for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

Hi girls, had the scan this morning.....everything went well. And now the answers should be in on Monday.

I don't remember having a scan like this---maybe many years ago?.......had to drink 32 ounces of liquid. They actually had about 8 flavor choices!  I went with the fruit punch🙂......it tasted like...well, fruit punch LOL. Then they had a hard time finding a vein......(that ALWAYS happens)......I have teenly veins. But everything got done and I feel good so lets hope for good news.

• Like 3

On 2/23/2022 at 6:47 PM, Anita Latte said:

I especially want to forewarn you in the way I was forewarned…women tend to have pelvic pain referred up into the back of the neck area. I actually had severe neck pain following my surgery. Just a heads up there.

This is referred pain from the CO2 used to inflate/distend the abdomen. It's pretty common following most laparoscopic surgery.

I work at an ambulatory surgery center. Our rules are that the patient must have one "adult" present that will be the driver and may not leave the premises while the patient is pre-peri-post op. Someone must stay with the patient for 24 hours post op, also an adult. I know patients lie to us about someone staying with them, but it really is for your own good. You can have allergic or other reactions for up to a week post op. Straight local patient do not receive sedation and may drive themselves.   I work there and my husband wasn't allowed to leave when I had surgery a couple of years ago.  He had to wait in the lobby with the rest of the riffraff. 😆

I know we made and exception to the driver rule one time, pre-approved. The patient's "driver" and responsible party was blind, so they were allowed to call for an Uber or cab, but the responsible party stayed on site.

In other news, I recently underwent topical and blue light therapy on my hands and forearms for precancerous lesions. It was uncomfortable like a sunburn, but I am now three weeks out. All the scabs have fallen off and the skin (especially on my hands) is soft and shiny. The right was far worse than the left. I am wearing long sleeves at work and any time I am outside. I *hate* long sleeves, but will wear them until my follow up. After that I'll become a religious applier of sunscreen on my arms. Did y'all know that fluorescent lights contribute to skin cancer?

• Like 1

I drove myself home from Salt Lake when I had my emergency cryopexy on my right eye.  I think everyone decided that since my left eye was undilated and I had polarized sunglasses, I could do it.  When I had my cataract surgery, I couldn't even Uber home, so they allowed me to stay at the local Sheraton because I had to go back the next morning for a post-op check.   My ortho let me stay an extra day at the hospital when he did my shattered leg.  I could have had my ex drive me home, but the ortho said he'd put "having pain issues" on the chart and let me relax one more day after all the flying and such I did to get to him. 

Waiting for one more guest to arrive.  I KNOW as soon as I go upstairs to empty some trash, he will show up and get upset that I'm not there to greet him.  

OOTD:  I haven't pulled the trigger on that cool Faherty dress yet.  But, the faded railroad stripe overalls on their website yelled to me.  I decided they would be my Valentine present to myself.  I wore them today with one of Madewell Tshirts and an Athleta sweater.  OMG - I LOVE the overalls!!!  And the boss said I can wear them on Fridays.   And, of course, I wore my hi tops.    My French co-worker said I had to take them with me when I go to France this summer!  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

This is referred pain from the CO2 used to inflate/distend the abdomen. It's pretty common following most laparoscopic surgery.

I work at an ambulatory surgery center. Our rules are that the patient must have one "adult" present that will be the driver and may not leave the premises while the patient is pre-peri-post op. Someone must stay with the patient for 24 hours post op, also an adult. I know patients lie to us about someone staying with them, but it really is for your own good. You can have allergic or other reactions for up to a week post op. Straight local patient do not receive sedation and may drive themselves.   I work there and my husband wasn't allowed to leave when I had surgery a couple of years ago.  He had to wait in the lobby with the rest of the riffraff. 😆

I know we made and exception to the driver rule one time, pre-approved. The patient's "driver" and responsible party was blind, so they were allowed to call for an Uber or cab, but the responsible party stayed on site.

In other news, I recently underwent topical and blue light therapy on my hands and forearms for precancerous lesions. It was uncomfortable like a sunburn, but I am now three weeks out. All the scabs have fallen off and the skin (especially on my hands) is soft and shiny. The right was far worse than the left. I am wearing long sleeves at work and any time I am outside. I *hate* long sleeves, but will wear them until my follow up. After that I'll become a religious applier of sunscreen on my arms. Did y'all know that fluorescent lights contribute to skin cancer?

I’m having the blue light therapy next fall. My derm has done the creams, the ‘burning’ & many, many biopsies. I’ve opted to try the blue light as less invasive. I’ve worn sunscreen every day since the 80s. But the damage was already done

My recent outpatient surgery my husband came in with me, they told him he could go get breakfast & be back in an hour if he didn’t want to stay (he was gone like a shot!). My surgery went long (by an hour, the joint was frozen & difficult to remove, I’m still bruised at 3 weeks out, but feeling good). Melody

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I work at an ambulatory surgery center. Our rules are that the patient must have one "adult" present that will be the driver and may not leave the premises while the patient is pre-peri-post op. Someone must stay with the patient for 24 hours post op, also an adult. I know patients lie to us about someone staying with them, but it really is for your own good.

What happens if the patient is a "solo"?  I've wondered about this as I get older. My DS has always been local but who knows what the future will bring in terms of his career?  And I have no other family nearby. (Or for that matter friends that I would feel comfortable asking to wait during surgery and stay with me afterwards....) 

I suppose if it is planned I could make arrangements to have someone come. But if unplanned....?  What does one do?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

What happens if the patient is a "solo"?  I've wondered about this as I get older. My DS has always been local but who knows what the future will bring in terms of his career?  And I have no other family nearby. (Or for that matter friends that I would feel comfortable asking to wait during surgery and stay with me afterwards....) 

I suppose if it is planned I could make arrangements to have someone come. But if unplanned....?  What does one do?

Hi Cynthia, I am always in that predicament. I was supposed to take an Uber. (Well, Z trip) The bottom line was, since I didn't  know the person 121, they had me stay in the hospital overnight so I could actually drive myself home. I honestly don't know what I will do for something that is "major surgery". Will cross that bridge when I get to it.

I decided to use my friend Google and see what comes up under "Senior Transportation"..........a few listings show up.  If/when I have the hysterectomy I will probably have to use a service of some sort.

I will have to do more research.  My other option......I have a long time close friend who lives in south Florida.........she would probably say yes if I asked her to come up here for a couple days and take me and pick me up and stay with me for a day or so............I am so used to do everything on my own, it is hard to ask for help.

• Like 1

Just now, Lois R said:

I decided to use my friend Google and see what comes up under "Senior Transportation"..........a few listings show up.  If/when I have the hysterectomy I will probably have to use a service of some sort.

I will have to do more research.  My other option......I have a long time close friend who lives in south Florida.........she would probably say yes if I asked her to come up here for a couple days and take me and pick me up and stay with me for a day or so............I am so used to do everything on my own, it is hard to ask for help.

Lois,  I agree, it is so hard to ask for help, especially when you're super independent.

I think a good question is;  if this friend reached out to you for same help, would you feel good about going?  I'll bet the answer is yes, not only would you want to, but you'd feel good helping someone you care about.   

my two cents anyhow 🙂

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

Lois,  I agree, it is so hard to ask for help, especially when you're super independent.

I think a good question is;  if this friend reached out to you for same help, would you feel good about going?  I'll bet the answer is yes, not only would you want to, but you'd feel good helping someone you care about.   

my two cents anyhow 🙂

Hi Debbie, 🙂....yes, your answer is correct...........we have been friends since about 2006/2007.......so a good, long time.  It is still hard to ask though...........

• Like 1

Just got back from our cruise, we were off the ship and in our car about 0845, home a little before 12.   Apex is an absolutely beautiful ship and I loved the infinity balcony!  It made the cabin seem quite a bit larger.  And the theater was the most gorgeous one I have ever seen on a cruise ship, the productions were amazing!

For some reason, I could not access Cruise Critic anytime during the cruise, whenever I tried to open the web site, everything looked like hieroglyphics.😂. I did think of you, Lois, and wondered how things went.  Other than the transportation issues and unexpected stay,  I am happy to hear your procedure went well.  Hopefully, you will get good results on Monday and will be cruising soon!  

Cynthia, a very belated but still very Happy Birthday to you!  And congrats on getting the move accomplished, I hope you enjoy living in your new home.

Back to laundry!

Sherri🙂

• Like 3

Hello Lois,

I have some suggestions for you.  I spend months in So. Florida.  There are many ads for home health agencies.  One of the things a lot of the agencies provide is for post surgical care.  There must be home health agencies in your area.  You may be able to hire someone take you to the hospital, wait there and take you home.  That person could spend a couple of nights and depending on how you feel, have someone come in during the day.  You will need help with changing your linens, getting you something to eat and just having someone in the house so you are not alone. As you heal, you can have someone drive you to stores or appointments you  may need to go to.  I see the home health aides here do these sort of things but you could get someone short term.

The second suggestion is contact the social worker at the hospital where you are having the procedure.  I'm sure this situation has come up before.  

I am also in the same boat.  I thought I was going to have an eye procedure and contacted a home health agency.  They were ready to set me up with someone that could drive me, wait at the hospital and stay one night.  I hope these suggestions are helpful to you.  Good luck!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WELDON said:

Hello Lois,

I have some suggestions for you.  I spend months in So. Florida.  There are many ads for home health agencies.  One of the things a lot of the agencies provide is for post surgical care.  There must be home health agencies in your area.  You may be able to hire someone take you to the hospital, wait there and take you home.  That person could spend a couple of nights and depending on how you feel, have someone come in during the day.  You will need help with changing your linens, getting you something to eat and just having someone in the house so you are not alone. As you heal, you can have someone drive you to stores or appointments you  may need to go to.  I see the home health aides here do these sort of things but you could get someone short term.

The second suggestion is contact the social worker at the hospital where you are having the procedure.  I'm sure this situation has come up before.  

I am also in the same boat.  I thought I was going to have an eye procedure and contacted a home health agency.  They were ready to set me up with someone that could drive me, wait at the hospital and stay one night.  I hope these suggestions are helpful to you.  Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. I will think about it.  I am pretty sure my gf would stay with me as I know she can work with a laptop from anywhere.   But I will take it into consideration. It may sound odd, (or maybe not) but I have a hard time with having someone staying with me that I don't know. Not exactly a hard time....maybe I worded it wrong......but not comfortable with it. I would contact the social worker at the hospital though........that might work.......if they could recommend someone at my times(when I would need them)......and as for linens? I live alone and can go 3 weeks before I change them LOL.........

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sjb317 said:

Just got back from our cruise, we were off the ship and in our car about 0845, home a little before 12.   Apex is an absolutely beautiful ship and I loved the infinity balcony!  It made the cabin seem quite a bit larger.  And the theater was the most gorgeous one I have ever seen on a cruise ship, the productions were amazing!

The reaction on the Celebrity boards has been very mixed about those cabins; glad to hear that you liked yours. 

I am pinching myself, hoping that my Silhouette cruise will be a "go" in late April. It is R/T from Southampton with an interesting North Atlantic itinerary that includes a number of French, Spanish and Portuguese ports.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, awhfy said:

Sherry, glad you had such a good time on Apex. Have to be honest, you’re the first person I ‘know’ that has actually liked the infinite balcony!  40 days & we’re on Reflection!!

I walked into the cabin expecting to hate it but instantly fell in love😂.  My husband, on the other hand, turned out to be not too impressed and he was the one who wanted to give it a try in the first place. 

We have ever been on Reflection but I would like to try it sometime.  I like the older ships!

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

Sherri - good on you for a nice little vacation again!  In the Winter, I live vicariously through you all who cruise!  I'm not sure if I'd like the infinite balcony - I have an issue with things that can make me seem like I'm on the edge of something.  Never more than 10 feet at the Grand Canyon, can't do dirt roads on hills with no guardrails, things like that.

I'm all by myself again at work.  One person came up from the Home Office to open until I arrived.  It's a boring day (knock on wood).  One departure and no arrivals.  I did a bunch of work yesterday so I don't have any paperwork or such to do today.  Just listening to my local radio station, reading websites, and drinking water.  The worst day of the week is going to be Thursday, with a shipload of arrivals.  Fortunately, it's my day off 😸  Hard to believe there's only 7 weeks of work left, though.  

OOTD:  wide leg yoga pants and my dark teal Athleta hoodie.  Guess what shoes????😉

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 11:50 AM, cruisemom42 said:

They lie about how long someone stays with them. It's really a safety issue because anesthetic agents can remain in the body for hours after you leave the building.

And it's not just solos. My husband will schedule stuff without talking to me first, then he gets upset when I tell him I'm working those days. Knowing him, he would lie about someone being with him for 24 hours. He actually scheduled his cataract surgery on a week I already have an appointment. I had to finagle an extra day off that week. I can't imagine what he would do if I hadn't been able to do that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sjb317 said:

I walked into the cabin expecting to hate it but instantly fell in love😂.  My husband, on the other hand, turned out to be not too impressed and he was the one who wanted to give it a try in the first place. 

We have ever been on Reflection but I would like to try it sometime.  I like the older ships!

Sherri🙂

Lol. Reflection was the newest until Edge came along. 

I sailed on the Reflection for her 3 day Inaugural.........want to guess how long ago that was?............

It was December 2012! 10 years ago.  She was the last of the "SOLSTICE CLASS".........it was 

Solstice, Equinox, Eclipse and Reflection.  When I sailed with Celebrity I was on all of them at one time or another. 

• Like 1

Hi girls, well, the news is so/so.......nothing that says cancer but the Dr is not happy with the amount of tissue they were able to get (not a lot)....and when I had my CT scan on Friday, something else showed up.........😲 around my right lung.......some fluid and that is not normal and a couple of nodules. So, I need to have another CT Scan of just my lungs.   And she wants me to have a hysterectomy sooner rather than later.

Like in the next few weeks........so my March 30th cruise is a no go...........

What else can go wrong?😧