Cash Back Refund vs Future Travel Credit...

NavyCruiser

Our upcoming European River cruise this month was cancelled by the cruise company.

Since we did not cancel on our own, but cruise was cancelled by the cruise company & they only offered 100% future travel credit.

Does anyone know if we're stuck with that policy, or any legal recourse to possibly require them to pay us back 100% cash back refund instead?

We understand that this is a river cruise company & not the larger ocean cruise companies who did offer both options.

Thanks,

2 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Our upcoming European River cruise this month was cancelled by the cruise company.

Since we did not cancel on our own, but cruise was cancelled by the cruise company & they only offered 100% future travel credit.

Does anyone know if we're stuck with that policy, or any legal recourse to possibly require them to pay us back 100% cash back refund instead?

We understand that this is a river cruise company & not the larger ocean cruise companies who did offer both options.

Thanks,

Hi, who is the company? Every one seems to have their own policy but after reading many threads, I have seen

both options offered. I am getting a full refund. I have already received 50% back to my VISA. Just waiting for the

last 50.   But I don't know if you would have legal recourse---did you buy insurance?

48 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Gate 1 Travel.

Didn't buy insurance since trip is in 2 days, March 21, & we were planning to go...

You could call and ask for a Manager and see if they are updating any of their rules due to this new world

environment.

Yes, we're going to wait a few days/weeks to call back to talk to a Supervisor, maybe all the way up to the Owner.

During the meantime, doing research about other ocean cruise lines giving 125% up to 200% future travel credits, in addition to 100% full cash refund back...

I think you need to review the River cruise line terms and conditions/cruise contract. Cruise lines typically don’t give a cash refund UNLESS they cancel. And that is extremely rare. Many are saying “We cancelled and you can rebook, etc.” and are not letting people know they have the option of a refund.  It’s in the fine print of the terms and conditions. They’d obviously like to keep the money so are not presenting that option. It depends on the cruise line. 

In some ways you are fortunate because your trip was imminent so they have cancelled. For those of us traveling after April 30 it’s a prickly situation. Cancellations have not happened yet.

FYI,  For the person who asked about trip insurance, it doesn’t cover pandemics. It only covers “named” events and pandemics hasn’t been named in the past. 

Good luck and keep us posted.

I agree with Herman, you have to read the terms & conditions in your cruise contract.  Unless there is a law in your state saying that they have to give a cash credit, they would be under no obligation to do so.  

As of now, as far as I know Canada has no legislation covering cruises.  If an airline cancels a flight, then yes, they are mandated to provide a credit back to however the payment was made (ie - credit card), however that doesn't stop them from offering credits for future flights.  We do have the right to request the "cash" credit.

River cruise companies in no way compare to ocean cruises, so they get to make their own rules.  Could you imagine a big ocean cruise line demanding payment in full 30 days after booking even if you are booking a year in advance?  That is what Viking River cruise wants and gets, so you just can't compare the two.  Any "bonus" credit on top is also totally up to the individual line, which is why some river lines are offering one, whereas others are not.

Just now, Ride-The-Waves said:

Some of these companies, to include travel agencies, will likely be "restructuring" before restarting operations.  You could easily lose FCC in any restructuring scenario as creditors will have first pick of monies...  Take the cash now!

Note that I'm stuck in the same situation.  Uniworld has rescheduled us for two-weeks in France in May 2021.  Only option they offered.  Thats about $20K of FCC they will hold for over a year!  Thirty percent of airfare was lost when trip was canceled and American Airlines refused to accommodate new flights (they would not accommodate anything beyond Feb 2021).  That was an additional $1,800 hit.  Obviously will never travel American Airlines again.  Not sure what will happen if either we are not able to travel in May 2021 from either COVID-19 related concerns or health limitations as we are in or mid/late 70s.

I'm in Australia and dealing with an Australian company. Several times over the past 4 weeks they have changed their terms and conditions re cancelling and rebooking. Most frustrating. From midnight tonight, Australian time there is a travel ban being enforced which prohibits Australians travelling overseas. I am still awaiting word from my cruise company that my cruise has been cancelled. Their T&C state that in the event of cancellation by them, they have the option of reschedule or refund. We don't get to choose, they do.

46 minutes ago, Mo52 said:

I'm in Australia and dealing with an Australian company. Several times over the past 4 weeks they have changed their terms and conditions re cancelling and rebooking. Most frustrating. From midnight tonight, Australian time there is a travel ban being enforced which prohibits Australians travelling overseas. I am still awaiting word from my cruise company that my cruise has been cancelled. Their T&C state that in the event of cancellation by them, they have the option of reschedule or refund. We don't get to choose, they do.

Is this Scenic or another Australian cruise line?

APT, another Australian company. My travel agent has just notified me that the cruise is cancelled and they are offering credit for travel in 2021. I would rather a refund. I communicated my concerns to APT in February and I was told that one of the options available to me is a full refund. I sent a copy of the email from APT to my travel agent. Hoping to hear back.

Cruise lines all around the world – ocean and river – are changing their terms to eliminate cash-back options.  And insurance companies are finding ways not to pay out when that happens.  That's just how it is.

our barge trip with Road Scholar in May was cancelled. They gave us the option of FCC or cash back.  We wanted to leave our deposit but take the final payment as a refund.  They said too complicated, so refund is being posted. We will cruise next year if the trip is offered.  If not there is a barge trip on the Moselle calling.  Stay well and safe.  Pat

Our Uniworld European cruise scheduled on Apr 25 was just cancelled.  Has anyone received a full refund?  Discussions with Uniworld thus far have been confusing and inconsistent.  FCC calculations have resulted in three different amounts and further complicated with applying and not applying $450 per person airline fee.  

7 minutes ago, kc10040 said:

Our Uniworld European cruise scheduled on Apr 25 was just cancelled.  Has anyone received a full refund?  Discussions with Uniworld thus far have been confusing and inconsistent.  FCC calculations have resulted in three different amounts and further complicated with applying and not applying $450 per person airline fee.  

My cruise was to leave tomorrow.  I initially call my TA on a monday when uniworld announced that you could get a FCC but would have to pay the $450 airline fee.  2 days later they announced that the cruise was completely cancelled. So I called uniworld direct and requested a fund instead of a credit.  I was told I would get a full refund and not be charged the $450.  I booked private insurance but my parents took the uniworld insurance and was told they would get their money back for that.  So it's been 2 1/2 weeks and no refund yet.  I was told it would take 2 weeks. I emailed also and was told it would be 3-4 weeks for the refund. I also asked the exact amount of our refund but the person I spoke with wouldn't tell me.

I'm trying to be really patient because I know this is a difficulty situation.  If I could have something in writing guaranteeing a full refund I would be ok with waiting.  All I have is someone telling me over the phone.  So, I'm trying to wait until friday to call and see if a refund shows up by then.  

Just called Gate1Travel, no wait.  Rep was extremely nice.  They've worked it out with the airlines, now were able to fully Refund our entire 100% of river cruise & airfare back to our credit cards.  But it'll take 3 - 4 weeks.  Fine with us...

• Like 1