for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

Hi girls, this has been a funky weekend. I got a hair cut, went out for lunch and ran a couple of errands and everything was going fine. (This was yesterday). I get home and all of sudden I start feeling odd...like I had caught a stomach bug or something. It came on really quick and then I got the chills. So strange......and today I feel all better. How weird is that.I didn't each much today though. Had 2 slices of toast with cheese for lunch and only a yogurt for breakfast. Hoping it was just a 24 hour bug thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls, this has been a funky weekend. I got a hair cut, went out for lunch and ran a couple of errands and everything was going fine. (This was yesterday). I get home and all of sudden I start feeling odd...like I had caught a stomach bug or something. It came on really quick and then I got the chills. So strange......and today I feel all better. How weird is that.I didn't each much today though. Had 2 slices of toast with cheese for lunch and only a yogurt for breakfast. Hoping it was just a 24 hour bug thing.

Hope you’re all better. You’re out with more people, some likely sick, at the hospital

Just dropped the last grandson at the airport today.  Condo is very quiet, I spent most of today catching up on laundry as there was lots of beach towels and bedsheets to wash😂.

My husband said that after 3 weeks with grandkids and their parents, we need a vacation!

Sherri🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sounds like everyone is getting on with summer (or in Melissa's case winter) plans. 

I've been kind of coasting but just realized I only have a month til I leave for my Iceland/Greenland cruise and still have a few details to wrap up. 

I've also had to spend time following up with various retirement paperwork. Just love it that my pension has not yet arrived despite having filled out all of the paperwork to have it start in May. 🤷‍♀️

It's hot here but not TOO miserable. Today I'm off to run a few errands as there's no rain in the forecast.

Kat and Lois, sorry you've been not feeling well; hope you both fight off whatever is sapping your energy. 

Melody -- oh my goodness, that was some significant weather! We get the rare summer hail storm here but I have never personally seen it that large!

Sherri -- good to hear from you. I hope you have some peace and quiet ahead to "recover" from the grandkids!

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

Thx Cynthia.  I’m not so fatigued today.  I just never know when it’s going to sneak up on me and sap me.  

Has anyone bought anything during the Prime Day sale?   I surprised myself and didn’t buy any travel or camping stuff.  But I didn’t go empty handed.  I got a mini carpet cleaner.  I had been looking at one for awhile.  We got one at work this winter and it worked well.  The price was $123.59 so I bought it.   I bought some electric toothbrush replacements.   I saw some good deals on travel things, like battery packs and USB hubs  and some luggage, but I don’t need.  

OOTD: shorts and a sleeveless T-shirt.  Hot for the next 10 days here - mid 80s to low 90s.  That’s hot for here.  Always feels 10 degrees hotter.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Thx Cynthia.  I’m not so fatigued today.  I just never know when it’s going to sneak up on me and sap me.  

Has anyone bought anything during the Prime Day sale?   I surprised myself and didn’t buy any travel or camping stuff.  But I didn’t go empty handed.  I got a mini carpet cleaner.  I had been looking at one for awhile.  We got one at work this winter and it worked well.  The price was $123.59 so I bought it.   I bought some electric toothbrush replacements.   I saw some good deals on travel things, like battery packs and USB hubs  and some luggage, but I don’t need.  

OOTD: shorts and a sleeveless T-shirt.  Hot for the next 10 days here - mid 80s to low 90s.  That’s hot for here.  Always feels 10 degrees hotter.  

We bought AirPods!  Pretty good price. We’ll see if I can stand them in my ears!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

We bought AirPods!  Pretty good price. We’ll see if I can stand them in my ears!!!

I forgot until I opened my package today - I also got a new Echo Dot with clock.  Mine is one of the originals and the sound was getting bad.  I like to fall asleep to either music or BBC Overnight on my local radio station and it just wasn’t very good anymore.   It came already attached to my Alexa account with all the network info so all I had to do was plug it in.  Nice!

I bought AirPods last year.  I use them when using my Bose headphones aren’t practical.  My right ear isn’t fond of in ear headphones. 

• Like 1

I forgot.

If you want to use your AirPods or another Bluetooth headphones with a plane’s entertainment system, get on Amazon before the end of the day and buy a Bluetooth adapter for plane use.  That way you don’t have to use those nasty earphones the airline hand out.  There are a few in the Prime Day sale.   Have the 1Mii 5.3.  I got it on sale a little while ago.  It’s small and has a charger box so it’s a small footprint.  Yes, more expensive, but I liked the specs.

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

I didn't find much in the travel area in the Amazon sale that interested me. I'm good on gadgets and suitcases/carry-ons for now. 

Have Air Pods improved in terms of comfort? I tried on a pair when they first came out and thought NO WAY...  But my ears are small and fairly sensitive. I have some small "in ear" noise canceling ones that I love. I've had them for probably 10 years. I hope they last forever!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I didn't find much in the travel area in the Amazon sale that interested me. I'm good on gadgets and suitcases/carry-ons for now. 

Have Air Pods improved in terms of comfort? I tried on a pair when they first came out and thought NO WAY...  But my ears are small and fairly sensitive. I have some small "in ear" noise canceling ones that I love. I've had them for probably 10 years. I hope they last forever!

That’s why I have my Bose.  My right ear insides are small.  And that’s the one that is always very stuffed. I always had issues with keeping something in that ear.  To me the AirPods are the same design as the corded EarPods that came with iPhones.  The AirPod Pros look to have a different ear profile.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

These are the noise cancelling ones. Hubs loves them, he’s profoundly deaf & he can actually hear music with these. Only other device has been his BOSE headphones

13 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I forgot.

If you want to use your AirPods or another Bluetooth headphones with a plane’s entertainment system, get on Amazon before the end of the day and buy a Bluetooth adapter for plane use.  That way you don’t have to use those nasty earphones the airline hand out.  There are a few in the Prime Day sale.   Have the 1Mii 5.3.  I got it on sale a little while ago.  It’s small and has a charger box so it’s a small footprint.  Yes, more expensive, but I liked the specs.

Thanks, we’ll give it a try!

I saw a little thing on CNN last night about the top 5 things bought during Prime Days: two were AirPods and the little rug cleaner that I bought.  Another one was some brand of lipstick.   Fire stick was big, too.  Can’t remember the fifth.  

Drove down to the valley to the Apple Store to buy a new MacBook.  I couldn’t decide at home between the Air and Pro so I wanted to talk to someone about it.  Always had a Pro, but that started when they had a Cd/mp3/dvd built in.   Ended up with the new Air.  Same chip as the Pro.   Now I have to go back tomorrow and have a geek get my old one started up so I can pull some things off of it.  It was hot down there, upper 90s so I didn’t dawdle.  Maybe long enough tomorrow to do a quicker at TJs.  

Squirrel looked particularly cute yesterday.  I still can’t believe he hangs out on my back drain pipe.  It’s been since January.  Must like the sunflower and pumpkin seeds from TJs that I give him for breakfast!🐿️

IMG_2338.jpeg

• Like 1

Kat, try giving your squirrel friend in the shell peanuts. That’s what DS learned to feed the squirrels here in London.

Went to Mia Mamma last night. I don’t have time to write a full report, but I will share when we get back. I can say this…the food was sooooo good and the service was outstanding. We’ve planned a few things in advance but most of our plans are sorted day before or even day of. We had gone to the National Gallery and we’re having a sit and a brew at a nearby pub when we decided to go. It was too late for a booking but their website says to come on by if you’re a party of 2 or 3. 

I’ll also share how they work the menu. There’s a set menu that seems to be what changes with the mammas in residence. Then there’s a small menu that seems to be a standard always available offering. We got the set menu. They don’t list which region is current but there was a flag hanging when you walk in that I need to identify to see if that is how they “announce “ the region.

We fly home Tuesday so I’ll report after that. I took many pictures including the menu.

• Like 3

It took 90 minutes, but the guy at the Apple Store Genius Bar got my old MacBook working so we could transfer everything over to my new Air.  I just have to set some things up again and do some new adjustments.  I feel much better now.  

Just did a very fast run into TJs and picked up a dinner salad and some tortillas.  I just didn't feel like dealing with it today.   Just too hot down here in the Valley.  I will say that my Woolx Mia Tshirt was perfect!  It feels like nothing on at all.  Just another ad for Woolx...  

Anita - I'll grab some peanuts in the shell next time I'm at the market for Squirrel.

OOTD:  jeans shorts, Woolx Mia Tshirt, high tops.  Had my hair pulled back in a pony to help combat the heat.  

• Like 1

Kat I took some tortillas from trader joes in San Francisco back to NZ , we love them

as flour and corn .

I started packing yesterday , looks so hot in Europe at present , I purchased a fan with batteries and a water sprayer to take , ugly but hopefully helps .

Last thing to buy is a power pack for my iphone as its not lasting as long . I got a new ipad in San Fran so cant quite justify a new phone as well !

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MrToblerone said:

Kat I took some tortillas from trader joes in San Francisco back to NZ , we love them

as flour and corn .

I started packing yesterday , looks so hot in Europe at present , I purchased a fan with batteries and a water sprayer to take , ugly but hopefully helps .

Last thing to buy is a power pack for my iphone as its not lasting as long . I got a new ipad in San Fran so cant quite justify a new phone as well !

Make sure you clear out apps etc. those drag the performance of an iPhone very quickly. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MrToblerone said:

One thing I've used when I have had to be out in the heat are these cooling towels. They seemed to help.

https://www.amazon.com/FROGG-TOGGS-Microfiber-Biodegradable-Original/dp/B003YF7W22/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=cooling%2Btowel&qid=1689519813&sr=8-7&th=1

They would work well in Rome as there are plenty of public fountains with nice cool water. Look for ones that look like this -- the water is also safe to drink and you can refill water bottles there too:

image.png.4d2c423a4dd7ee0b14ef3ebbfea0e426.png

• Like 1

Hi girls, been a while since I posted. Volunteering is going pretty well. I am only going 2 days a week.

The weather has been HOT (as it has been everywhere).

I got a letter in the mail from the imaging place who did my mammogram last month saying it shows I have "Dense breast tissue" (which I knew) BUT I thought I would only need a mammogram once a year going forward. They want me to come back in 6 months  to check again. Better to be safe than sorry. I made the appt for the end of December. Not sure if ya'll remember, but I had breast surgery in 2019 so I do have to be aware of anything funky. Hoping this tissue is all there is.......just fatty tissue.

Hope all of you are doing well.

• Like 3

Apropos of nothing in particular, I just wanted to say how refreshing and delightful this particular forum is - everyone seems to be kind and generous, and I don't see the pissing contests that I see with dismaying frequency on many of the other forums on CC. 

Good luck with the mammogram, Lois! I'm still young enough (barely) that I haven't had to experience the pleasure yet (with the additional piece that I don't have a family history that would require an earlier screen.) 

OOTD: Zuri dress (in a discontinued fabric), bare feet unless I have to go out, in which case, my Keen sandals. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, neeuqdrazil said:

Apropos of nothing in particular, I just wanted to say how refreshing and delightful this particular forum is - everyone seems to be kind and generous, and I don't see the pissing contests that I see with dismaying frequency on many of the other forums on CC. 

Good luck with the mammogram, Lois! I'm still young enough (barely) that I haven't had to experience the pleasure yet (with the additional piece that I don't have a family history that would require an earlier screen.) 

OOTD: Zuri dress (in a discontinued fabric), bare feet unless I have to go out, in which case, my Keen sandals. 

Hi, thanks so much and you are more than welcome to come back and post any time🙂 Yes, this particular thread is very friendly and we are truly like a family of girlfriends. It is definitely nice to know we can come here to chat about basically anything we want/need to🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

Welcome!  We really did start out as a way to keep sane during the Pandmic and shutdown.  Now that traveling is back, we've gone to chatting about al things traveling, food, clothes, etc.  Feel free to come back and chat!  

Lois - the mammogram place may want to establish a baseline.  My imaging place had me come back in 6 months to take a look again.  Now, it's once a year.   I saw it's HOT down in your area - it has to be HOT for someone in Florida to say it's HOT!!!   We're hot up here, too.  The Valley has been at 100+ for days and days.  We're in the mid-80s-90 here.  It always feels 10 degrees hotter.  "I remember" back when there was maybe 1 week in August when we'd get this hot.  No A/C, only ceiling fans, and it was enough.  Not anymore up here.  

Not doing anything today except keep up my fight against my patio ants.  Trying to avoid Raid since Squirrel hangs out, but the Zevo isn't working for more than a day.   Any good ideas???  

OOTD:  Brown Free People hiking shorts & green Hobie Surfboards Tshirt. Looks hideous,  but only me, Squirrel and the birds will see it!

• Like 1