SS Norway

mkcurran

My wife and I sailed on the Norway, and still consider it one of the best, out of over 25 cruises.  Loved the promenade deck.  We splurged for a balcony suite.  There were only a few of them.  NCL was one of the first to have a specialty restaurant, and if I recall, it was free.  Think it was LeBistro.  Had incredible mushroom soup in a bread bowl.  Whole cruise was great.  Awesome ship!

• Like 2

Wow, does that bring back memories!  We sailed on her back in 1989.  We could only afford an inside closet, er, cabin, but boy did we feel like royalty.  I can remember the tender had to "hit the beach" on St. Maarten  because their was no dock.  We stormed the beach like Marines.  I remember that passengers bought so much booze in St. Thomas that they had to send a life boat to bring it back to the ship.  The crew line the promenade and slide the boxes on the floor until the got to the door nearest the cabin it was to go to.

• Like 1

Those were the days my friends we thought they'd never end!

My husband was one of the ship's doctors around 1994 and 1995.  At that time one of the perks to keep the doctors on for 4 months at a time was  the wife could go along too.  It was great!!!!!  I have lots of wonderful memories of the crew as well as some of the passengers.  We were a great family.  At that time we traveled only in the Caribbean.

I have a beautiful photo of the SS Norway framed on my wall to remind me of those days.  So sorry when she was sent away to be lost forever.

Take care,

happytotravel

Edited by happytotravel
re worded a sentence
  • Like 3

my very first cruise  (1988) and my honeymoon cruise (1995).  I used to drive across the McArthur Causeway in Miami on weekends just so I could see her docked.  And then, that awful day........

gold Norway photo.jpeg

norway herald.jpeg

Norway 2008 Miami Herald.jpeg

Edited by Diver2014
  • Like 3

Like many others, our first cruise was on the Norway.  Assigned seating in the dining room for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.   No buffet in the evenings.  Dinner jackets and gowns on formal night.   Skeet shooting off the fantail!   Le Bistro was $5.00!!

Such a sad ending for a remarkable ship.

11.JPG

14.JPG

19.JPG

the International deck.jpg

tiny cabin V010.jpg

• Like 4

My wife and I were on the Norway the week before the accident. It was one of the best cruises that we have every had. We had a penthouse suite and it was great. back then you could order almost anything from room service. No charge.

• Like 1

Last year I did a lot of research on the Norway and found a lot of resource, here is my collection, I hope you enjoy it.

All of the material is from the last TA which left Miami and then New York days before 9/11

This is a great read with pictures of the last TA.

https://malcolmoliver.wordpress.com/ss-norway-review/

And this is a great video of the same TA, this really is worth a watch:

The welcome aboard daily from the same TA:

http://data.over-blog-kiwi.com/0/99/79/44/20161124/ob_14739b_ss-norway-cruise-news-august-26-2001.pdf

This is a great list of dailys, tickets, postcards etc etc, in french or Google translated if needed.

French: http://www.paquebots.net/article-paquebot-norway-2001-les-faux-adieux-83326550.html

Google translated to English: https://*****.com/wpdpk38

This is a fantastic account (13 page log) of the journey, unfortunatly the website is now lost and the only way to see it is through WayBackMachine, take a look while you still can you won't regret it:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040316085404/http://www.thewaywewent.com/nor_1.html

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 2

I loved that ship.  My first cruise was on the Norway, in 1999.  I loved the promenade, and club internationale.  And so much more.  Loved the dining room, and the food on board in general was very good.  Room was comfortable and I remember sleeping like a baby in that bed.  The ship would rock gently at night.  I was so sad when the ship came to such a sad end.  But I just try to keep my fond memories of that classic ocean liner, and so glad I took that cruise.

• Like 1

It had the craziest deck plans.    Irregularly shaped cabins arranged every which way and unusual ones like these inside cabins that had a window looking out to a passageway that had a porthole.   It was a great ship for exploring!

norway20.jpg

Edited by Joanne G.
  • Like 3

the cabin I had with my parents was a cabin for three.  Three single beds, arranged haphazardly, three port hole windows, and it was located just behind, a few steps down the hall behind Sven's ice cream parlor.  down a ways, turned right, and down a short walk way to our cabin and another next to us, and across from us.  Loved the room, best cruise ship I have ever had.  Have done one Celebrity, and 8 Carnival after that first cruise, and though some of them were comfy beds, the Norway's was the best!

• Like 2