At the end of January I purchased US $400 of OBC for my Sapphire cruise at a cost of Aus $560.   Due to the cruise being cancelled halfway through I never got to spend it so today the refund cheque arrived.   It is for AUS $646.69.   Obviously refunded back at the current exchange rate rather than the actual rate I paid.    Best return I've had for a long time.   

We are thinking similar for a small boat cruise we booked in Greece. Paid in Euros. Waiting for refund. 

11 hours ago, datone said:

Well done!  Returns are always paid at the current exchange rate.  Just cost the cruise line $400US, which is what you paid.  Example of the sad rate of Aussie dollar.  Just as well we can't travel overseas at present, with our weak currency

I don't like to gamble and as my knowledge on how shares or currencies will behave is beyond my expertise it becomes total speculation and I do not want to necessarily back a decision with my hard earned. As a longer term investment, I feel some shares are likely to preform and provide a decent enough return, however the current environment has wilted my confidence in any of this.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Plastic bottles, are they 1.5 litre?.

Yes Mic, available in Sainsburys, Tescos etc supermarkets in the  UK.  Not a bad drop and cheap. Spanish wine from memory.  Not seen them here.

Edited by NSWP

We were due to sail transpacific to Hawaii on 20th April on Ovation. 

I have enormous praise for the hotels, private tour companies and even Jetstar in terms of providing refunds because of the cancellation of this cruise. Initially Jetstar was only offering a future travel voucher but when I explained the situation they have agreed to a refund. The hotels were booked as non-refundable bookings as well but didn't bat an eye when we asked for a refund and credited the refunds back to us within 5-7 days. Jetstar will take some weeks as will Royal Caribbean. 

Only hold out now is Hawaiian Airlines where we had some inter-island flights booked. Have asked for a refund after explaining the situation and am awaiting a response but will claim on travel insurance if I get a negative response. 

But all up - we're pretty much getting all our money back and yes due to the drop in the AUD where we paid in USD we'll make a small gain.