Would you trade your 100% FCC for 80% cash back?

I canceled under the cruise with confidence offer before refunds were being offered. When they canceled and offered 100% refund or 125% FCC that was a better deal for most people.  

But I am looking at this from the flip side; without knowing how long this crisis continues, when cruises will resume or what pricing will look like, if my or my spouses job will be secure, or if the company survives even, I'm looking at the FCC at best as just a coupon discount on a future cruise and at worst it turns to a value of $0 (which given the nearness of my sail date would have been the refund due for cancellation unless I had used my trip insurance). 

That said though instead of wanting the additional credit on the FCC others got (that's great for them, I'm not jealous and don't want to take anything from them) if I had the option to forego the FCC and get 80% cash refund I would.  

Anyone else? 

Where did you come up with 80%?  It's kind of random.  But, nope.  We have b2b booked in May and another in Nov plus a Celebrity cruise in July 2021 so we'll use it eventually.  Royal will survive.

Well, I am supposed to sail May 30th.  I priced out the exact same cruise in June of 2021. If our sailing is cancelled, the 125% FCC would not come close to covering the 2021 cruise. May cruises are cheaper than June cruises and the price may drop, but still... 

My 401(k) is falling faster than a lead balloon.  The financial news leaves me sick to my stomach. If only 80% was offered, I don't know what I would do. I would think about taking the cash and running with it.  I should have done that with my 401 (k) when I had the chance. At least I am able to put food on the table and have a job.  My heart goes out to so many many people affected by this halting of society.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, luv2sailAgain said:

Well, I am supposed to sail May 30th.  I priced out the exact same cruise in June of 2021. If our sailing is cancelled, the 125% FCC would not come close to covering the 2021 cruise. May cruises are cheaper than June cruises and the price may drop, but still... 

My 401(k) is falling faster than a lead balloon.  The financial news leaves me sick to my stomach. If only 80% was offered, I don't know what I would do. I would think about taking the cash and running with it.  I should have done that with my 401 (k) when I had the chance. At least I am able to put food on the table and have a job.  My heart goes out to so many many people affected by this halting of society.

Your 401 will come back.  Historically, the stock market has averaged a 10% return every year.  So, what was your balance a year ago compared to today?  Two years ago?  You have only lost money if you cash it in.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BND said:

Your 401 will come back.  Historically, the stock market has averaged a 10% return every year.  So, what was your balance a year ago compared to today?  Two years ago?  You have only lost money if you cash it in.

I hope you are right. People are much more important than money. I hope the sick get the help they need. It is just hard to see several years of gains slip away in days and the worst may be yet to come. 

I have to make different choice (with Costa.)

Either take my 2 deposits back (full refund of deposit)

or

have them transferred to 2 future Cruises sailing before 30th November 2020 and get a 30% discount on both.

What do you think I should do

Yep, I’d take the 80% cash. In fact, my cancel for any reason insurance only gives me 75% cash and I’m way more happy knowing I have that option than feeling like I’m forced to take an FCC that I might not be able to use within the year.

The plus side to the insurance option is that I also get my airfare back, which is thousands of dollars, and without the insurance I’d be forced to take a credit from the airline too. I’d rather have cash I can control than a credit I may not get to use.

So many people didn’t buy insurance and were supposedly ok with losing 100% of their money and are now saying they wouldn’t take the 80%? I think if it was really an option, people would take it.

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, drsel said:
16 minutes ago, Norwich Cruiser said:
I’d stick with the FCC

Do you realise that in order to use your fcc you have to pay much more for your future Cruise (compared to the price you paid) for the exact same cabin same Cruise

That’s not entirely true.

Many may be more expensive at this present time but definitely not 100% some are in line it’s really up to the individual to wait and see and know when to book what they may be looking for and if happy with the price to book then also try and be flexible if at all possible.

I’d like to think prices will drop but nobody knows for sure what will happen in the future or even when cruising will be recommenced.

We have 2 cruises in April . One has been cancelled by Royal and the other one will be too soon. We are taking the 125% FCC and going to apply it to the 10 other cruises we already have book at good rates. Where else can you make 25% on your investment at this time. Our FCC is for 27 days cruising so it will be enough to pay off several of our cruises. If we didn't have any already booked, or if we were having job or financial stress other than the stock market, I would take the refund. Good luck to everyone having to make a decision.

1 hour ago, drsel said:

What about the air fare for the new dates.
is it much more

That’s very unfortunate for you if your air fare is more but we were talking about the cruise pricing.

We still being offered excellent in my humble opinion deals.

I’ll just throw you one cruise offer up not for everyone I know but to give you some idea it landed in my in box this morning.

3 nights hotel in New York stay

9 night cruise on Adventure of the Seas

Departing from the U.K. on 7th September 2020

Including flights from London Gatwick lead in price £1229.00

There really are still deals to be had I do hope you and your family stay safe at these uncertain times and find a cruise that suits you and your family.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drsel said:

I am getting deals in Asia for less than 90 dollars a day including Cruise fare gratuities, airfare and visas

Really? I have a cruise currently booked from Singapore In June (that I’m really looking forward to but am highly likely to cancel),  and the current price for it is 50% more than I paid for it. To top it off, I got the refreshment package for $18/day, and as of yesterday it’s selling for $28/day. The price has done nothing but go up since this whole coronavirus thing became an issue.

Edited by ARandomTraveler