P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

DW puts her loose change in a pot. My credit card was due and She wanted to pay her change into the bank......can I help?. Yes we want to pay some money in and pay a cc bill. You can do that at the machine,  would you like me to show you how ?....yes please, I don't know how to pay £60 in loose change into the machine....I will need to do that at the counter.  If you're going to the counter, you can do my cc bill as well can't you?.

Zap & DW.  2

Bank.          0

🤣

Don’t feel smug for too long. Our bank now has a machine to count the coins as well. We dumped the contents of our Bertie Basset which all the small change goes into and it paid it straight into our account (minus the couple of euros it spat back out at us).

I am however with you, they should still provide counter service rather than force people to use machines.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Zap & DW.  2

Bank.          0

🤣

Other week we had text "card gone over"  due to ships medical issues "pay us summat !"

Went to bank that I have c card with  .. Them "We cannot take your bank card for payment 

but you can pay cash and  you can take the money out of our robot machines and give the cash to us at our one and only counter with a person behind it " 😒 There is a queue so may wait a bit to get served . So trotted over to said machine grabbed money and stood in turn ,thinking happy thoughts of when I used to call in at my bank before they shut it forever.

I didn't mind going to town that day as I have free parking due to my medical issues .

So I think seeing the bank got money and my parking was nowt ..We will call that one a draw 😅

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Don’t feel smug for too long. Our bank now has a machine to count the coins as well. We dumped the contents of our Bertie Basset which all the small change goes into and it paid it straight into our account (minus the couple of euros it spat back out at us).

I am however with you, they should still provide counter service rather than force people to use machines.

Thanks. Something else for the Christmas list.

Bertie Bassets.🤣

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, kalos said:

Other week we had text "card gone over"  due to ships medical issues "pay us summat !"

Went to bank that I have c card with  .. Them "We cannot take your bank card for payment 

but you can pay cash and  you can take the money out of our robot machines and give the cash to us at our one and only counter with a person behind it " 😒 There is a queue so may wait a bit to get served . So trotted over to said machine grabbed money and stood in turn ,thinking happy thoughts of when I used to call in at my bank before they shut it forever.

I didn't mind going to town that day as I have free parking due to my medical issues .

So I think seeing the bank got money and my parking was nowt ..We will call that one a draw 😅

DW got some presents from M&S. I said I'll have a wander around the food hall and meet you in the new Danish shop. Sostrene Grene ( predictive had fun with that ). I thought " I could have had a trip to the Amazon site, but it's not the same is it. The Carol singing reindeer were working, but Santa's had gone to lunch......I quite enjoy Christmas🎅

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

I love those machines! My OH runs a football side and the lads all pay in cash.  Strangely no one ever puts a note in and I had the dubious honour of counting and bagging it every month. The bank my OH uses doesn't have the counting machine so I take the money to my own bank and get it put in my account and then do a quick transfer to the other bank.  It saves me a good hour of huffing and puffing and double checking.

And for good measure I'm being good and visiting two banks to keep them open.  Actually we're very lucky as every major bank has a branch open here, we only lost TSB and RBS (the latter we can use Natwest for though so not a real loss). I think we are a very rare animal now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

DW puts her loose change in a pot. My credit card was due and She wanted to pay her change into the bank......can I help?. Yes we want to pay some money in and pay a cc bill. You can do that at the machine,  would you like me to show you how ?....yes please, I don't know how to pay £60 in loose change into the machine....I will need to do that at the counter.  If you're going to the counter, you can do my cc bill as well can't you?.

Zap & DW.  2

Bank.          0

🤣

I hope you bagged up the money for them so that it could be weighed.  I worked in the banking industry for 40 years, and in my cashiering days the only customers that were universally reviled were those who paid in large amounts of coin which was not properly bagged. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

That's brilliant

Our local Sainsbury's had a coin counting machine, where you could put all the money in, and get a money off shopping voucher at the end.  I used to love the noise it made when I poured the money in.

The machine disappeared in 2020 and never returned, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I hope you bagged up the money for them so that it could be weighed.  I worked in the banking industry for 40 years, and in my cashiering days the only customers that were universally reviled were those who paid in large amounts of coin which was not properly bagged. 

No,all bagged propper. We asked for more bags just to let them know.  ."We'll be back '.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

That's brilliant

Our local Sainsbury's had a coin counting machine, where you could put all the money in, and get a money off shopping voucher at the end.  I used to love the noise it made when I poured the money in.

The machine disappeared in 2020 and never returned, unfortunately. 

Morrisons had one. Only 7.5% fee.😉

• Like 2

I stopped working in December 2014, and for the whole of those nearly nine years I've had two colds, both contracted on cruises.

However, that record has ended, as I now have my first non cruise contracted cold since I retired.

I have no idea how I caught it, as we have done nothing different, and my husband hasn't succumbed to it either.

It doesn't appear to be the 'unmentionable', as I've tested negative several times, but the coughing is worse than when I had the 'unmentionable' in August.  I've lost my sense of smell as well. 

I don't feel unwell, I'm just hacked off with the hacking cough!  

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I love those machines! My OH runs a football side and the lads all pay in cash.  Strangely no one ever puts a note in and I had the dubious honour of counting and bagging it every month. The bank my OH uses doesn't have the counting machine so I take the money to my own bank and get it put in my account and then do a quick transfer to the other bank.  It saves me a good hour of huffing and puffing and double checking.

And for good measure I'm being good and visiting two banks to keep them open.  Actually we're very lucky as every major bank has a branch open here, we only lost TSB and RBS (the latter we can use Natwest for though so not a real loss). I think we are a very rare animal now.

We use the bank counter and supermarket tills. We went to Nando's for lunch. The man said ' you can pay and order at the counter, or use the app. Are folk trying to put themselves on the dole ?......you can cook it on the app,or do it yourself if don't want to wait.😡

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

You'd think that machine took allsorts.

• Haha 7

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We use the bank counter and supermarket tills. We went to Nando's for lunch. The man said ' you can pay and order at the counter, or use the app. Are folk trying to put themselves on the dole ?......you can cook it on the app,or do it yourself if don't want to wait.😡

One of my banks encouraged me to use the paying in machine. When I said I'd rather use the counter and surely that was better for her she told me HO looks at the machines and if a certain amount of use doesn't occur the branch is considered as at risk of closure. Couldn't understand at first then she explained it was expected the machine handled "X" transactions an hour compared to the counter person with "Y" and if the overall total wasn't "Z" it was felt the branch was under used.  Seemed totally crazy to me.

The change machine gives you a slip to pay into your account so you can choose to use the counter if you wish, just lose the bagging up bit.

2 hours ago, kalos said:

We had a run out to see our youngest granddaughter Who's aged one and will

really take in Christmas this year . Whilst out fuelled the car up first time since returning from Southampton . Walking out the garage a guy (looked like a builder said " innit cold , Ive got three layers on and still freezing ."

We have bright sunshine but it's perishing today , car only took £32 in petrol and once we had done visiting we opted to support our local chippy and buy them click and collect , no money needed card payment . If we had used cash I would probably have to go to town due to me having all this lose change and see if any bank would take it as ours are now closed .

@brian1 last time I had chips liver and onions they were lovely but had to travel out of town and stand in a Wickes carpark to eat them 🙃

Funny thing is go back to the 70's /80 s we could have got them in our town centre but the cafes etc that sold them are not there anymore since the closure of pits and steelworks and others .

Most of our things are now on the outskirts of town not within .

Funny the way things pan out I fuelled the car bought us a chippy without using cash and used just the card and best of all I have never banked online or have an account that runs online .

No thanks to the banks that seem to want us pushed that way .🤔

Our Turkish cafe only takes cash.He is a West Ham supporter though "up the 'ammers innit"so he must be honest.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

One of my banks encouraged me to use the paying in machine. When I said I'd rather use the counter and surely that was better for her she told me HO looks at the machines and if a certain amount of use doesn't occur the branch is considered as at risk of closure. Couldn't understand at first then she explained it was expected the machine handled "X" transactions an hour compared to the counter person with "Y" and if the overall total wasn't "Z" it was felt the branch was under used.  Seemed totally crazy to me.

The change machine gives you a slip to pay into your account so you can choose to use the counter if you wish, just lose the bagging up bit.

We bank with Lloyd's. We also have a Nationwide branch 20 meters away. When we do our questionnaire I point out that if they shut the branch I have a plan B.

Edited by zap99

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

DW got some presents from M&S. I said I'll have a wander around the food hall and meet you in the new Danish shop. Sostrene Grene ( predictive had fun with that ). I thought " I could have had a trip to the Amazon site, but it's not the same is it. The Carol singing reindeer were working, but Santa's had gone to lunch......I quite enjoy Christmas🎅

Good old M&S, my much missed late wife was an avid user of M&S, I was so glad when they did away with the St. Michael logo, always had a fear that were I to be involved in an accident and someone searched me looking for i.d. they would probably assume my name was St. Michael😳.

• Haha 9

2 minutes ago, Grandad John said:

Good old M&S, my much missed late wife was an avid user of M&S, I was so glad when they did away with the St. Michael logo, always had a fear that were I to be involved in an accident and someone searched me looking for i.d. they would probably assume my name was St. Michael😳.

My wife worked for C&A. Best not.....🤐

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, brian1 said:

BIL is 79 today,he said he'd take us for lunch.No pub lunch or restaurant just the cafe 100 yards over the road.All the best greasy spoons in London now IMO are Turkish owned and this is one of them.I had liver,bacon onions,chips,beans,2 eggs and a slice and it was a feast,lol.Walking up the gym now to burn it off.

Last summer we had to nip over to Basildon to sort out some personal admin.  Hadn't been there for years.  Wandered around the town centre area for a little while.  I couldn't believe the amount of Turkish greasy spoons that were now there.  All busy as well.  If we'd have known that beforehand we would have gone a bit earlier and had a breakfast.  With a big bottle of Efes as well!

• Like 3