P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Twogreynomads said:

FANTASY IBERIA CRUISE DAY 1

A quiet start to our cruise. We slept well and you could hardly tell we were moving.These ships are so smooth.

A leisurely start this morning. We went to the MDR and I ordered the P&O breakfast but all I got was a Weetabix!

It is St Peter Port today but the Captain has announced that it is too rough for the tenders so we must wait. No change there as in six attempts we have never got off there for real. Had a walk around and there is a large queue at the Future Cruise desk. I do not know if they are booking cruises or trying to get help with their refunds. Oh well the bar is open so a pre lunch drink is called for.

They are queuing to have the tips removed... They got so used to it previously, they forgot they are now included. 

Or perhaps its the drinks package queue... 

Andy 

• Like 1

Well I’ve just watched the FMs daily briefing and we are clearly going to be in lockdown for longer, up here at least. Depressing but not unexpected.

Second paper published for the public about track and trace, for consideration.

Feels like this is going on forever. At least I’m still healthy for the moment so thankful for small mercies.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

They are queuing to have the tips removed... They got so used to it previously, they forgot they are now included. 

Or perhaps its the drinks package queue... 

Andy 

Refund queue!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Refund queue!

You've  totally  lost me mercury 😞.  

The sun's struggling to come out here at the moment after this mornings rain. It's cool too. I don’t know where this weekend's heatwave went but it missed Barnsley completely. Supposed to be better tomorrow but we'll see.

With all this talk about relaxing lockdown and social distancing I'm not sure I'm too comfortable with it. Our cases here are still rising albeit more slowly. I shall be very wary about going out now and it will take some getting used to being around other people again. 

Avril 

30 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

The sun's struggling to come out here at the moment after this mornings rain. It's cool too. I don’t know where this weekend's heatwave went but it missed Barnsley completely. Supposed to be better tomorrow but we'll see.

With all this talk about relaxing lockdown and social distancing I'm not sure I'm too comfortable with it. Our cases here are still rising albeit more slowly. I shall be very wary about going out now and it will take some getting used to being around other people again. 

Avril 

Talking of Barnsley, is it the custom to eat pancakes with gravy, as in a lot of Yorkshire?  Might sound odd to southerners, but it's no different from Yorkshire pudding with gravy really.

Yorkshire puddings with jam or syrup too, I believe?  Quite normal to us as kids, but maybe odd to southerners?

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

Talking of Barnsley, is it the custom to eat pancakes with gravy, as in a lot of Yorkshire?  Might sound odd to southerners, but it's no different from Yorkshire pudding with gravy really.

Yorkshire puddings with jam or syrup too, I believe?  Quite normal to us as kids, but maybe odd to southerners?

we have had pancakes with mince stew (mince in gravy basically)

also jam on York puds. 

we also used to have a Christmas curry in York pud on Boxing Day for a lot of years. 

basically everything you didn’t eat from Xmas dinner into a curry sauce. Inside a massive Yorkshire pud. Was lovely but the kids are not fusses for curry

23 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

we have had pancakes with mince stew (mince in gravy basically)

also jam on York puds. 

we also used to have a Christmas curry in York pud on Boxing Day for a lot of years. 

basically everything you didn’t eat from Xmas dinner into a curry sauce. Inside a massive Yorkshire pud. Was lovely but the kids are not fusses for curry

Good solid Yorkshire stuff!  🙂

12 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Corned beef hash and pancakes Harry 😋. Nothing like it. When I make a beef stew  and dumpligs for dinner if there's anything left we have it for lunch the following afternoon with pancakes. This brings back memories of when I was young and mum usad to make little Yorkshire puddings in bun tins. She put 2 or 3 on my plate and fill them with the vegetables.

Avril 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Corned beef hash and pancakes Harry 😋. Nothing like it. When I make a beef stew  and dumpligs for dinner if there's anything left we have it for lunch the following afternoon with pancakes. This brings back memories of when I was young and mum usad to make little Yorkshire puddings in bun tins. She put 2 or 3 on my plate and fill them with the vegetables.

Avril 

tried to make a American corned beef hash once (hubby’s idea)

we burnt it. Ended up with a takeaway

• Haha 2

Sometimes just for a change we used to get the kids off to school and if I wasn't working ,

we would have a run over to Barnsley market . Brilliant meat market in there .

What we liked was going upstairs into the cafe and having a dinner and a mug of tea.

The home made steak pie was to die for but if we went in the winter months then our

choice would be a deep bowl with said pie in it, submerged in mushy peas . Heaven !

I think the cafe was called Oldfields ?? Most likely a bygone treasure from Barnsley's past now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kalos said:

Sometimes just for a change we used to get the kids off to school and if I wasn't working ,

What we liked was going upstairs into the cafe and having a dinner and a mug of tea.

The home made steak pie was to die for but if we went in the winter months then our

choice would be a deep bowl with said pie in it, submerged in mushy peas . Heaven !

I think the cafe was called Oldfields ?? Most likely a bygone treasure from Barnsley's past now.

most town centres are a thing of the past  The outlets type places are better now. I still miss Parkgate. 

one I went to growing up was great. It’s awful now and wouldn’t ever let my kids go there. 

the new town we have moved to it’s like walking back into the past. It was so weird moving here and actually having a town centre. Not that I ever really go there. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

Avril

Andy, mentally discovered a queue on his fantasy cruise, he suggested it might be the tips queue or drinks package queue, but I offered up another possibility! I agree with you, we are not going out again, for some time.

Both high risk, and me also full time carer.We are very lucky, with our Village Volunteer, who does our shopping, not sure what we would have done with out her.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, kalos said:

It's still there kalos. A bit posher but still  serving the same types of food. It's upstairs in the new market kitchen. It's definitely gone upmarket now. pun intended  😂😂😂 

Avril 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

tried to make a American corned beef hash once (hubby’s idea)

we burnt it. Ended up with a takeaway

American corned beef hash is as far removed from Yorkshire corned beef hash as American apple pie to British. No comparison. My daughter makes the American one and I keep telling her to check her birth certificate and see where she was born 😆.

Avril 

29 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Avril

Andy, mentally discovered a queue on his fantasy cruise, he suggested it might be the tips queue or drinks package queue, but I offered up another possibility! I agree with you, we are not going out again, for some time.

Both high risk, and me also full time carer.We are very lucky, with our Village Volunteer, who does our shopping, not sure what we would have done with out her.

I'm over 70 with no serious medical issues other a high BP and asthma. However I really don't feel confident enough to go out yet, and I'm sure I'm not going to be the only one either.

I remember the issues you were having earlier on in March with your shopping and I'm so pleased that it's been sorted. There are some kind and thoughtful people around. My neighbour is 90 and I've  had a regular recurring delivery slot from Asda for a long time now. Every week she gives me her order and I add it to mine. When it comes my grandson puts in on her front step and walks away so she can bring it in. We all do what we can to help others. The financial side's a bit complicated but its working.

Keep well.

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I had the best of both worlds.Dad was a Londoner,Mum was Yorkshire.Dad used to cook the Sunday roast and quite often cooked a huge Yorky with jam on for afters.He adopted some of the Yorkshire quisine.

Edited by brian1
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

Hi Avril,we found out my OH's Nephew has just got over the virus.He stayed at home and didn't need hospital.He is a market security guy at Walthamstow,which is still open.A recipe for disaster.Our friends from Boston,Lincs run veggy stalls at a few London markets, again they are still open.Hope it's more sensible in your area,stay well,Brian.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kalos said:

My mum used to take us to Barnsley market when we were kids , always remember the pot & plates man (was he called Edwards ?) juggling plates as he gave his pitch .

Plus the Policeman with the Large handlebar moustache .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

Hi Avril,we found out my OH's Nephew has just got over the virus.He stayed at home and didn't need hospital.He is a market security guy at Walthamstow,which is still open.A recipe for disaster.Our friends from Boston,Lincs run veggy stalls at a few London markets, again they are still open.Hope it's more sensible in your area,stay well,Brian.

Both our grandsons live with us and are back at B&Q. David who is a keep fit fanatic and built like brick you-know-what, is a queue marshal. No idea why they put him on that job😆. Joe works 5pm to 9pm when the stores closed restocking. Dave.has all kinds of stories to tell when he comes home about the covidiots. So no Brian, it's no better here. I understand you're slowly coming out of lockdown in Italy according to UK news. I hope it all goes well. Keep safe.

Avril 

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Both our grandsons live with us and are back at B&Q. David who is a keep fit fanatic and built like brick you-know-what, is a queue marshal. No idea why they put him on that job😆. Joe works 5pm to 9pm when the stores closed restocking. Dave.has all kinds of stories to tell when he comes home about the covidiots. So no Brian, it's no better here. I understand you're slowly coming out of lockdown in Italy according to UK news. I hope it all goes well. Keep safe.

Avril 

In a way,it's worse,we can go for longer walks but have to wear masks everywhere.The state have issued loads to chemists and supermarkets to sell at 50c each,but they are all sold out.When I mentioned it to our lovely neighbour,within an hour she came round with 2 homemade ones run up on her sewing machine.A lot of people here are like that.Salvatore who runs the local bar has been doing it up and don't expect business to pick up until June.Even with 2 outside tables allowed,people are too scared to come.Ironicly,the only person who has tested positive recently in our village has just returned from a Costa cruise ship,lol.Don't know if she is crew or passenger.Keep safe also.Brian.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JB9302 said:

My mum used to take us to Barnsley market when we were kids , always remember the pot & plates man (was he called Edwards ?) juggling plates as he gave his pitch .

Plus the Policeman with the Large handlebar moustache .

You're right. It was Joe Edwards. I used to go shopping every  week with mum and she always took me to watch him before we went home. The policeman with the big moustache was always directing traffic near the markets. You don't see characters like that now. Sadly gone.

Avril 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, brian1 said:

In a way,it's worse,we can go for longer walks but have to wear masks everywhere.The state have issued loads to chemists and supermarkets to sell at 50c each,but they are all sold out.When I mentioned it to our lovely neighbour,within an hour she came round with 2 homemade ones run up on her sewing machine.A lot of people here are like that.Salvatore who runs the local bar has been doing it up and don't expect business to pick up until June.Even with 2 outside tables allowed,people are too scared to come.Ironicly,the only person who has tested positive recently in our village has just returned from a Costa cruise ship,lol.Don't know if she is crew or passenger.Keep safe also.Brian.

I'm glad your nephews doing alright. We're waiting for the results from my grandaughter's covid test. She's a nurse at Pinderfields hospital in Wakefield. She has some symptoms but doesn't feel ill so fingers crossed. I know we're all wanting life to return to normal but it can't be rushed. Baby steps. Both of you take care and look after your puppy ☺

Keep safe.

Avril 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

You're right. It was Joe Edwards. I used to go shopping every  week with mum and she always took me to watch him before we went home. The policeman with the big moustache was always directing traffic near the markets. You don't see characters like that now. Sadly gone.

Avril 

Also you could buy cheap tin good's on the market on Mondays, and pie and peas for lunch.

1 hour ago, bobupandown said:

Also you could buy cheap tin good's on the market on Mondays, and pie and peas for lunch.

Hi bob. Where have you been hiding? I hope you're both well. 

Unfortunately the market isn't anything like that now. It used to be a real market. Now it's just inside stalls. No atmosphere any more.

Avril 

• Like 1