for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

13 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

BFF #1 (40+ years) tested positive for covid this week. She's a contact tracer in her county. Says it feels like a cold.

BFF #2 called me frantically at 12:12 (yep, I know the exact time). She could barely get out the words that she had found her 32 year old daughter dead this morning. I was able to leave work nearly immediately and go support her. She and her husband will now raise their 15 month old special needs granddaughter. 

It doesn't pay to be my BFF this week.☹️

When things like this happen, there are no words to express the shock and sorrow. So sorry to hear about your BFF #2, and glad you were able to go right away and offer her support. That is devastating.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

When things like this happen, there are no words to express the shock and sorrow. So sorry to hear about your BFF #2, and glad you were able to go right away and offer her support. That is devastating.

No words at all. I cannot imagine what she is going through right now. The family will start making funeral plans tomorrow--the medical examiner released the body this afternoon. I have asked if she's eating (she said yes--not much, but yes). Another friend is bringing over soup for their cafe, so they'll have dinner too.

18 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

I can only echo what Lois said, I am so sorry, I can't imagine the horror of that.  

9 hours ago, awhfy said:

Oh dear, what a horrible shock for your friend

P describes it as a nightmare. Her daughter was an only child, so it's even harder. She has two stepchildren. P is also an only child, so no sibling support. Her mother is still with us--she just remarried at 82 after over 30 years as a widow. It's just tough all around.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

BFF #1 (40+ years) tested positive for covid this week. She's a contact tracer in her county. Says it feels like a cold.

BFF #2 called me frantically at 12:12 (yep, I know the exact time). She could barely get out the words that she had found her 32 year old daughter dead this morning. I was able to leave work nearly immediately and go support her. She and her husband will now raise their 15 month old special needs granddaughter. 

Oh My God.  I am so sorry to hear about you BFF#2's daughter.   No parent should find their child dead and have to bury them.  Good on you to be there for her.  See if you can hunt for some special needs support in her area to try to get some assistance with the load.  I just can't imagine...

Your BFF#1 sounds like the "it's a cold" type of O.  Fortunately, it's the same treatment as for a cold - liquids, advil, mucinex, rest... Mine never felt as bad as a cold, just stayed in the "well, it's something but just annoying" phase.  

My anti-mask couple just returned from town.  The guy have me a bit of a hard time last night when I told him it was a county-mandate.  He replied like "I'm just ignoring it.  I never mask."   I took a look at their reservation to see where they were from:  not surprisingly to me, Fort Lauderdale, FL.  Lois - not a total ding on Florida, but jeez, I wish more would follow your example and do what's right.  

OOTD: my yoga pants and a white long-sleeve T with animal print on part of the arms.  I got too hot yesterday with the jacket.  

I volunteered to come in for 4 hours tomorrow afternoon-evening so my boss doesn't have to work 8am-7pm.  I just hope I don't get sick like I did the last time I volunteered to work on my day off...

• Like 2

Hi Kat, Ding all you want LOL........If I am going somewhere that requires a mask (all my cruises for example), I always follow those rules.  That guy needs to just go where masks are not required. Not visit somewhere of his own accord and then don't follow the local rules. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Kat, Ding all you want LOL........If I am going somewhere that requires a mask (all my cruises for example), I always follow those rules.  That guy needs to just go where masks are not required. Not visit somewhere of his own accord and then don't follow the local rules. 

Maybe he should have done a staycation...   I think Idaho is non-mask friendly, so he could have gone to Sun Valley...

I've started just pointing to my mask when I see folks coming in unmasked.  Most say "sorry" and pull it out of their pocket.  

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 7:56 PM, PurpleHays said:

So sorry about your friend!  I cannot imagine what she is going through and I am sure she is grateful for  all of your love & support.

Sherri🙂

Edited by sjb317
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Oh My God.  I am so sorry to hear about you BFF#2's daughter.   No parent should find their child dead and have to bury them.  Good on you to be there for her.  See if you can hunt for some special needs support in her area to try to get some assistance with the load.  I just can't imagine...

Your BFF#1 sounds like the "it's a cold" type of O.  Fortunately, it's the same treatment as for a cold - liquids, advil, mucinex, rest... Mine never felt as bad as a cold, just stayed in the "well, it's something but just annoying" phase.  

My anti-mask couple just returned from town.  The guy have me a bit of a hard time last night when I told him it was a county-mandate.  He replied like "I'm just ignoring it.  I never mask."   I took a look at their reservation to see where they were from:  not surprisingly to me, Fort Lauderdale, FL.  Lois - not a total ding on Florida, but jeez, I wish more would follow your example and do what's right.  

OOTD: my yoga pants and a white long-sleeve T with animal print on part of the arms.  I got too hot yesterday with the jacket.  

I volunteered to come in for 4 hours tomorrow afternoon-evening so my boss doesn't have to work 8am-7pm.  I just hope I don't get sick like I did the last time I volunteered to work on my day off...

It does not surprise me that he is from Florida andI agree with Lois, ding all you want🙄

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

So, we are getting off cruise ship in the morning and going into hibernation, no pedicures/manicures for me🙄😂.  My husband thinks we should go back to ordering groceries so probably will for a few weeks.  No more gym or dance lessons. 

Our son was unable to fly back to Australia as he tested positive on his PCR test, he remains asymptomatic so hopefully can test negative next week and get back. No one else in the family had tested positive but we have all done antigen tests which does not pick up omicron as effectively.  What a mess for him!

Hopeful that everyone stays safe!

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 5:02 PM, Lois R said:

I agree and wear one when required.  Thank goodness where we live only one business requires them.  It is nice to hear that around Ft. Lauderdale masks are not a thing since we are going there for an event at the end of February.  Idaho is too far drive for us.  We are researching Gatlinburg for a trip in April.  If anyone has any knowledge about how it is around that area.

3 hours ago, sjb317 said:

So, we are getting off cruise ship in the morning and going into hibernation, no pedicures/manicures for me🙄😂.  My husband thinks we should go back to ordering groceries so probably will for a few weeks.  No more gym or dance lessons. 

Our son was unable to fly back to Australia as he tested positive on his PCR test, he remains asymptomatic so hopefully can test negative next week and get back. No one else in the family had tested positive but we have all done antigen tests which does not pick up omicron as effectively.  What a mess for him!

Hopeful that everyone stays safe!

Sherri🙂

Hey, if I wasn't working, I'd hibernate.  This "O" seems to know no bounds.

Sorry about your son.  Is he able to stay somewhere decent or is he relegated to the "Covid jail"?  The whole asymptomatic thing is what scares me.  No one will know unless they must get a test for something.  If they don't need a test, they just run around spreading the virus.  

Since I just came into work to let my boss go home, I decided to deck out as a old hippie cowboy lady:  OOTD;  my 10-year old tan moto boots, my Gap jeans jacket, my Sundance Catalog embroidered jeans, my very sparkly belt (with brass, copper and silver rivets), and gray Tshirt from Woolx.   I can't wear my real cowboy boots because I can't get them over my reconstructed ankle, but my moto boots have a zipper for easy entry.  Under my jeans, they look like ropers, anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keksie said:

I agree and wear one when required.  Thank goodness where we live only one business requires them.  It is nice to hear that around Ft. Lauderdale masks are not a thing since we are going there for an event at the end of February.  Idaho is too far drive for us.  We are researching Gatlinburg for a trip in April.  If anyone has any knowledge about how it is around that area.

I did a day trip through Gatlinburg once.  It sits in a beautiful area.   My property manages several places in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Weaver Valley.   Natural Retreats, if you want to look.

Just when I know I have troubles with Spanish for my housekeepers, my only check-in today is Russian with a very heavy accent!!!!!

• Like 1

Just now, slidergirl said:

I did a day trip through Gatlinburg once.  It sits in a beautiful area.   My property manages several places in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Weaver Valley.   Natural Retreats, if you want to look.

Just when I know I have troubles with Spanish for my housekeepers, my only check-in today is Russian with a very heavy accent!!!!!

Do you know what the mask policy is at those places?  

Accents can be tough.  You don't want to keep asking them to repeat what they said but you need to know what they said.  LOL

My friend's daughter's funeral is set for Friday with the visitation immediately prior. My husband talked to her husband this afternoon and it sounds like they have had visitors in and out all day. I'm sure it's exhausting. I've texted her to remind her to eat, but she didn't respond. I'm sure she's busy "entertaining". Hubby is going to check with her husband and see if we can come visit Wednesday when I'm off work. We won't go if they think it's too much.

On 1/8/2022 at 5:49 PM, slidergirl said:

P is a (mostly) retired nurse, as is her mother.  I've thought about suggesting that she find an agency that specializes in special needs nursing so that she and her husband can build a relationship with a couple of providers so that they would feel comfortable leaving the baby with someone else so they can go out sometimes. (Holy run on sentence)

I received "permission" from my oldest daughter to start skating aging (I have been, on the sly, just not discussing it). She is worried because I fall/trip and injure myself. It felt so good to actually post about it on FB instead of hiding. And I worked my tail off. I'm so excited now and think I'll find my passion again. It's hard to enjoy something you can't really talk about.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Keksie said:

Do you know what the mask policy is at those places?  

Accents can be tough.  You don't want to keep asking them to repeat what they said but you need to know what they said.  LOL

I'm used to it.  I used to work in a department with me, one African-American, and 30 folks from India.  It was a B1tch of a time on conference calls to understand.  

I do not know what the mask policy is anywhere but here in my county.  Idaho in places is as ruby as it can get and are virulent anti-maskers.  

the tough part about the Russians  - one of them decided it would be appropriate to be within 3 feet of me and start coughing.  No mask.  THAT was when I politely pointed out the county mask mandate...

14 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Kat, try French on your Russian check-in. Most Russians speak French

15 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Hey, if I wasn't working, I'd hibernate.  This "O" seems to know no bounds.

Sorry about your son.  Is he able to stay somewhere decent or is he relegated to the "Covid jail"?  The whole asymptomatic thing is what scares me.  No one will know unless they must get a test for something.  If they don't need a test, they just run around spreading the virus.  

Just got home this morning. Son is currently “isolating” in the basement of his ex wife’s house  in Minnesota.  He was able to change his flight to the 12th and is hoping he can test negative, otherwise, he will be spending another week.

Sherri🙂 

Edited by sjb317

3 hours ago, sjb317 said:

Just got home this morning. Son is currently “isolating” in the basement of his ex wife’s house  in Minnesota.  He was able to change his flight to the 12th and is hoping he can test negative, otherwise, he will be spending another week.

Sherri🙂 

bleh, what a mess for him.   

By myself again tonight at work.  My only check in got here at 3:30.  Sneaking on the computer.

I think I have a very nice employer.  I looked at my paycheck and I was paid for the 5 days I was off work!  I'm seasonal so I don't normally get a Paid Time Off.  But, if are out for Covid, you get paid!  

Since I switched days off with my little boss so she can be with friends tomorrow and Thursday, I get a lovely 8 days working in a row.  Ugh.

OOTD:  black Woolx leggings, a lightweight blue, black & white striped tunic shirt.  Pulled out my wool-topped tall black boots to wear with them.  Man, this outfit makes my legs look really long!!

• Like 2

Hi girls, I got my new passport today😃.......it only took 3 weeks!!!  I paid for the "expedited process"  which the website said can take between 5-7 weeks so they are running really fast!!!!!!!!!👍 I am good till 2032!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls, I got my new passport today😃.......it only took 3 weeks!!!  I paid for the "expedited process"  which the website said can take between 5-7 weeks so they are running really fast!!!!!!!!!👍 I am good till 2032!

Nice Lois!   That's so fast!   & I remember you had your almost error of the signature 😁        Ours expire Sept. 2023...  & our global entry expires that year as well....trying to figure out the timing to renew the two so they remain "attached" to one another...  

• Like 1

Good morning, Debbie, yes, you remember correctly.......it was one of those "OMG moments".......and had to go back to the post office to sign the form.  I am so glad I did though. And now I am good until January 2032👍

• Like 2

21 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Nice Lois!   That's so fast!   & I remember you had your almost error of the signature 😁        Ours expire Sept. 2023...  & our global entry expires that year as well....trying to figure out the timing to renew the two so they remain "attached" to one another...  

ours are Sep 24, I’ll be watching your status. 

• Like 1

Allow me to vent:

I spent 3 freakin' hours with my maintenance guy trying to get 2 TVs in 2 units working before the guests check in!!!!  I HATE smart TVs and I HATE Firesticks...   It was just me and him today.  The 2 check ins were supposed to be smooth, since one happens after I leave.  Can hardly wait until we have SIX check ins tomorrow and we have to go inspect those and check all those TVs...

Call me shallow, but if I do something special for a guest two evenings in a row, on my time going home, I would at least expect $5 gratuity.  Either that or I'm hoping your COVID tests show positive and you can't travel or go to whatever sports event you are going to call...

Thank you for allowing me that vent.  

My owner who has the home in Tuscany brought down a box of cherry cordials - yummy!!!  I couldn't resist one.  

On another note:  We're #5!!!  My county now has the #5 amount of COVID cases.  Next county had a death today of an unvaxx'd person.  And, people wonder WHY we advocate for masks and wish we could ask for proof of vaxxing.  Had someone come in today and say thank goodness they came here from Chicago today because we don't ask for anything.  They got a little rude shock when I told them about the mask mandate...

The other 4 are: New York City, Pitkin (Where Aspen is), Miami-Dade (where your cruises are) and Teton (where Jackson Hole is).  Not surprised are ski resort areas - this is what happened before. 

OOTD:  black Woolx legging, teal Athleta hoodie, cheap tall black boots.  

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 2