for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

Never got to the market in Jerusalem as we were staying in Tel Aviv.  I went to the Carmel Market there - oh my the smells of all the offerings.  I was quizzed about the market by the security officer at the airport: "what did you like best" i guess to see if i was actually there.  I replied the strawberries - they were so big, so red, and smelled so good.  

Kat I think you’re talking about the Saldo Zinfandel (bottled by Prisoner). It’s a Napa Valley wine, not Portugal. The Juan Gill red blend is a Spanish red. Both are fabulous 

Fires still present, but mostly under control…we’re safe. Melody

2 hours ago, awhfy said:

Kat I think you’re talking about the Saldo Zinfandel (bottled by Prisoner). It’s a Napa Valley wine, not Portugal. The Juan Gill red blend is a Spanish red. Both are fabulous 

Glad to hear the fire danger is receding and that you're safe. 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, awhfy said:

I was looking for that Silk & Spice Red blend you mentioned.  It is Portuguese.   Even though the one Park City store is also designated as a wine store, the offerings are pretty meager.  I've noticed the international offerings are down and more California stuff is there - supply chain issues maybe.

Melody - good to hear the fires are getting under control around you.  I think any of us near fire-prone areas (my subdivision is surrounded by open space) need to have an evacution list ready of things we must take with us and a "go" bag (I know you have one already).  The one thing i remember from earthquake preparedness was to keep a wrench out at your gas main - turn off as you leave to keep explosions from happening.  

I'm going to our local "Bans Off Our Bodies" rally this afternoon.  Anyone else attending where you live?  

OOTD:  overalls, pink Tshirt, hi-tops.  It's going to be sunny out today, so maybe one of my hats.  

• Like 1

Good Morning Everyone, I have a lot to catch up on now that we are home from our road trip. First of all, Debbie, you look lovely while enjoying your Rome visit. The hat is a perfect style for you.I know that your cruise has started and I hope you are having an awesome time. 

Lois, so glad to hear that your are doing well and can put this behind you, moving forward with your cruise plans.

Melody, that fire was just a little too close to you. Glad you are now safe.

Lois, thanks for the pretty Mothers Day greeting. My day was pretty special this year as I spent it with both of my children, my granddaughter and other family members. Because of distance, a gathering such as this is not easy to arrange so I am very grateful. Oh and we were at the Disneyland Hotel so a beautiful and fun setting too?

We left for So Cal on the previous Friday, spent 2 nights in Corona visiting my sister. On Saturday we drove down to Corona Del Mar and Laguna to enjoy the ocean views and the multi Nmillion dollar homes that overlook the Pacific. Sunday morning we picked up our DS, DIL and GD at LAX, drove to Anaheim and checked in to the Dland Hotel. Met up with our DD and other family remembers for the day. Weather was beautiful. 

We spent the next 3 days at both of the parks. Managed to ride 12 rides the first day utilizing our Genie Plus lightening lane passes and the app to check the wait times, The second and third days were also packed full. Our 14 mo GD loved everything! Rode Small World 4 times! Posed for pictures with Mickey, and just fully enjoyed everything. She won’t remember this visit but we certainly will!

I grew up just a few miles from Disneyland so we went often. I worked there one summer. The Disneyland parks of today are very different and I am not a fan of all the changes. It’s all about the money! While it has always been this but now it is so evident that it is disgusting. We went to Disney World in 2018 and it was expensive but I didn’t feel that they were taking advantage. They have since eliminated so many nice perks or have renamed them and now charging extra where they were included before. The cost to visit Dland or WDW has unfortunately  reached a point that there are those who will never be able to afford to visit. This is a real shame.

OOTD going to wear a Talbots top that I’ve had for a few years but haven’t worn much. Want to see if I can repurpose it a bit and then wear it more often.  It’s royal blue with white embroidery and a tie neck, I’m seeing this style now so time to get it out and see what I can do with it. 
Sharon

• Like 1

Hi Sharon, good to hear from you and it sounds like you had a truly lovely time with your family😃

Glad everyone gets along and it really does sound like you had fun!!!!

• Like 1

Warning:  do not go out to your patio and sit in your lounge chair on a sunny day without full sunscreen!!!  I meant to sit there while i drank my water, not very long.  I ended up falling asleep!!!  As my legs and arms had not seen the sun in probably a year - yikes!!!  I can match my color to any boiled lobster.  

Cynthia - I'm sitting here, munching on those Bamba things - they are really good!!!  Puffy outside and just a smear of what is Nutella-like stuff on the inside.  I can see why they can be dangerous - so light that it doesn't seem like you are eating much!!!

I have my pork ready for tonight.  A small tenderloin.  I'll rub it with Italian spices before I cook it.  I've got a mini-ciabatta ready to put slices on and munch.  

OOTD:  A pair of lightweight leggings (to hide the lobster legs) and one of my SPF running shirts (to hide the lobster arms).  

• Like 1

Going to look for the Bambas when I go to TJ’s.  Interesting that there is a toddler snack by the same name, with p nut butter flavor but no filling. Where should I look for them at TJ’s? Are they in a package or a container? 

Yikes, Kat, sounds like you got quite a sun burn. I remember so many sun burns back in the day before sun screen and then the peeling! Ugh.

39 minutes ago, purduemom1 said:

Going to look for the Bambas when I go to TJ’s.  Interesting that there is a toddler snack by the same name, with p nut butter flavor but no filling. Where should I look for them at TJ’s? Are they in a package or a container? 

I haven't actually seen the new version, but the original variety comes in a bag, like chips or pretzels. They look like this:

image.png.1ee5a307a0dbff6fc55e649e68d2c6f2.png 

I can find the "real thing" at a couple of local grocery stores that are close to a neighborhood with two large Jewish temples. It looks like this:

image.png.57ace5767a33c15c25cbabc023a37163.png

• Like 1

Thanks to both of you for the info.  I’ll let you know if I am successful.  Looking again at the Bamba puffs  that I bought I see that it doesn’t actually say for toddlers and is bag with 10 individual bags.ingredients list says peanut butter, corn grits, sunflower oil and salt. My GD loves them.  I bought them in the baby dept at Target. Who knew?

Edited by purduemom1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, so who watched Stanley last night?.....this episode was so interesting to me..........Anyone want some pork?😃

I was eating my Italian-spiced pork tenderloin on a ciabatta roll while watching.  I have to say it was the best tenderloin i've made.  Grabbed what herbs I had and made a rub (with a little brown sugar to help make a crust).  Seared both sides for about 2 minutes, then into a 400 degree oven for 12 minutes.  Tented it and let it rest for 10 minutes.  It was so freakin' tender!!!  Sliced it up and put on roll with some sage mustard (locally made).  

I really wanted to eat a little of that roasted baby pig - it was such a simple preparation, but looked sooo darn good.  Like the bicerin in Torino, it makes me want to take a daytrip back down to Umbria just to have pig...

Next Sunday is "italian" in London.  hmmm.  What do i do for that?? Fish & chips with italian seasoning???  Sip on a Negroni  (It's made with gin)???

OOTD:  Still leggings and long sleeve T.  The burn doesn' hurt anymore but it looks stupid - front side burned, back side pure white...

• Like 1

I was so excited that he featured Giorgione ("big Giorgio") -- my Italian teacher used his episodes for teaching cooking/food terminology and to help with understanding native speakers. There are lots of episodes on YouTube if you type in "Giorgione Orto e Cucina".

Did anyone besides me think those twin guys at the end were pretty cute and charismatic?  I could see them featured on a show on organic gardening/cooking. (Sort of like an Italian "Property Brothers" -- lol.)

The show airs at 9pm where I am, which is a bit late for dinner for me on a normal night. But I did find  that I had a dried Norcia sausage and some pecorino cheese with truffles, took them outside onto my (little) balcony with some wine, crackers and olives before the show. While I enjoyed the explanation about the bread w/o salt, I'm still not a fan.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 3:26 PM, slidergirl said:

Warning:  do not go out to your patio and sit in your lounge chair on a sunny day without full sunscreen!!!  I meant to sit there while i drank my water, not very long.  I ended up falling asleep!!!  As my legs and arms had not seen the sun in probably a year - yikes!!!  I can match my color to any boiled lobster.  

As a redhead, I can relate. After precancer treatment in February on both my arms, I don't go out without either long sleeves or sunscreen (SPF 9000). I even protect my arms at work--fluorescent lights caused more damage than the sun did.

OOTD #1: Never to be seen out of the house cheer shorts, socks, Keen hiking boots, and a Bass Pro fishing shirt to protect my arms for yard work. I also had OR wide brimmed hat for part of the time until I went inside bushes. I got a lot done, but have more to go. 

OOTD #2:  Clean never to be seen out of the hours cheer shorts and an Athleta tank top. No shoes as I prefer to be barefoot inside.

Edited by PurpleHays
Typo
  • Like 2

On 5/7/2022 at 2:01 PM, slidergirl said:

Unfortunately, 2 doors down from the Italian store is Gigi Pip, the hat store.  Some magnetic force pulled me into the store.  When the force died down, I escaped with another hat and a hatband for another hat I have.

I realize this is a few days after the fact, but do you recall seeing the hat below in Gigi Pip when you were in store?  I'm wondering how lightweight it is -- as you know I'm not a hat wearer, but this one might be tolerable to just pop on when I need sun protection IF it's not the heavy crochet...

image.png.935de27e97e9e718721a49e08e14f23d.png

41 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I realize this is a few days after the fact, but do you recall seeing the hat below in Gigi Pip when you were in store?  I'm wondering how lightweight it is -- as you know I'm not a hat wearer, but this one might be tolerable to just pop on when I need sun protection IF it's not the heavy crochet...

image.png.935de27e97e9e718721a49e08e14f23d.png

Cute hat.  But, I don't remember it.  You can go to the website and have a 'chat' with someone - they are pretty responsive.  My hat, the Arlo, is really, really light.  You can have them compare the weight to it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PurpleHays said:

As a redhead, I can relate. After precancer treatment in February on both my arms, I don't go out without either long sleeves or sunscreen (SPF 9000). I even protect my arms at work--fluorescent lights caused more damage than the sun did.

OOTD #1: Never to be seen out of the house cheer shorts, socks, Keen hiking boots, and a Bass Pro fishing shirt to protect my arms for yard work. I also had OR wide brimmed hat for part of the time until I went inside bushes. I got a lot done, but have more to go. 

OOTD #2:  Clean never to be seen out of the hours cheer shorts and an Athleta tank top. No shoes as I prefer to be barefoot inside.

I was pretty upset at myself. I don't go out there for more then 30 minutes if I'm not set up to do it.  At least I had on my usual moisturizer wih SPF in it - it would not have been a good ending if i was bare-faced like my arms and legs 🙀

• Like 2

I don’t even go upstairs in my house in the morning without my sunscreen. I’ve had so many skin cancers (& I go back for more removals on the 31st). I wear sunscreen under makeup, slather it on hands, arms & legs. I’ve been doing a lot of gardening & I still got a bit pink yesterday with SPF hat, long sleeved SPF shirt, SPF lightweight pants & gobs of sunscreen. I think it’s windburn!!!  Melody

Edited by awhfy
  • Like 2

Reporting on Bamba hunt at TJ’s. They had bags in the chip section with the same ingredients as the bags I purchased in Target’s baby department. However, none with filling. Then there were some above a freezer case and these were half dipped in dark chocolate. They were in a smaller bag and 3 times the price of the plain ones. Unfortunately there were none of the filled ones. Oh well, maybe next time…..

It’s heating up here and a bit windy. Just hope that there are no fires breaking out in the foot hills or mountains. While those fires aren’t an issue for us, smoke and bad air quality is. Unfortunately because we are in a valley, the bad air lingers.

Kat, hope the sun burn is healing.

Melody, good luck with the derm appointment.

Cynthia, that is a cute hat so hope it works for you. I too am not a hat person but sometimes you just need one. Have noticed more women wearing hats now. 
PH, hadn’t thought about fluorescent lights causing damage. That’s not good for those who must work under them.

Hope Debbie and Sherri are enjoying their cruises and that Lois is happily planning out all her adventures. 

OOTD Met friends for breakfast on the patio so dressed up a bit. Also put on makeup.

Sharon

Edited by purduemom1
  • Like 2

Busy day.  First up was a followup with my Nurse Practitioner on my cough.  The 2 nasal sprays dried up my sinuses but didn't help with the cough.  she surprised me when she recognized that some long covid folks are having similar problems and told me to try Zyrtec and then 2 Priliosecs (1 morning, 1 evening).  So i'm going to do that.  She also had a NP intern there and had her do my vitals exam.  She noticed that my thyroid seemed a little large - never found that before.  Strange since all my thyroid tests were normal the other month.  So, she's setting me up with an ENT to have it ultrasounded and scoped out and see if the ENT has any ideas on what is going on.  I just want it over.

Then, over to my hair stylist for taking care of my skunk stripe.  The two of us and another stylist sat and chatted and gossped for a lot longer than usual.  But, the stripe is now colored and all is good.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, purduemom1 said:

PH, hadn’t thought about fluorescent lights causing damage. That’s not good for those who must work under them.

I heard that years ago, but never thought about it until this happened. I expected my left arm to be worse-I mean, it faces the sun when I drive home--but was floored when the right was far worse. It ha huge lesions and my hand swelled up like a balloon. Then I was at work one day,  looked down at my crossed arms, and noticed the right was on top. 💡 Thirty plus years of crossing right over left caused the damage. Now, I either use sunscreen or a jacket, depending on my assignment.

Wear sunscreen, folks.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I heard that years ago, but never thought about it until this happened. I expected my left arm to be worse-I mean, it faces the sun when I drive home--but was floored when the right was far worse. It ha huge lesions and my hand swelled up like a balloon. Then I was at work one day,  looked down at my crossed arms, and noticed the right was on top. 💡 Thirty plus years of crossing right over left caused the damage. Now, I either use sunscreen or a jacket, depending on my assignment.

Wear sunscreen, folks.

I never thought of those lights, either.  I do know at one place I worked,  3 people were crammed into a little room for phone Butler duty.  The lights were brutal.  I had maintenance come and remove half the tubes - made it much more tolerable, vision-wise.  Wearing a uniform at the time, so arms were covered.  I think that was the only place i worked under flourescent lights.  

My red is dissipating.  I won't make that mistake again.   i put my sunscreen on my body before I dress or put on my bathing suit so i have less an option of missing a spot.  

• Like 1