P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Live in Staffordshire and have never been to Whitby but for some reason wife keeps on pestering me to go I have no idea why. Even more so I have never visited Yorkshire either.

York and Harrogate are lovely and definitely worth a visit.We have been to Scarborough before but are looking forward to discovering the coastline around Whitby, particularly Robin Hoods Bay and Sandsend.There are some lovely coastal walks and my husband wants to visit Eden Camp museum on the way. We are trying to visit areas of the UK that we have'nt previously visited whilst unable to cruise and we thought we may as well start close to home.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ann141 said:

York and Harrogate are lovely and definitely worth a visit.We have been to Scarborough before but are looking forward to discovering the coastline around Whitby, particularly Robin Hoods Bay and Sandsend.There are some lovely coastal walks and my husband wants to visit Eden Camp museum on the way. We are trying to visit areas of the UK that we have'nt previously visited whilst unable to cruise and we thought we may as well start close to home.

Eden camp is very interesting. We visited on the way to Pickering War Weekend. There are some fascinating things to see and Frank loved the submarine with the sound effects and depth charges. I liked the re-creation of a street during the war and wandering past the houses. Give yourself plenty of time, there's a lot to see.

Avril

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Eden camp is very interesting. We visited on the way to Pickering War Weekend. There are some fascinating things to see and Frank loved the submarine with the sound effects and depth charges. I liked the re-creation of a street during the war and wandering past the houses. Give yourself plenty of time, there's a lot to see.

Avril

The North Yorkshire Railway runs from Pickering.

Lovely old steam driven carriages.

Flamingoland is a couple of miles away and you pass it on the way to Eden Prisoner of war camp.

Graham.

Screenshot_20200824_114747_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, ann141 said:

Carry on along the coast north from Sandsend to Saltburn,Marske and Redcar.

Guisborough is about 18 miles from Whitby and a nice market town.

Goathland is just off the Whitby to Pickering road and this is where 

Heartbeat was filmed.

Graham.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Heartbeat was filmed.

Graham.

Also Grosmont, that were the Engine sheds are if you are interested in steam engines.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Heartbeat was filmed.

Graham.

1 hour ago, Bloodaxe said:

Also Grosmont, that were the Engine sheds are if you are interested in steam engines.

Thank you for your suggestions 🙂 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ann141 said:

Just my twopen'orth I think Eden camp is totally boring. I've been a few times taking school children and it's definitely not for me. The last time was quite memorable though. At the end there is a sing song, You've guessed it Vera Lynn. Anyway the place is packed with pensioners and our lot who the music teacher has taught all the songs. The oldies were delighted to hear all these 8-10 year olds belt out the songs.

Anyway you're husband might enjoy it. Mine loved the Viking museum.....another I wasn't impressed with!

Enjoy your holiday.

49 minutes ago, happy v said:

Just my twopen'orth I think Eden camp is totally boring. I've been a few times taking school children and it's definitely not for me. The last time was quite memorable though. At the end there is a sing song, You've guessed it Vera Lynn. Anyway the place is packed with pensioners and our lot who the music teacher has taught all the songs. The oldies were delighted to hear all these 8-10 year olds belt out the songs.

Anyway you're husband might enjoy it. Mine loved the Viking museum.....another I wasn't impressed with!

Enjoy your holiday.

Thank you. I'm sure you are correct that my hubby will probably enjoy Eden Camp more than I will but there will be other aspects of our holiday that I enjoy more than him. If I am not as interested in a museum as much as my husband is I tend to have a quick look round and tell him I will meet him later in the coffee shop!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Thank you. I'm sure you are correct that my hubby will probably enjoy Eden Camp more than I will but there will be other aspects of our holiday that I enjoy more than him. If I am not as interested in a museum as much as my husband is I tend to have a quick look round and tell him I will meet him later in the coffee shop!!

Or, just the shop!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ann141 said:

We took Pauline's late dad(DLI army)and late mam a couple of times to Eden camp and enjoyed it.

Helmsley is a pretty town.

Thirsk is a nice market town.

York Minster and the Shambles street are a must see.

York Designer Outlet where the A64 and A19 meet is one of the best outlets and a favourite of ours with shops including

Ted Baker 

Joules.

Ralph Lauren.

Hobbs

Ben Sherman

M&S.

Starbucks 

And many more brand name shops in an indoor setting.

• Like 2

Hey Sis,another for "Avril's Italian cook book".Courgette flowers stuffed with ham and mozz,fried in a very light batter.Courtesy of our lovely neighbour brought round hot at lunchtime.This lady  dogsat our "Tommy" last week while the family was over.We try and catch up with reciprocation but it is hard sometimes,cheers,Bro.20200824_113415.thumb.jpg.e0c4415e8d0bf27ae01499b79d4d5d1d.jpg

Edited by brian1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, brian1 said:

Last dinner before the family  flew home last week.20200819_181208.thumb.jpg.33d978efb0a5b58442eb45f5c23a5da5.jpg

You have a lovely family. I'm sure  you all had a wonderful time together. I'm surprised they went home, it looks lovely and peaceful where you are. You would have had to hog-tie me and stuff me in a case.😁

Sis

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

You have a lovely family. I'm sure  you all had a wonderful time together. I'm surprised they went home, it looks lovely and peaceful where you are. You would have had to hog-tie me and stuff me in a case.😁

Sis

Cheers Sis,this place is 200m inland but is the best for food.We order off menu in advance sometimes and where all the others shut down in Sept,this place is open all year.In Oct we are the only ones there on a Friday night.Cheers,Bro.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Hey Sis,another for "Aviril's Italian cook book".Courgette flowers stuffed with ham and mozz,fried in a very light batter.Courtesy of our lovely neighbour brought round hot at lunchtime.This lady  dogsat our "Tommy" last week while the family was over.We try and catch up with reciprocation but it is hard sometimes,cheers,Bro.20200824_113415.thumb.jpg.e0c4415e8d0bf27ae01499b79d4d5d1d.jpg

That looks interesting. I shall have to give them a try. I have so many flowers on the plants that I keep pulling them off and throwing  them away otherwise we'd be inundated with courgettes. 

Sis

3 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Cheers Sis,this place is 200m inland but is the best for food.We order off menu in advance sometimes and where all the others shut down in Sept,this place is open all year.In Oct we are the only ones there on a Friday night.Cheers,Bro.

It sounds idyllic. I'm surprised you ever come back here. I know I wouldn't.

Sis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Sis

What a really nice picture.

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It sounds idyllic. I'm surprised you ever come back here. I know I wouldn't.

Sis

It can be unpredictable from Sept onwards with sometimes violent storms ,even sunbathing New Years day but freezing with heating on in evening.

20 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That looks interesting. I shall have to give them a try. I have so many flowers on the plants that I keep pulling them off and throwing  them away otherwise we'd be inundated with courgettes. 

Sis

They don't waste a thing here but these are classic,give them a try.

13 minutes ago, brian1 said:

It can be unpredictable from Sept onwards with sometimes violent storms ,even sunbathing New Years day but freezing with heating on in evening.

Not too dissimilar than here then😉. It's not the weather that attracts me though, it's the lifestyle. A bit like an Italian 'Good Life'.

Sis

• Like 1