Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

Just paid the balance for our September QE Western Med fly-cruise so getting excited all over again. First time for a Fly - Cruise out of Barcelona, as they aren't really my thing, but the price was right and it is a whole bunch of new ports for Jane.

We also received an email about extra villa availability when we are out in Cyprus in July so I'm trying to persuade Jane that an extra two weeks lying by the pool will be good for my rehabilitation.

Edited by rakkor
  • Like 5

Packing done. A total of nine people have been told to go their staterooms today. Those are the only ones this cruise. 

Weather is glorious now was out on deck for about an hour this morning.  Sadly I have to get off tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the updates LL. I've got my eye on a couple of September cruises but for the moment we're enjoying some beautiful Pembrokeshire weather. Mr HH went for his look round the Navy ship (built in Southampton) and then we had a lovely lunch in Dale.

DSC03629.JPG

IMG_20220528_142137837_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

@Lanky Lad Thought of you today as I watched the BBC show “Antique Road Trips” as they were in Lancashire. I am binge watching as I quilted and loving the lovely countryside. When I suggested we rent a car and drive outside of London to really see England I was met with, “No way I can drive on the wrong side of the road.” 🙂 

Holiday Monday (Memorial Day) here at home.

Scruffy Dog (Dobby) can barely contain his excitement.  Also, MisterTonopah and I made a ginormous plain apple pie. Summer is just around the corner and our QM2 trip is exactly 5 months away! Hope you all are doing well.

D1631C24-AB87-4497-87CC-1BA56FDCC652.jpeg

B48B276C-70B3-4346-BD11-87248260EF75.jpeg

• Like 3

Looks lovely, it would normally be a Bank Holiday here today but it's been moved to the end of the week to make a 4 day weekend for the Platinum Jubilee. I took the day off anyway and we travelled back from Pembrokeshire this afternoon.

Biggles is a pretty good traveller, he jumped in the car on his own while we were packing up !

@techteach and all the roundabouts ! It's not too bad if you can get an automatic.

IMG_20220528_165630442_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

@Host Hattie We can handle roundabouts - have them here, but going in the opposite direction? That could be scary! Look at sweet Biggles! I miss our cats…but not the litter box! I was thinking of all of our CC Brit friends and wondering what you are all doing for the Jubilee. I hope it is a great time for all! @Lanky Lad @exlondoner @rakkor @Bell Boy @John Bull @Solent Richard Long Live The Queen!

• Like 2

Techteach, the key to driving on the 'wrong side of the road is hiring a car in that country. We have driven our own car to France many, many times and have managed the driving on the 'wrong' side pretty well. However, one year our car broke down when we were away, and we had to hire a car in France. It was so much easier to drive!

As for the jubilee, we are off to London on Thursday to have a Jubilee Afternoon Tea at the Dorchester Hotel! I have just found out it is the day of the big fly past over Buckingham Palace, which is nearby. So we are hoping to be able to get into a position to see all the planes flying over, before going for our tea. The Afternoon Tea is actually a present for my 60th burthday last year. We were very lucky to be able to book their jubilee tea, which is only running for a few days.

Does anyone else gave any jubilee plans?

Edited by Camgirl
Autocorrect
  • Like 1

@Camgirl I’m so glad you get to have tea at the Dorchester. The room is lovely and I’m sure it will be buzzing. You’re in a great place to watch a fly-over!  Up the street is a great book shop called Haywood Hill, I think like 4 blocks. I would love to get out of London and just drive out into the country to see the small towns they visit on the Antique Road Trip program. Enjoy your week of festivities!

• Like 1

@techteachLots of small towns can be reached by train if you really don't want to drive.

@Camgirl that sounds lovely. We've been invited to a party on Saturday but although our friend has a fairly big house and garden I'm not sure it's going to fit all the people he has invited !

• Like 2

On 5/30/2022 at 4:33 AM, techteach said:

@Lanky Lad Thought of you today as I watched the BBC show “Antique Road Trips” as they were in Lancashire. I am binge watching as I quilted and loving the lovely countryside. When I suggested we rent a car and drive outside of London to really see England I was met with, “No way I can drive on the wrong side of the road.” 🙂 

Thanks @techteach sadly, I am working Thursday Friday. There is some lovely countryside around here. Some of the Road Trips have been filmed not far from where I live.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 4:40 AM, techteach said:

@Host Hattie We can handle roundabouts - have them here, but going in the opposite direction? That could be scary! Look at sweet Biggles! I miss our cats…but not the litter box! I was thinking of all of our CC Brit friends and wondering what you are all doing for the Jubilee. I hope it is a great time for all! @Lanky Lad @exlondoner @rakkor @Bell Boy @John Bull @Solent Richard Long Live The Queen!

Easily answered TT.

I kicked off this morning by decorating our waterfront balcony with some bunting and the Royal Standard...

716147235_RoyalStandard3.thumb.jpg.51d3d6c550d12d3d036520bceec119b9.jpg

Tomorrow I will be joining in with the village entertainment while my wife heads off to sing with the Portsmouth Military Wives Choir at Portchester Castle 'Beacon' ceremony.

P1020451.thumb.JPG.6567639551a13f6f112fced9be167a28.JPG

P1020431.thumb.JPG.f7a8be225edc89ae3de922eb00169a4b.JPG 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, techteach said:

@Solent Richard Thanks for the wonderful pictures, and I’m glad you both get to enjoy the festivities tomorrow. I will have to look up the Portchester Castle to learn more. Enjoy your day tomorrow. - Susan

Thank you. There is also a 'beacon' at our village but it's an unofficial one.

We've decorated the waterfront as part of the celebrations. 

596800932_LeeFrontJubileeWeekendJune2022.thumb.jpg.2599edf788f8416d550fd6e6fb21a103.jpg

• Like 2

We had a fabulous day in London. We managed to see the fly past. Then, as we were heading for Hyde Park from Green Park, the traffic was all stopped next to us and all the gun carriages pulled by teams of horses came past us after the gun salute! 

Then on to the Dorchester for a superb Jubilee Afternoon Tea. 

20220602133957.JPG

20220602_131538.jpg

20220602_163100.jpg

• Like 6

We went to a garden party yesterday, lots of people we've not seen for a few years so it was a lovely afternoon.

We watched the first part of the concert at the Palace, loved the Queen and Paddington !

The weather isn't very good today so most of the local picnics seem to be moving indoors.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

We watched the first part of the concert at the Palace, loved the Queen and Paddington !

Yes it was very funny. Watched the programme yesterday and parts of it again today. The drone light show at the end was amazing! Anyone who missed it can watch parts on Youtube and photos of it can be found on Google Images.

• Like 2

I was only a year old so I don't really remember it, but my family lived in London the year the Queen was crowned and I was told I saw some of the pageantry.  I've been a huge fan for 70 years and I admire her greatly.  

We're back from a cruise to Norway (Silversea; nice but we won't do them again).  I wondered if travel would still be so alluring after the 2 1/2 hiatus, and I can tell you I am now raring to do more.  I"m already dreaming about the next trip(s).  We had some FTCs remaining and booked a 2-day cruise to Hamburg in October, after which we'll go to southern Germany and see the sights by car .  And then there is the 5-times rebooked QE cruise next April (Japan-Spain-Japan-Japan-Japan).   And maybe the Grand Canyon, at long last?  

• Like 3

MisterTonopah and I have tested negative for the Dread Disease. We’re now at the airport headed to Miami for our niece’s twice-postponed wedding and subsequent 3=day cruise. It will be our first time on a ship in 4 years and our first time on a party cruise. 💃🏻🕺🍷🍹✈️🛳

• Like 4